PDA

View Full Version : Sandpaper

Bernie Vail
07-03-2009, 7:28 PM
What type of sandpaper do people use? The only thing my local bigbox carries is Norton 3X, and I wonder if there is a better paper around.

Bruce McElhaney
07-03-2009, 7:59 PM
As far as paper sheets go, Norton 3X is pretty good sandpaper and the price is right when purshased in contractor packs. It's the brand I use. Klingspor is high qualty sandpaper also, but not as ealily available in my area.

Bob Hamilton
07-03-2009, 10:16 PM
I bought some paper last year from a place called Industrial Abrasives. The paper is called Rhynogrip. You can get the hook & loop paper in 1 yard by 1 yard sheets and cut it to any size you want. I think I have only used 1/4 of a sheet of each grit I bought so far. I cut three 3" strips off each sheet and then cut the strips into 3" squares, so that gave me 3 dozen squares of each grit and I haven't gone through them yet to need to cut more. The squares seem to work fine without cutting them into disks for most sanding jobs, although getting up tight to a corner is best done with a round disk. Since each 1 sq. yd. sheet only cost $15.75 and will yield 12 dozen 3" squares it is pretty economical paper. It seems to last as long as any other disks I have used and the flannel backing has not separated on any of them yet, which is a problem I have had with some disks.

The web page for the 1 sq. yd. sheets is: http://www.industrialabrasives.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=84_244&products_id=338

Take care
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
07-03-2009, 10:42 PM
I use the Norton 3X all the time. Pretty good stuff for hand sanding. I cut the sheets into quarters.

Tom Storey
07-04-2009, 2:02 AM
Like Bob Hamilton, I use Industrial Abrasives products and I have not yet found their equal. Price is right and you can cut the sheets to suit.http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon14.gif

Jeff Nicol
07-04-2009, 8:16 AM
I also use Industrial for all my large quantity purchases. The prices are great and the paper is first rate! I bought 4.5" wide rolls of hook and loop paper from 100 to 400 great 2 years ago and have only used about 3' off each roll. I really dont' think you can do much better IMHO.

Good luck and have a great 4th of July!

Jeff

Chris Stolicky
07-04-2009, 8:34 AM
I have used the 3x for my pens for a long time. I buy it in sheets from 220 through 600, and cut it up in roughly 1" strips. It tends to last quite a long time.

Robert Parrish
07-04-2009, 8:39 AM
Try Eagle Finkat Sandpaper from Japan. It leaves very few scratches. I buy mine from 2Sand.com.

Bob Hallowell
07-04-2009, 9:56 AM
I second the finkat. I use it in the 400 and 600 grit and it is amazing.

Bob

Paul Atkins
07-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Third on Eagle Finkat - the best sandpaper I've used in 25 years. Comes in wet/dry too. Lasts 4 times as long as any other.

Curt Fuller
07-04-2009, 11:00 AM
I like the 3x stuff too but I have to admit I haven't tried many of the others. What makes sandpaper last for me is this.....
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=41853&d=1151766477
One of the oldtimers in our club showed us this several years ago. It's just a small piece of plywood with a hacksaw blade screwed to the edge. Makes for quick cutting of a sheet of sandpaper. I like to cut the pieces even once more beyond the smallest size on the cutter. For some reason, maybe just because I'm a tightwad, it makes it easier to throw away a little piece and start with a fresh one when they're small, making the old "use sandpaper like someone else is buying it" rule easier to follow.

jay case
07-06-2009, 12:28 PM
Try Eagle Finkat Sandpaper from Japan. It leaves very few scratches. I buy mine from 2Sand.com.
isnt the purpose of sandpaper to make scratches?

Robert Parrish
07-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Yes Jay, but not deep ones!!

Mike Minto
07-06-2009, 4:30 PM
i recently bought a 'box' of sandpaper from Klingspore - while initially i said it was a good deal, and still do - the caveat is that about 90% of it is a very tough material that must have been made with drum sanders and such in mind, not hand sanders or hand sanding. i'll get good use out of it, but will still have to buy some sandpaper like Norton 3X to compliment it. mike

Joseph M Lary
07-06-2009, 5:35 PM
There is a place called The Sanding Glove on the web . you can down load a cat form there ,phone orders website not set up to buyon line yet . they have mesh sand paper called Abranet to sand green wood you can washout the disc and reuse great stuff . they have a Radial Bristle disc that you put in a drill to sand details in you turnings that works great , then the sanding glove . My brother-in-law has one but my big hand wouldnt fit in it, he realy likes that .my next order Ill get one . The regular paper is creaper then some of the other places I have been ordering it from . :)

Dave Ogren
07-08-2009, 1:30 PM
Bernie,

I am pretty new to the world of turning with only 47 bowls behind me. I also have not a lot of sandpaper to wood comparison, 40 years sandpaper to metal but that is a different story. There is a tremendous difference when you power sand as opposed to sheet sandpaper held up to an rotating bowl. I had read a lot of other posts and decided a few months ago to try Vince's Wood N' Wonders.com in Jeffersonville, Ind. I am impressed with his products and also his advice. I started out with the
3 3/8" size and just ordered the 2 3/8" two days ago. I also think highly of his knock-off souix quarter drill at $80.00 You can't go wrong with Vince.

I have no $$$ connection to him, I am extremely happy with his products and advice. Check out his web site, he has an educational part on it.

Good Luck,

Dave

Dusty Fuller
07-08-2009, 3:38 PM
But like some of the others I haven't used much else (yet). I have some 3M from the Blue Borg and don't like it. The Norton, especially the 60-120 grits, just works better for longer. I'll try some of the other brands once my wife lets me stop painting the house.

Tom Henry
07-08-2009, 9:27 PM
I use Klingspor's...they have great bargain boxes and the 1" rolls go through the grits up to 600.:D Link (http://www.woodworkingshop.com/cgi-bin/99E591B9/mac/template.mac/loadHtmlPage?htmlPage=home_page.htm)

Mike Meredith
07-10-2009, 6:47 PM
The Kingspor boxes are a great deal! Mostly I use Abralon and Abranet. The Abranet cuts very smooth, fast and cool and doesn't clog. Abralon (up to 4000 grit) is terrific for sanding contour, beads and coves, as well as finials. Both last much longer than sandpaper and are very cost effective.

lynn smith
07-10-2009, 8:02 PM
Industrial Abrasives
Is that the same as Online Industrial Supply?
http://www.onlineindustrialsupply.com/

I bought the 5" hook & loop packs 80 to 600 grit, I can use them with my orbital sander, and I have found that they are great to use by hand, easy to hang on to and the fabric backing adds additional protection from heat, while using the finer grits and higher speeds.
I hadn't thought about buying the rolls of H&L.

While on the subject of sandpaper.........
How many of you sand bowls beyond 600 grit?

Dave Ogren
07-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Lynn,

I am fairly new (51 bowls) and might not have the right answer for you. I have been told that for a bowl that is going to be used 320 grit is enough. I have been going only up to 320 and have been very pleased. I have 400 but have not used it. I also think that the finish you are going to use will influence how far to sand. I only use Antique oil and burnish it in for a soft look. I think if you are going to go for a shinny high gloss finish you might have to to a finer finish. Hope that helps. Good luck, and let me know what you learn.

Dave