PDA

View Full Version : Replacing draw shave handles

Marty Weatherup
07-03-2009, 2:15 PM
My Dad is here on vacation and as is the case when we get together we get to talking tools and particularly old tools. He is interested in them because he buys and sells old tools and I because I buy and use old tools. He has an old draw shave which has the tips of the tangs bent over to hold the handles in place. I have a couple of old ones like this as well. Mine have no handles and his has one good handle and one bad handle. Is it safe to heat the tips to bend them straight to put on a new handle or is the old metal most likely to brittle to stand working again. He would like to fix his up to put out with some of his other tools when he goes to shows and I would like to put mine back in service.

Have you folks got any tips on replacing draw shave handles before I dive into this project? Thanks in advance.

Marty Weatherup

harry strasil
07-03-2009, 4:34 PM
The normal way to replace the handle on a draw knife is to make the wood handle first, put a ferrule on the top end and drill the handle clear thru a size that will let the tang point stick thru. Then heat the end red and repoint the tang, then get the whole tang hot with a wet towel or such wrapped around the blade part, use the hot tang to burn in the handle till the tang will not quite stich thru the handle end. Let the tang cool and then drive the handle on till about 3/16 of an inch sticks out the end, put a small washer on the end of the tang and seat it down with the drawknife tang top clamped tight in a vise, then using a smallish cross pein hammer, start to brad (rivet) the end, bradding first one direction then 90 degrees to the first direction, after the tang is spread sufficient that it has captured the washer, switch ends and round the tang end over so it doesn't cut your hand.

Marty Weatherup
07-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Harry,

Thanks for the information. Dad and I really appreciate the help.

Marty