PDA

View Full Version : Confirmat Screws

Mark Kristan
07-04-2009, 11:39 AM
Does anyone have experience with these? Before I bought them I did some research and while it seems they are really meant for particle board and MDF there are a lot of claims that they may be used with other materials. I'm building a book case out of 3/4" veneer core birch ply and maple. I plowed dado's for the shelves (three birch and two maple) but they're far from perfectly placed, snug-fitting dado's and I want to support the shelves with some sort of screws. At this point I have tried using two confiirmat screws to secure two pieces of maple to each other (in a hidden area). I'd say it took me like thirty seconds to drill the hole, the bit and the wood got so hot I thought the wood was going to catch fire, and there is so much resistance when I try to insert a screw into the hole I just made with that bit that I haven't been able to get one of the two screws in all the way (I tried with a power driver and just destroyed the head of the screw and had to discard it). I bought the screws and the bit from a specialty cabinet place so you'd think they sold me what I need (the bit looks to me like other stepped bits that are normally promoted with these screws). I'm wondering why it is so hard to drill the hole (I used a cordless drill - the bit has a hex head), why it is so difficult to insert the screws and whether I should consider using regular wood screws to secure the shelves to the sides. Any thoughts? TIA.

Mark

Michael Wildt
07-04-2009, 12:59 PM
I have only used confirmat screws with mdf, but used them on prefabricated particle board. When drilling in mdf the bit does get pretty warm, and you have to keep cleaning the whole due to the mdf material. Driving the screw in, philips bit, was a very tight fit and you had to put good pressure on the bit. Not sure if folks normally lube them with soap or similar.

With this tight fit even for mdf your material may not allow for enough compression by the screw. Your material may be too dense, if it is what I think it is.

Got the confirmat screws from Woodcraft and it could very well be that they are a bit on the soft side too.

Michael

Don Selke
07-04-2009, 1:19 PM
Hi Mark:

I use conformat screws in both melamine and MDF. I have never used them in plywood or solid material. They are primarly used for man made material.
There are two sizes of conformat screws. 7 X50 mm for 3/4" material and larger and 5 X 40 mm for 5/8 to 1/2" material. Make sure that you are using the correct size bit for drilling the holes and that the bit is designed for conformat screws. My bits are stepped in three sizes . I have never experienced your problem in inserting the screws. I would also recommend that you use a electric corded drill for drilling the holes.

lamar bailey
07-07-2009, 3:03 PM
I have used them quite a bit in MDF without the problems you are having. I have a set from mcFeelys.

John Lucas
07-07-2009, 7:57 PM
I too suggest a corded drill -- it can usaually run a little faster. No matter what, the hole can get clogged so when drilling back it out occasionally.

Don Abele
07-07-2009, 8:07 PM
Mark, when I did my kitchen cabinet remodel project I made all the boxes out of melamine and connected them all together with confirmat screws (purchased at McFeelys). I used their drill bit and pozi-drive bit. I used over 300 screws and never had the problems you mention. I used my Dewalt 18v cordless drill to bore the holes and my Bosch PS20 10v cordless driver to drive the screws.

One thing I recommend you check (as was kinda mentioned by John) - what is the rpm of your drill? My Dewalt is 1500 rpm while the Bosch is only 400. These are pale in comparision to the average corded drill which runs at about 3000 rpm. I would never think to try and drill with the Bosch and I know that drilling in hard/dense woods even with my 18v Dewalt is going to be somewhat slow going.

I just bought a Bosch PS40 10v and it has an 1800 rpm rating (I bought it to have a small compact DRILL - the impact drive is an added plus).

Be well,

Doc

Rob Wright
07-07-2009, 9:14 PM
You definitely need a Pozi bit to drive these screws. I have not had any problems with drilling these with a corded or cordless drill. I like using them a lot for MDF, Melamine, and plywood. Good luck...:)