PDA

View Full Version : Multi/Off Axis CURLY Maple Bowl

George Guadiane
07-03-2009, 6:55 PM
This is my first attempt at a multiple off axis bowl form.
The inside top and the inside of the base are turned on the conventional center axis, the outside is done on three different and uniformly offset axes.
Turning this off axis from the three rotating orientations brought an interesting result. The overall outside line was a simple ogee, and I tried to match it up as best I could. The bowl is 9 inches across by 2 3/4 inches in diameter.
Trying to get a good picture of this (for me) is like trying to catch a frog with a lasso, but...

Having seen Cindy Drozda do an elegant triangle box, I wanted to do something that went beyond, and that would have my personal "Change One Thing" touch... This is what I came up with:

As Always, All Critiques, Comments and/or Questions Welcome

Bill Bolen
07-03-2009, 8:03 PM
Now that is a unique piece that took a lot of effort. Well done...Bill..

Gary Herrmann
07-03-2009, 8:59 PM
Very nicely done, George. It looks a bit like a boat.

curtis rosche
07-03-2009, 9:20 PM
what the %@%#%??? how did you do that? that looks really cool. can we get a shot looking straight down on the top and then the same from the bottom, im having a hard timf finding the different axis' but it sure looks cool

Steve Schlumpf
07-03-2009, 10:05 PM
George - this is most impressive! Really cool effect of having three sides and a continuously changing curve! The feet also play well with the design! I think you are on to something as this is the first time I have seen anything like your bowl! Course, that could mean I just need to get out more! LOL

Love the wood - really some amazing curl that seems to have a life of it's own!

Very nice George! Thanks for sharing!

Bernie Weishapl
07-03-2009, 10:45 PM
George that is nicely done. The ever changing effects are cool.

Richard Madison
07-03-2009, 11:27 PM
Really like the bottom a lot. Very interesting looking.

Christopher Fletcher
07-04-2009, 2:41 AM
Stunning piece. :cool:

Norm Zax
07-04-2009, 3:40 AM
Very unique indeed! Is this a first of its kind? A historic moment? I think its beautiful but shudder to think what an unknowing viewer would ponder..

Chris Stolicky
07-04-2009, 7:55 AM
As usual, good job George.

It kind of reminds me of a partially turned and then carved bowl.

Are you bringing it to the AWA meeting next week?

Jeff Nicol
07-04-2009, 8:08 AM
George, It has some beautiful grain in it and the multi axis turning really lets it shine through! You have done a very fine job with your first try at something new!

Thanks for sharing,

Jeff

Skip Spaulding
07-04-2009, 9:46 AM
Great piece George! Do you use an offset chuck? I still have trouble with normal axis turning, it must be nice to envision projects on multi planes.
Pictures look good from here.

charlie knighton
07-04-2009, 10:09 AM
very nice, thanks for sharing

Greg Ketell
07-04-2009, 12:42 PM
I really like the shape and I LOVE the wood. But for me, I think they would have gone better on separate pieces. The highly unique form is somewhat hidden by the awesome grain of the wood. I would love to see another bowl like that in a simpler wood so the form stands out more.

But that is just me and I'm a turning newbie so take it for what it is worth. :D

George Guadiane
07-04-2009, 3:30 PM
EVERYONE: Thank you very much for your kind words.

what the %@%#%??? how did you do that? that looks really cool. can we get a shot looking straight down on the top and then the same from the bottom, im having a hard timf finding the different axis' but it sure looks cool
Per your request, I am adding some bottom and top pictures wo that you can better see the detail.

Very unique indeed! Is this a first of its kind? A historic moment? I think its beautiful but shudder to think what an unknowing viewer would ponder..
It is my first attempt at a bowl form doing this. I did a vase form that I like a great deal, but I blew through the sides on that one. I cut out the "damage" to get a uniform opening on each side, I may even finish it some day, but the inside is a little rougher than I would like.

