PDA

View Full Version : Newest Curly Koa Hollow Form

George Guadiane
07-03-2009, 6:48 PM
This is most of the nicest piece of wood I have owned so far, and I have been fortunate to collect some remarkable wood.
This hollow form is 8 1/2 inches high by 5 inches in diameter.
Mineral oil sanded to 1200 then microcrystaline waxed.
As Always, All Critiques, Comments and/or Questions Welcome

Toney Robertson
07-03-2009, 6:56 PM
Now that is a beautiful piece of wood and you did it justice.

Good job.

Toney

alex carey
07-03-2009, 7:13 PM
You definitely did do it justice, it looks beautiful. Nicely done.

Curt Fuller
07-03-2009, 7:34 PM
Everything about this piece is beautiful!

Tim Boger
07-03-2009, 7:34 PM
Hey George .... I have seen a lot of Koa and that is right up there with the best of it.

What a beautiful job you've done with it as well.

Tim

Bill Bolen
07-03-2009, 7:59 PM
Outstanding George! Fantastic piece of curly Koa that was treated just right...Bill...

Ted Evans
07-03-2009, 8:04 PM
Beautiful wood, masterfully treated, wish I could do that.

Steve Schlumpf
07-03-2009, 10:11 PM
WOW - talk about a winner! This one sure grabs your attention and holds it! Nice form - amazing wood! You should be proud of this one George - very - very nice!

Bernie Weishapl
07-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Beautiful piece George. That wood just grabs your attention.

Richard Madison
07-03-2009, 11:31 PM
Beautiful piece George. The bottom could stand to be a bit smaller diameter, but still a beauty.

Jeff Nicol
07-04-2009, 8:25 AM
Beautiful piece George. The bottom could stand to be a bit smaller diameter, but still a beauty.
Richard, Just curious why lots of guys think the bottom should be so small that it becomes very tippy? I am not a fan of the little base dia myself. When it is to small the proportions seem off to me. I think it is darn near perfect for a simple unembelished traditional form. Just one of the many opinions, so George my vote if for really nice!

Jeff

Randy Privett
07-04-2009, 8:32 AM
George,

Very, very nice...:D

Randy

Richard Madison
07-04-2009, 9:13 AM
Jeff, I agree with you. Notice I said "a bit" smaller, not so small as to make it "tippy", just a bit smaller. Just one opinion. Great looking work comes in many, many different shapes (forms).

Chris Rae
07-04-2009, 12:00 PM
Beautiful piece, I like it very much! Gorgeous wood and I like the shape!

Jarrod McGehee
07-04-2009, 2:07 PM
George that is such a beautiful piece of wood and you did such a great job with it.

Mark Norman
07-04-2009, 2:23 PM
WOW!

awesome piece! Good job and beautifull wood!

George Guadiane
07-04-2009, 3:19 PM
First, Thank EVERYONE for having such nice things to say... I'm leaving for Hawaii on Monday, planned my trip so that I could attend the Honolulu Woodturners Club meeting, and thought I should bring something along that they could relate to...

Richard, Just curious why lots of guys think the bottom should be so small that it becomes very tippy? I am not a fan of the little base dia myself. When it is to small the proportions seem off to me. I think it is darn near perfect for a simple unembelished traditional form. Just one of the many opinions, so George my vote if for really nice!

Jeff

Jeff, I agree with you. Notice I said "a bit" smaller, not so small as to make it "tippy", just a bit smaller. Just one opinion. Great looking work comes in many, many different shapes (forms).

Richard/Jeff, I was going to make the base a little smaller, but I kept struggling with the line and wall thickness, I was more than a little concerned about the inside/outside thing (as it turns out, I still had a bit of room...
HOWEVER, I'm not a fan of that "tucked under" look, I just never liked it AND, I have poorly supported wood floors (I rent) and I'd be concerned about having pieces fall over if I go too small... I know it's supposed to be art, not "practical," but - ...
Jeff, I'm not sure why the feet have to be so small for some people, generally spindly forms end up looking "out of balance" or anorexic to me.

Phil Labowski
07-04-2009, 9:44 PM
I think it looks great as is!

Brian Novotny
07-09-2009, 10:00 AM
This is most of the nicest piece of wood I have owned so far, and I have been fortunate to collect some remarkable wood.
This hollow form is 8 1/2 inches high by 5 inches in diameter.
Mineral oil sanded to 1200 then microcrystaline waxed.
As Always, All Critiques, Comments and/or Questions Welcome

where do you get your koa? BigIslandKoa.com? or I'm guessing you live in the Hilo area.

Mike Svoma
07-09-2009, 1:48 PM
I think it looks great just the way it is. Beautiful wood, shape, and finish. WOW.:)

Mike

Lionel Mercier
07-09-2009, 3:37 PM
Very nice wood...of course.
But overall a very nice shape !
Lionel.

George Guadiane
07-09-2009, 4:29 PM
where do you get your koa? BigIslandKoa.com? or I'm guessing you live in the Hilo area.
Brian,
I got this piece in a trade for an ivory fishhook I carved. The piece came from Oahu. I live in UpState NY, but am in Hawaii agian now, LOOKING FOR MORE WOOD! :D:cool: