PDA

View Full Version : Water based lacquer

mil ford
07-04-2009, 1:32 PM
I have read mixed reviews about this stuff. Can you share your experiences with it. Does it look like elmers glue after application? Does it spray well? Does it stick?

Dave Cav
07-04-2009, 1:58 PM
It's all we use in my high school wood shop classes. Mostly I've used Minwax brand, and it works pretty well, especially considering high school kids are applying it. I also dilute it about 25% with water to make it brush easier, go farther and to speed up the drying since we only have an hour at a time to work on projects. I have found that two to three (dilute) coats, with steel wool between coats, finished with paste wax, works pretty well. It dries very hard and seems to be quite durable when cured, and it dries pretty fast, although not nearly as fast as lacquer or shellac. Cleanup is very easy, too. Would I use it on my projects at home? Well, maybe. I generally use oil finishes and wiping varnishes, but if I was going to make kid's furniture or utility type furniture I would probably give it strong consideration. Water based finishes have come a long way in the past 10 or 15 years. When they first came out they were junk, but they are now (almost) the equal of solvent based finishes.

Barry Vabeach
07-04-2009, 1:59 PM
Mil, I suggest you go to a finishing forum to get more specifis. There are some water based laquers that are great and some not so great. Most people have positive things to say about Target, General Finishes, Hydrocote - FWW did a test a few years ago and liked those three manufacturers, IIRC. I have no problem spraying them with a HVLP gun.

Tommy Emmons
07-04-2009, 2:35 PM
Contact Charlie Plessums on this forum and send him a pm. He can really enlighten you on the dos and don't of water based laquer. He is a very good source of knowledge.

Mike OMelia
07-04-2009, 2:49 PM
I use Target Water Based coatings (Emtech 6000). Sprays well, and works well. So nice to know I will not be blowing myself up anytime soon!

Mike

Russ Massery
07-04-2009, 4:19 PM
Ditto on Mikes reply. I used it on my kitchen cabinets back in 05'.It Has held up great no problems as at all. I used Zinsser's sealcoat under it. Spray's great and clean up is very easy.

Mike OMelia
07-04-2009, 4:38 PM
If you are going to use Target coatings, I would strongly suggest you go hang out at their website forum. You can search it for endless awesome advice, and when you ask questions, company officials usually get in the mix. There are plenty of methods listed. The stuff dries in an hour and can be repsrayed then. Shrinks fully in about 72 hours. I wear a respirator, but the stuff is inflammable.

Mike

Steve knight
07-04-2009, 4:54 PM
I have been using some from rodda and miller or was it Sherwin Williams? both worked fine though they differ a bit on how well they flow. they dry in a hour or less and can be sanded in 2 or less three coats and finished in 8 hours or so for three coats.

Travis Porter
07-04-2009, 5:49 PM
I have used Target coatings WB USL pretty heavily. It is good stuff. When spraying when you start to see white on the piece, at least for me, you are reaching the point you will have runs so it is time to move on. Otherwise, it dries crystal clear. I have been able to recoat in 20 to 30 minutes.

Negatives - It takes more coats to build up a comparable thickness of finish than say Polyurethane (maybe I am doing something wrong). It raises the grain (so do all WB products).

For most stuff I have been spraying 3 to 4 coats and lightly scuff sanding and wiping down before the final coat only.

I have not tried pre-cat lacquer, but I am going to before long. I just have to spray it outside.