PDA

View Full Version : Carter Bandsaw Guides Install

Don L Johnson
07-04-2009, 3:24 PM
I'm getting ready to install my new Carter guides on a Jet 18". Any suggestions out there? Also, anyone know of a website that might have a video of the process? Thanks.

Frank Drew
07-04-2009, 4:29 PM
Don

I got some as replacement guides for my 18" Oliver and, although it's been a long time, as I remember they mounted without any difficulty. Did you order yours specifically for your model saw?

Myk Rian
07-04-2009, 4:43 PM
I'm getting ready to install my new Carter guides on a Jet 18". Any suggestions out there? Also, anyone know of a website that might have a video of the process? Thanks.
Didn't they come with directions?
Try going to the carter website.
http://www.carterproducts.com/view_pdf.asp?cat_id=12

Brad Shipton
07-05-2009, 1:47 AM
Don, when I installed mine on a 20" GI I got the impression the Carter website did not have a lot of pictures (nor useful instructions) showing the machines in the background because they dont know how exactly they fit to each of the models. I know they retrofit very easily to numerous 14" models, and it sounds like it was pretty easy for the 18" Oliver, but I wound up fab'ing some parts to mount mine because I discovered the extra parts I should have ordered for mounting to my machine after I got the kit and did a bit of measuring. The kit for mine came with a 3/4" cup to attach to my machine, but if I recall the mounting post on mine was something like 1.125". I was not about to wait another two weeks for parts (I am in Canada) so I made a drawing of the parts I needed and was off to a fabricator. Hopefully another 18" Jet owner will reply. If not, its not tricky. You just need to do a bit of measuring.

Good luck. Its worth it in the end.

Brad

Don L Johnson
07-05-2009, 9:56 AM
Brad,

That's spot on to my situation. The cupped out area does not match the top post that it should be mounted on. In addition, the directions say to mount with screw provided. There was no screw (bolt) provided, and the hole in the Carter mounting plate is one large elongated hole, but the post has two smaller threaded screw connection points.

They didn't mention any additional mounting requirements when I called in the order originally, so I guess I will call them tomorrow to see what's up. Hopefully I'm misunderstanding something...and surely it will fit...I hope.

Don

Brad Shipton
07-06-2009, 12:14 PM
Don, I attached a couple pics of my install. They do have a variety of mounting parts on the website. All you need to measure is the horizontal offset (perpendicular to the blade) between the guide mount centerline and the blade. It could be something between 0" and about 1.125" if I recall correctly.

Here is a pic of my install. The lower mount was easy. A simple piece of 1.5" angle about 3" long. Drill a couple holes for the Carter block and self tapping screws to the BS. For the top mount I had one part made that fit to my existing.

Brad

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj176/Brad805/Shop/DSC01656-sm.jpg

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj176/Brad805/Shop/DSC01657-sm.jpg