PDA

View Full Version : Angle top for my drill press table......

Bill Huber
07-04-2009, 5:49 PM
I have an old Craftsman drill press I bought on sale in 1975 and its a good old drill press. It does have some short comings, one was it was very hard to raise the table because it had no crank like the new ones do, I fix that.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=99522&highlight=drill+press

The other problem was the table can not be angled like the newer models. That's not a real big deal but I have wanted to drill some holes at an angle and had to use one of those things for a portable drill, which I HATE.

Well I fixed that one today.

Here it is, nothing really fancy but it works very well. 2 15 x 24 MDF boards glued together, some scrap blocks of maple, a hinge and some hardware.

The way it is pictured I can raise it up to about 20 degrees, I have made some longer supports that will let me raise it to 45 degrees. I use my Wixey digital protractor to set the the angle that I need.

I set it on my main table and attach it with 2 five point 5/16-18 knobs to inserts in the maple, then attach the 2 supports and I am off and drilling. I added some T-Track so I have something to clamp with.

122346 122347

122348 122349

David G Baker
07-04-2009, 6:03 PM
Bill,
Great idea.
I looked at your post on your hydraulic table raiser, another great idea. My Craftsman drill press is a Craftsman Commercial purchased in 1973 so it is probably the same as yours. I mounded a heavy spring to the back of the table and the drill press head, this makes it easy to move the table up and down. The spring is 2 inches in diameter and around 18 inches long when relaxed. The only problem with it is if I want to lower the table close to the base, I have to remove the spring. I keep an xz table mounted to it because I use it more than any other thing. I am going to get another drill press used exclusively for wood and give your tilt table a try.

Bruce Page
07-04-2009, 6:26 PM
Slick setup Bill. It looks a lot like the sine plates I used to use for precision angle machining.

This 12” X 12” plate is only $2,900 from Amazon…

Ron Lynch
07-04-2009, 7:41 PM
Yes indeed, you made yourself a sine plate. That Wixey gizmo has got to be easier to use than trig tables. Nice job

Bill Huber
07-04-2009, 9:00 PM
Bill,
Great idea.
I looked at your post on your hydraulic table raiser, another great idea. My Craftsman drill press is a Craftsman Commercial purchased in 1973 so it is probably the same as yours. I mounded a heavy spring to the back of the table and the drill press head, this makes it easy to move the table up and down. The spring is 2 inches in diameter and around 18 inches long when relaxed. The only problem with it is if I want to lower the table close to the base, I have to remove the spring. I keep an xz table mounted to it because I use it more than any other thing. I am going to get another drill press used exclusively for wood and give your tilt table a try.

Well I was going to try a weight in the center and a cable and pulley but never found what I wanted to use for the weights. Then I was going to use a boat wench but the space where the drill press is was kind of tight. So thats why I went with the jack.

I think most of the newer ones have a tilting table which would be nice.

My old drill press is still doing so good I just think I will keep it for awhile.

Bill Huber
07-04-2009, 9:01 PM
Slick setup Bill. It looks a lot like the sine plates I used to use for precision angle machining.

This 12” X 12” plate is only $2,900 from Amazon…

Well mine is 24x15 and it cost a little less then that....:D:D

Bill Huber
07-04-2009, 9:04 PM
Yes indeed, you made yourself a sine plate. That Wixey gizmo has got to be easier to use than trig tables. Nice job

That is what I was going to say, a sine plate but was not sure people would know what I was talking about.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

But it is neat to know what its called.