Great piece George! Do you use an offset chuck? I still have trouble with normal axis turning, it must be nice to envision projects on multi planes.
Pictures look good from here.
The offset/off axis part was done between centers, the top and center bottom were done with a regular chuck, then with a jamb chuck to finish the bottom.

I really like the shape and I LOVE the wood. But for me, I think they would have gone better on separate pieces. The highly unique form is somewhat hidden by the awesome grain of the wood. I would love to see another bowl like that in a simpler wood so the form stands out more.

But that is just me and I'm a turning newbie so take it for what it is worth. :D
Actually Greg, it's NOT just you... I never know when I start these things how they will turn out. I'm not sure that the planes would show better with a plain piece of wood, but I'm more than willing to dig one out and chuck it up to see.
I thought about using "ordinary" wood, cherry or something, but I went with this in hopes that the wood would carry the piece if the form was awful... As it "turned out," the form ended up pretty OK.

curtis rosche
07-04-2009, 4:01 PM
thanks for the new [ictures. it looks amazing. musta been making u lathe go for quite a walk

George Guadiane
07-04-2009, 4:06 PM
As usual, good job George.

It kind of reminds me of a partially turned and then carved bowl.

Are you bringing it to the AWA meeting next week?
Chris,
You pointed out exactly what I'm going for... I think there is LOTS MORE that can be done on the lathe, and I'm trying to figure out how to get the carved look without carving.
:confused:Unfortunately???:confused: I won't be at the meeting this month, I'll be in :p Hawaii :D ... I will bring it to the next one though.

Chris Stolicky
07-04-2009, 9:14 PM
Chris,
You pointed out exactly what I'm going for... I think there is LOTS MORE that can be done on the lathe, and I'm trying to figure out how to get the carved look without carving.
:confused:Unfortunately???:confused: I won't be at the meeting this month, I'll be in :p Hawaii :D ... I will bring it to the next one though.

I'll be looking forward to seeing it in August. Oh, and that Koa HF in your other post.

Enjoy your trip.

Phil Labowski
07-04-2009, 9:34 PM
All I can say is wow. You guys just keep blowing my mind with some of the work you all do. Very nice piece!

Bob Hallowell
07-05-2009, 9:32 AM
Now that I have seen the other veiws WOW!

Bob

Jarrod McGehee
07-08-2009, 1:39 AM
That really is awesome and I love the color, grain and spalting on the piece but the curve inside the foot is something that, while I like, I'd turn it more matching the rest of the piece ie, the triangle form.

Jim Underwood
07-08-2009, 10:16 AM
George you're just pulling our leg aren't you? That was just a green turning that happened to warp this much isn't it? ;):D

Seriously, nice job. Keep posting your experiments for us to see. It's inspirational.

Thom Sturgill
07-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Beautiful job, George. I will have to try more offset work. How much offset did you use?

Phil Labowski
07-09-2009, 3:04 AM
are there videos somewhere on how to do this??:confused:

George Guadiane
07-09-2009, 6:56 AM
are there videos somewhere on how to do this??:confused:
I suppose I could try to do one, but I came up with this as a variation on a Cindy Drozda demo I saw a couple of years ago.
It's more about laying out the project and bumping through the turning than anything else...

Ron Lynch
07-09-2009, 7:16 PM
"Ended up pretty OK". I'd say your flair for understatement is about equal to your flair for woodturning. Gorgeous wood and great craftsmanship.

George Guadiane
07-09-2009, 7:40 PM
George you're just pulling our leg aren't you? That was just a green turning that happened to warp this much isn't it? ;):D

Seriously, nice job. Keep posting your experiments for us to see. It's inspirational.
You got me, It started out as a platter and just twisted into this :eek: ... (no, not really)

"Ended up pretty OK". I'd say your flair for understatement is about equal to your flair for woodturning. Gorgeous wood and great craftsmanship.
Kind words, thank you!!

Beautiful job, George. I will have to try more offset work. How much offset did you use?
It was about an inch +/-, I didn't measure (I will next time).