PDA

View Full Version : Automotive Paint

Byron Trantham
08-29-2004, 9:56 AM
Does anyone out there know something about automotive paint? I want to spray a white finish on chairs. I figured that I could go to the local automotive store and buy the appropriate primer and paint. Any thoughts on this approach?
:confused:

Dennis Peacock
08-29-2004, 11:07 AM
My experiences with car paint only revealed to me that I don't want to be painting any furniture with it. Last stuff I bought and I got the cheaper paint was almost $150 a gallon. I even got to see some that was $400 a gallon.

Why automotive paint? Can't you use a good, high quality, oil based paint made for metal? It would most certainly be cheaper that a car paint.

Byron Trantham
08-29-2004, 11:18 AM
My experiences with car paint only revealed to me that I don't want to be painting any furniture with it. Last stuff I bought and I got the cheaper paint was almost $150 a gallon. I even got to see some that was $400 a gallon.

Why automotive paint? Can't you use a good, high quality, oil based paint made for metal? It would most certainly be cheaper that a car paint.

Dennis, the key here, is spraying. I suppose an oil based paint could be sprayed as long as it can be thinned. :confused:

Howard Acheson
08-29-2004, 11:33 AM
You can purchase sprayable lacquer paint for wood. Just go to a paint store and buy some lacquer based paint. No need for automotive paints.

Jamie Buxton
08-29-2004, 11:40 AM
What kind of spray rig do you have?

I shoot waterborne finishes with an HVLP. Homestead Finishes (http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/htdocs/targetcoatings.htm) and Compliant Spray (http://www.compliantspraysystems.com/index.htm) sell paints which are suitable for this kind of sprayer. They have standard colors, and will custom-color for you too.

Dennis Peacock
08-29-2004, 11:40 AM
Dennis, the key here, is spraying. I suppose an oil based paint could be sprayed as long as it can be thinned. :confused:

Yes-sir-ree....You can thin OBP....Use a viscosity cup and the right size tip and your in bidness. I'm with you Byron.....I really like the finish I get when I spray a finish. Shoot, I spray stain, lacquer, shellac, OBP and such....I just don't shoot any WBP. ;) The key to it all is the correct viscosity and the correct size tip on the gun.

Charles McKinley
08-29-2004, 1:59 PM
Hi Byron,

Auto paint cost will very widely based on supplier. Example: Shoot and shine plain old car enamal in Gloss Black from one auto parts store I deal with is $123/gal. I go down the street to the other supplier in town. PPG -Pittsburgh Plate Glass gloss black is $30!!! So shop around. The other place to look is a farm supply store for equipment enamal. Your local Pro Paint store (ex:Sherman Williams) can probably hook you up as well. Now that my little brother is home from Kuwait I'l be learning a lot about car painting, 3 cars and a truck on the list. If he doesn't go back over to work we will be rebuilding wrecked cars.

No affiliations with any brands or stores mentioned.

Dan Mages
08-30-2004, 10:27 AM
You can pick up small cans of auto touch up spray paint at your local dealership. I have purchased half sized cans of Chysler paint for about $10 a can.

Dan