PDA

View Full Version : Laguna LT18 Bandsaw Motor Upgrade

Scot Ferraro
07-04-2009, 4:53 PM
Hi everyone,

I guess this is the year of upgrades for my tools. I recently bought and installed the motor upgrade from Laguna to change the older Euro-style motor to a 4.5 HP Baldor motor. I have been doing a lot of resawing lately and my older motor ran extremely hot and I felt like I was pushing it too hard and that I needed more power.

The conversion took about an hour from start to finish and Laguna was helpful in answering some questions on rewiring the machine (Euro machines use a slightly different color code for the lead wires and neutral and I wanted to confirm that I had it right). There is a substantial aluminum plate (one inch thick) that mounts on the face of the motor to allow for the metric bolts on the bandsaw frame. This simply mounts to the top of the motor and is secured with four large bolts. There are two threaded rods that attach the motor assembly to the saw and Laguna supplies a new pulley that fits the Euro (metric) belt and the standard size arbor on the motor. I used a little thread-lock on the rods when I secured them to the motor -- just a little added insurance. The new motor weighs close to 70 pounds and I recommend an assistant to help thread the nuts onto the threaded rods (this is done from inside the saw). Once it is mounted it is simply a matter of getting the belt on the new pulley, tightening everything and setting the proper tension on the belt. The only thing that Laguna did not provide was any written instructions. While the install was pretty straight-forward, it would have been nice to see some instructions.

All I can say is that this is a noticeable upgrade to the saw -- it is like a totally different machine! :D The motor runs very smooth and quiet and it is warm to the touch, even after some heavy resawing. It has a lot more torque and I do not feel it bogging down or hesitating at all -- I can feed much faster than before. All in all I have extremely pleased with this upgrade and I would recommend it to anyone with an older saw looking to get more power and a better motor.

I have posted some pics so that you can see the difference in motor size between the Baldor and the Euro motor (Bonara brand, I believe) and hardware that came with the kit.

Thanks!

Scot

James Baker SD
07-04-2009, 5:25 PM
Hi Scot:

Can you still run the bandsaw on a 20 amp breaker or does it now require a 30 amp? Does the new motor interfere with the dust collection port at all?

James

Scot Ferraro
07-04-2009, 5:32 PM
Hi James,

The motor is rated at 18.2 AMPs so a 20 amp circuit should work fine. Everything in my shop is on a 30 amp circuit so I cannot confirm that this is the case, but I think it would not be a problem. It does not interfere with the table tilt or with the dust collection port at all.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Scot

Arnold E Schnitzer
07-05-2009, 9:28 AM
I have that same saw with the Baldor. The power and smoothness is incredible! Good move you have made.

Mike Wilkins
07-06-2009, 9:24 AM
Sounds like a nice upgrade. I may be thinking of upgrading my own LT18 after resawing some Maple recently. I thought it took more effort to make a 10" resaw cut than normal, and more muscle might just be the ticket. Thanks.

Scot Ferraro
07-06-2009, 2:38 PM
Hi Mike,

Well worth the money IMHO -- give Rick a call and he can set you up. I only wish that I jumped on it sooner -- it would have sped up my kitchen remodel for sure.

Scot

James Baker SD
07-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Hi Scott:

I ordered the Baldor upgrade and unpacked it today. The 4 screws for mounting the adapter plate to the motor seem a little short. Do you have any concerns there? Inside the bag with the pulley, there are two bolts that appear to be for mounting the adapter to the saw. Same thread and about the same length as the threaded rods that came with the adapter. What was the deciding factor in choosing the threaded rods over the bolts? Thanks for your thoughts. As you said, a set of instructions from Laguna would have been nice.

James

Scot Ferraro
07-13-2009, 12:47 AM
Hi James,

The four bolts are pretty substantial and should hold the aluminum plate to the motor just fine (the plate fits the motor exactly and it is a tight fit and the lip on the plate surrounds the face of the motor). The reason why you need the threaded rod as opposed to the bolts that came with the saw is because it is much easier to screw the threaded rods into the plate (I used a little of the blue loctite on mine) and then slide the motor assembly into the holes on the frame than it would be to hold the motor and have someone ratchet the bolts onto the motor. Since they are the same thread size I suppose it would not matter, but I found that the threaded rods worked easier. I think that the short one goes on the left side of the motor (right side if you are looking at the inside of the saw toward the motor) and the longer bolt is mounted through the motor tension screw.

Let me know if you have any other questions or if my decription did not make sense.

Scot