PDA

View Full Version : Sargent Plane

Ray Sheley
07-04-2009, 12:14 PM
A question for you experienced Plane restorers.
What is used for Early SARGENT PLANES? I believe the wood to be East India Mahogany, and I've heard both, that the planes are Jappaned, and also that the planes are painted. Any advice? Thanks.

Bob Barkto
07-04-2009, 2:12 PM
They used a number of species over the years.

Here is what I have in my observation notes.

The Hercules line and Sargents made near the end of production used a stained or painted hardwood (black), typically Beech or Birch, sometimes Soft Maple.

The VBM line and the early Sargeant lines used SEast Indian Mahogany (Pterocarpus dalbergioides)
AKA: Andaman Padauk, Andaman Islands Padauk, Vermilion, East Indian Redwood, Padauk or Andaman (Pterocarpus dalbergioides)
Common Names: andaman padauk, Andaman redwood.

According to Dave Heckel's book:
Rosewood (1884-1909);
East India Mahogany (1910-1924);
Mahogany (1925-1947);
Hardwood (1947-1950).

Forgot to add, the early planes I've seen were japanned. Only the very late production and the Hercules had paint from what I've seen.

Ray Sheley
07-04-2009, 2:49 PM
Thanks Bob,
I have the Dave Heckel book, and did see the notes on some of the woods, but not all. My main concern was the Jappaning vs. Paint and you came through beautifully. I suspected that the later planes (Very few SARGENT markings, etc.) were paint but couldn't prove it. If I ever get sufficient free time I want to restore a couple of planes that have no collector interest, and are saveable but too shabby to ignore as is.