PDA

View Full Version : Forrest Blade Sharpening

Ed Sallee
07-03-2009, 5:50 PM
I sent off 2 blades to Forrest Mfg on June 20th via USPS cheapest possible.... Just received back today, July 3rd. So.... it took 13 Days total.

I've done this a few times and could never remember what day I sent it... So, I started a "blade log".... now I know...... and so do you.

By the way.... anybody know how many times these things can be sharpened?

Ralph Y Thorne
07-03-2009, 9:23 PM
Ed,

I sent one off to them a few weeks ago and was expecting to be told it was no longer serviceable. It came back like new again! Forrest will actually retip the entire blade if you like.

I haven't seen you at the Sat. GWA meeting in a while. Say hello the next time your there.

Ralph

Travis Gunn
07-03-2009, 9:52 PM
Can you give me an idea what the cost is for this sharpening?
Thanks

Ed Sallee
07-04-2009, 12:24 AM
My invoice for two blades totalled $51.00

That's $20.50 per blade and $10.00 for freight..

Ralph.... I know, it's been a while for the Saturday meeting... I'll get down there soon....

Ray Chalenski
07-04-2009, 6:05 PM
Not to take anything away from Forrest. They have a great product.I live near Forrest and recently took a couple of blades and a delta dado set for resharpening.Unfortunately when I got there they were on lunch break and was told I would have to come back. Hey evereybody has to eat. So I went across the river to a competitor. Ridge Carbide in Lyndhurst, NJ. I humbly asked if they would sharpen a competitors blades. The owner responded he would be more than happy to improve on a competitors blade.Long story short they took the Forrest blade and did a great job and the mediocre delta dado set is now cutting flat bottom dadoes.:o

Bruce Wrenn
07-04-2009, 9:32 PM
My invoice for two blades totalled $51.00

That's $20.50 per blade and $10.00 for freight..

Ralph.... I know, it's been a while for the Saturday meeting... I'll get down there soon....Now go to Dynamic Saw (dynamicsaw.com) and see what you SHOULD have paid for blade sharpening. OUCH!

Jeff Mohr
07-08-2009, 12:10 PM
Where do you guys buy your forrest blades? Any special price anywhere? Or direct from manufacturer?

Joe Jensen
07-08-2009, 1:25 PM
Now go to Dynamic Saw (dynamicsaw.com) and see what you SHOULD have paid for blade sharpening. OUCH!

Bird in the hand for $8 a blade more than a service you don't know. I'd have to be doing a lot more blades to have $8 matter.

Larry Heflin
07-08-2009, 2:24 PM
Where do you guys buy your forrest blades? Any special price anywhere? Or direct from manufacturer?

I just ordered a 12" blade from (wwwdot) forrestsawbladesonline (dot com). I don't think there was anything special about the price though.

Ken Werner
07-08-2009, 3:36 PM

Amazon sometimes runs some really good sales on Forrest WWII, about $85 including shipping, but you have to jump on it, they don't last long. You can put it in your cart and keep checking.

Maik Tobin
07-08-2009, 4:52 PM
Now go to Dynamic Saw (dynamicsaw.com) and see what you SHOULD have paid for blade sharpening. OUCH!

Have you used Dynamic? Will they do as good a job as Forrest?

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-08-2009, 5:40 PM
I have used Forrest sharpening service for years. I don't even check prices anywhere else because I like their blades and I like they're sharpening. My turn around time is a bit quicker then 2 weeks but you have to remember the 4th of July holiday happened while your blade was there. I expect that cost a couple days. I try to have two or three in hand so I am not at a loss when they are being serviced. By the way, Ridge Carbide is a wonderful company that has been making and servicing blades a long time. You can't go wrong with them either.
fmr

Cary Falk
07-08-2009, 5:40 PM
Have you used Dynamic? Will they do as good a job as Forrest?

I have a Forrest WWII that I just got back from Dynamic this week. I will put it in the saw this weekend and try it out. Dynamic gets great reviews from everybody that uses them. I have heard from people that have sent their WWIIs there. This is my first blade back from them so I don't know how it turned out.

