PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 17" Band saw: More slick lights.

Art Bianconi
07-03-2009, 9:01 PM
I went to buy some casters and cheap saw blades at Harbour Freight (Shhhhh.. . . Please don't tell!)

While there I chanced across a goose neck mini lamp that promises to eliminate the shadow at the saw cut. I discussed this problem in my earlier post on lights for the Grizzly.

It does a perfect job. The LED head slips nicely inside the red blade guard and while the blade is admittedly near by, there is ample room and no risk of interference once it's secured.

It's powered by three common tiny batteries and is equipped with a red laser of questionable value as well as small but powerful magnet. I suppose the magnet mind lend itself to securing the lamp. We'll see.

At $2.99 for the whole unit and three spare batteries, how could I say no?

BTW, the shot taken of the new small lamp, was done without benefit of the lights installed earlier.

Art

John Thompson
07-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the tip on the LED light, Art. I have a 600 lb. Industrial floor mortiser that has a monster clamp in front that hides the actual cut line with narrow stock. That would be the ticket in lieu of the corded goose-neck I now use as light is essential to alignment in this case. That thing has a tendency for the magnet to slip as I have to bend it in a contorsion to direct it where I need it.

Art Bianconi
07-04-2009, 8:34 PM
As you can see from the photos, I've not yet made a permanent installation. Duct tape is good only for just so long. Please let us know how you do it.

Thanks

Art

Dave Wagner
07-04-2009, 9:02 PM
I found these for small LED lights for projects, and tight spaces, works great!

http://www.mach1performance.org/lumalite/

Art Bianconi
07-05-2009, 2:55 AM
Those are nice Dave, especially under the hood of your car or for a trunk light which my car lacks. However, to eliminate the shadow at the saw blade, they have the same problem as the fluorescent lights I installed on the overhead. Too big. The shadow formed by the lower blade bearing support hides the blade and the piece being cut.

I needed something tiny, bright and with a flex neck. The Harbour Freight unit is perfect and, at only $2.99, much less expensive.

I will get the other light you suggested, but not for this application.

Thanks

Art