PDA

View Full Version : Alarm Systems?

Jack Wood
08-29-2004, 1:42 AM
Just wondering if anyone had some tips on detached workshop security. Whats your thoughts on security systems? How involved is a simple key operated two point system to install? Good off the shelf brand? Cost? I figure that all I need to do is make some noise out there to wake the neighbor dogs and hopefully us:rolleyes:!

Mark Singer
08-29-2004, 10:24 AM
I have the Radionics system and it works very well! Good news is , it hasn't had to do its thing!

Dennis Peacock
08-29-2004, 10:50 AM
I have Smith & Wesson and there ain't NOBODY that wants to hear THAT alarm go off!!!! :eek: :eek: ;)

I've been guilty of leaving the shop garage doors up (even when I lived in Alabama, I would get up some mornings and see where I left my garage door up all night). Never had anything stolen and nothing ever came up missing. Of course where we are now? Once you get passed "me" and into my shop? There ain't but one way to get out of here. :eek: yup, that means you is gonna hafta pass by "me" again.....and you WILL have "religion" before you leave my property (a little more "holy" if'en you know what I mean). :eek: :D

Jim Becker
08-29-2004, 10:53 AM
In this day and age, I'd suggest something a little better than a simple key-operated system and it will not cost you an arm and a let to do it, either. For example, Smarthome.com has some decent "pro quality" systems that are DIY. They also offer very low cost central monitoring.

Ken Garlock
08-29-2004, 12:24 PM
Jack, from my point of view, you need to do the security job correctly, or don't bother. Stop and consider the value of the tools and equipment in the shop, is it worth protecting? If it is, then think of a professional alarm system as an insurance policy.

We live on the outside of McKinney Tx, and when we built we elected to install a house and separate shop security systems. Every window and door has a magnetic switch connected to the system. We also have multiple motion detectors and a fire detector that will call the fire department. Was it expensive, that depends on how you perceive the cost of protecting your house and family. I pay around $230 per year, both buildings, for 24hr response service, and they do respond within 2 minutes. And also another $10 per year to the sheriff for an alarm permit. The alarm system also reduces the cost of my home owners insurance.

I recommend you look in the phone book and find a private company, not a national that advertises on TV. Talk to several companies and then decide on the features and services provided.

Jamie Buxton
08-29-2004, 1:58 PM
I guess it depends on the probabilities in your community, but I think that a wood shop isn't particularly at risk. Moving the expensive big machines requires a liftgate truck and several guys. Plus everything in the shop is pretty specialized. Thieves take stuff they can sell easily. I mean, how many thieves would grab a handplane, or a HVLP sprayer, or a vacuum veneer press?

Jason Roehl
08-29-2004, 3:21 PM
I guess it depends on the probabilities in your community, but I think that a wood shop isn't particularly at risk. Moving the expensive big machines requires a liftgate truck and several guys. Plus everything in the shop is pretty specialized. Thieves take stuff they can sell easily. I mean, how many thieves would grab a handplane, or a HVLP sprayer, or a vacuum veneer press?
They may not grab the big stuff, but they will grab the smaller stuff that many of us woodworkers have--think nailers, circular saws, miter saws, chainsaws and mechanic's tools. How do I know? Because I may have left the detached garage/shop unlocked a couple months ago, and came up about $2k short of tools such as I just described. Colt, Remington and Norinco did me no good, as I never heard the intruders (garage is 50' from the house). Fortunately, insurance should take care of me (took them a while due to recent storm damage in the state, adjuster was busy), but I am going to consider some sort of alarm system in the near future.

Jack Wood
08-30-2004, 7:56 AM
Hi everyone, well cost is always a factor that matters only until it happens then you think anything would have been worth it:rolleyes:. Hey Dennis, what if your not home to lock and load on 'em?:D Unfourtunately crime is moving out of the city and into the country at a fast pace here in Madison county:(. Thanks for the advice guys!

Mike Cutler
08-30-2004, 12:37 PM
Jack. I inadverdantly ended up with an active working beehive about 6 feet from the door to my shop, when I left some supers there over the winter two years ago. They may not have the stopping power of Dennis' S&W, but you really gotta want to get to that door.
In all seriousness tho' there are alot of good home security and alarm systems/services available. analyze your need and put the sytem in the whole house at the same time. I like the silent alert systems myself, but a riding buddy who does this stuff recommends an audible alarm also. In his words "Breaking and entering is not a spectator event"