PDA

View Full Version : 4th of July fireworks

harry strasil
07-03-2009, 10:20 PM
I am getting so I hate the 4th and fireworks, them big loud aerial bombs especially. I went out side and one went off real close and I was trying to get under cover of my minivan, no sleep now for a week maybe, bad dreams at night again.

Sorry, for the rant.

george wilson
07-03-2009, 10:26 PM
I used to think the people behind me were shooting,till I found out they were firecrackers. Sounded like a .22 pistol.

I shoot myself,but it makes me nervous when people are shooting nearby,and I don't know how experienced they are. I don't shoot in my own yard. My other neighbors were a bunch of maniacs who would suddenly empty out a 9mm automatic as fast as they could very early in the morning,or late at night. Glad they moved out.

Jim Barrett
07-03-2009, 10:56 PM
My feelings exactly..I am glad to be heading up to Canada tomorrow afternoon....

Jim Koepke
07-03-2009, 11:17 PM
I am with you on this one Junior.

I will be glad when the 4th is past. Some of the neighbors have been really lighting them of around here. What is amazing, is there are not that many people close by. Guess it is all relative though, as long as they keep marrying their relatives, the kids are going to be a bit rambunctious.

There are a few shooters here, but most of them seem responsible enough to be aiming into the hill when sighting their riffles or target practicing.

jim

harry strasil
07-03-2009, 11:30 PM
Been 45 years since I got out of the Navy, but in the last few years some things have come back to haunt me. VA won't help as there is no paperwork to back up where I was or what I did. I guess I was just young and stupid them years. But, they asked if I could do what they needed and I said, Yes. Some nights a lot gets done down in the woodshop. LOL

Like they say, Old age ain't for sissies.

Wes Grass
07-04-2009, 1:32 AM
The noise doesn't bother me much. Not too worried about getting hit with a stray bullet either. My sister took that one for us, so what are the odds of 2 in the family?

I'm more concerned with fire. I live out in the sticks. Nothing but trees and brush as far as the eye can see. And it hasn't exactly been wet this year. Fortunately it hasn't been all that hot either ... yet. Hoping this year will be as quiet as last. Also hoping I won't be walking out in the morning smelling the smoke, and seeing the ash floating in the air, and wondering if I should throw some valuables in the car just in case.

Carl Maeda-San Diego
07-04-2009, 3:39 AM
Not sure how it is in Virginia but in California, it is against the law to shoot a firearm in your backyard or anywhere else for that matter unless the property has the proper permits.

george wilson
07-04-2009, 9:12 AM
You can shoot in your back yard in Va..you must be so many hundred yards from a road,or other houses,can't recall. Some people do it anyway,and if their neighbors do it too,they get by with it,if you live in a rural area as I do.

Maurice Ungaro
07-04-2009, 8:33 PM
Harry,
On this 4th day of July, allow me to thank you for your service to our country. While it does nothing to make your nights more restful, I hope you realize that without people like you, there would be no 4th to celebrate.

Obviously, those who carelessly shoot off fireworks have never been on the receiving end of the real thing.

george wilson
07-04-2009, 9:43 PM
Someone in Oracoke(sp?) set off a whole truckload of fireworks setting up a show,and I think someone (or 2) was killed. They said 40 minutes of fireworks went off in 4 seconds.

Jim Rimmer
07-04-2009, 11:42 PM
Harry,
On this 4th day of July, allow me to thank you for your service to our country. While it does nothing to make your nights more restful, I hope you realize that without people like you, there would be no 4th to celebrate.

Obviously, those who carelessly shoot off fireworks have never been on the receiving end of the real thing.

Same sentiments from me, Harry, and all the other vets out there. Thanks for your service and my freedom.