PDA

View Full Version : Help with deck posts

Gordy Anderson
07-04-2009, 5:44 PM
Anyone have any good tips for cutting the tops of deck posts so they end up level and flat? I've tried a circular saw, jig saw and sawzall, and can't deem to make an acceptable cut.

TIA
Gordy

Ben Franz
07-04-2009, 6:46 PM
Couple of suggestions:

1. Mark post all 4 sides w/square. Check Skilsaw or circ. saw blade for square to base. Cut from opposite sides and clean up with belt sander to marks.

2. Make a 4-sided guide that slips over the post. Clamp or screw to post at an offset below cut line. Offset distance is same as saw blade distance from edge of base. Check saw blade for square and use guide to position saw from 2 opposite sides. Clean up with belt sander if needed.

3. Rough cut and install some of those cheesy prefab post caps the BORG sells.

4. Rough cut, call it done, drink enough to obscure results (not my recommended approach but may work for some).

Happy 4th, Ben

John Jendro
07-04-2009, 7:13 PM
I used my 12" miter saw, to me thats the best way, but I'm guessing you don't have one or you would have used it. So forget I mentioned it.

John

Dan Friedrichs
07-04-2009, 7:47 PM
Even a 10" miter saw would do - if they're 4x4's, they're really less, and you should be able to cut all the way through one.

John Jendro
07-04-2009, 7:55 PM
Yes a 10 inch saw would work. I just said 12 because that's what I have, but re-reading the OP I'm guessing he doesn't have either one. Maybe you know someone you could borrow one from.

Cody Colston
07-04-2009, 8:24 PM
I got the impression the posts are already set and he's cutting them off to the final height.

I'd probably just mark a line around the post and use my speed square as a saw guide for my Skillsaw and saw from opposite sides. But, if that doesn't work for you, then use the suggestion to slip a four-sided guide over the post, screwed in place the same as the blade-to-edge distance on the circular saw.

Edit In: If the tops are to be level, the post has to be plumb.

Jamie Buxton
07-04-2009, 8:35 PM
A hand saw -- either a pull-saw, or a bow saw. They both will have the capacity to cut through the post in one pass, unlike the circular saw. In softwoods, particularly the green stuff you're probably using, it'll only take a couple minutes to cut through each post.

Paul Ryan
07-04-2009, 9:18 PM
A HAND SAW, how can you speak of such things. That should be in the neander section. I though we were all electric junkies over hear. Besides the hand saw makes too much sense, and entirly too physically strenuous.

Greg Hines, MD
07-04-2009, 9:45 PM
I would probably use a chain saw, personally.

Doc

Fred Belknap
07-05-2009, 8:32 AM
I have cut several and usually getting to the cut is the problem. Using a circular saw off a ladder can be scary. I usually make a line around the part to be cut then use a circular saw set to go slightly less than half way through then finish with a handsaw, safer that way.

David G Baker
07-05-2009, 10:41 AM
If the posts are in the ground standing upright I use a chainsaw. If the posts are not fastened I use a 10" miter saw and the ends have turned out fine, if not I build a jig and use a router to smooth them out.

Joe Bradshaw
07-05-2009, 12:39 PM
I personally use my Skil model 77 wormdrive saw with a bigfoot kit. This enables one to use a 10" blade and make cuts through 4x material. I used it quite a bit while I was fencing in pastures for the LOML's donkeys.

Bob Lloyd
07-05-2009, 7:44 PM
Gordy

I have always used a circular saw cutting half way through from two sides. I question as to why you want them level and flat; they will collect water that way and do not look too attractive. If you are leaving them bare, I have always cut a 45 degree bevel on them. If you are going to use a post cap, the horizontal cut does not have to be perfect anyway.

Bob