PDA

View Full Version : Transtint dye with Arm-r-seal oil topcoat?

Scott Duncan
07-04-2009, 8:54 AM
Okay to mix transtint dye with General Finishes Arm-r-seal oil & urethane topcoat?

It seems to work okay if I first dissolve the dye in four-parts acetone first which is a tip I got from a Rockler guy.

I’m mixing up to 1/32 and got good looking results with several colors. The color my sister likes is dark walnut at 1/128 mix on a poplar piece. The piece is already finished with poly but she wants to darken it.

Is anyone else putting transtint in this oil topcoat?

Thanks,
Scott

Brian Kerley
07-04-2009, 9:34 AM
All I know is that when I put transtint in oil, it doesn't mix. I believe it is alcohol soluble (that's why the acetone works), so you need to mix it into something like shellac. I would also think you want a dye in the first coat, so it soaks in, instead of in the top coat.

Gary Herrmann
07-04-2009, 10:56 AM
I've mixed transtint using mineral spirits as the solution when applied on small turnings and gotten good color. These are first coats till I'm happy with the color. Finish goes on top when dry.

Scott Duncan
07-04-2009, 12:38 PM
I guess what I am trying to do is tone it. They already finished the piece with poly and don’t like and asked me to help make it darker. I’ve added oils stains to oil poly before with good results but haven’t done it with Transtint. (I realize that I could use shellac (with transtint) but the piece so large and shellac dries so fast I’m afraid I would have trouble controlling it.)

-Scott