Bruce Wrenn
07-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Have you used Dynamic? Will they do as good a job as Forrest?I wouldn't recommend them if I didn't use them. I had a new WWII, that hit a staple used to hold a SKU tag on. I removed the tag and staple, but missed another staple that had been driven below the surface. Blade lost FIVE teeth. Forrest charged me for five teeth, and TWO different grindings. Their price was $62, plus freight, almost what I gave for the blade (less than $80.) With freight both ways, a new blades was cheaper. Later we sent a Freud 12", 100 tooth HTB blade (not mine)to Dynamic, also with five damaged teeth. Total cost was less than $25, plus freight. Because we sent a bunch of blades, freight both ways came to about a dollar a blade. Send one to Dynamic, and most likely you won't send another to Forrest.

Phil Thien
07-08-2009, 11:10 PM
I sent a non-Forrest FTG blade to Forrest and it came back with a slight ATB. Wasn't impressed.

Kyle Iwamoto
07-09-2009, 2:22 AM
[QUOTE=Bruce Wrenn;1171386] I had a new WWII, that hit a staple used to hold a SKU tag on.

Why ist that stores use staples to put tags on. And bar code stickers? The adhesive is hard to get off, messes up your finish, and staples and jointer blades do NOT get along. Obviously table saw blades too.

Sorry for the rant.

I feel much better now.

Maik Tobin
07-09-2009, 8:28 AM
I wouldn't recommend them if I didn't use them. I had a new WWII, that hit a staple used to hold a SKU tag on. I removed the tag and staple, but missed another staple that had been driven below the surface. Blade lost FIVE teeth. Forrest charged me for five teeth, and TWO different grindings. Their price was $62, plus freight, almost what I gave for the blade (less than $80.) With freight both ways, a new blades was cheaper. Later we sent a Freud 12", 100 tooth HTB blade (not mine)to Dynamic, also with five damaged teeth. Total cost was less than $25, plus freight. Because we sent a bunch of blades, freight both ways came to about a dollar a blade. Send one to Dynamic, and most likely you won't send another to Forrest.

Thanks for the recomendation. I have a new Freud Fusion on the way. As soon as it arrives, I will send off my two WWII's to Dynamic. I have not bee happy with any of the local services.

Brian Effinger
07-09-2009, 11:29 AM
I wouldn't recommend them if I didn't use them. I had a new WWII, that hit a staple used to hold a SKU tag on. I removed the tag and staple, but missed another staple that had been driven below the surface. Blade lost FIVE teeth. Forrest charged me for five teeth, and TWO different grindings. Their price was $62, plus freight, almost what I gave for the blade (less than $80.) With freight both ways, a new blades was cheaper. Later we sent a Freud 12", 100 tooth HTB blade (not mine)to Dynamic, also with five damaged teeth. Total cost was less than $25, plus freight. Because we sent a bunch of blades, freight both ways came to about a dollar a blade. Send one to Dynamic, and most likely you won't send another to Forrest.

I just googled them and got a website for a company in Buffalo, NY. Is that them? If it is that is great news, because I'll have no shipping charges :D

Bruce Wrenn
07-09-2009, 10:07 PM
I just googled them and got a website for a company in Buffalo, NY. Is that them? If it is that is great news, because I'll have no shipping charges :DYES!, but you probably will have to pay some sales taxes. When you talk to them on the phone, lets say they aren't really impressive, but their work is. And that's what is important.

Corey Wilcox
07-09-2009, 10:30 PM
I can't speak about Forrest, but I just got a blade back from Dynamic and it is sharp, scary sharp. Sharper than my Freud Fusion was brand new. I actually cut myself on it just removing the protective gum they put over the teeth. The guys there were super helpful and did extensive hammering on the blade to remove warp, free of charge. I can't say they're more or less expensive than anyone else being that I haven't shopped around that much, but I would highly recommend them to anyone who wanted a sharp blade.

Bill Miltner
07-09-2009, 11:20 PM
I tried Dynamic about 5 months ago, to save a few $. My experince was not as good as some of the others. Two of the teeth were sharpened a bit taller than the rest so through cuts were fine but I could not cut smooth grooves with it. I will stick with Forrest.

george wilson
07-09-2009, 11:24 PM
Forrest has given fine service to me,but their woman on the telephome needs to be replaced. She wasn't helpful at all.

I had a tooth fly off a new Forrest blade. After dealing fruitlessly with the woman,I packed the blade with a note as to the new saw losing a tooth. It came back repaired with a new tooth,resharpened,and no charge at all. Not even for postage. Whoever was in the shop stood up for their product.