PDA

View Full Version : constructing a router top

James Evans
07-03-2009, 1:42 PM
I am thinking of building a router top. I wold like it to hold two routers so i dont have to keep switching and reseting bits. The top itself is going to be constructed out of concrete ( a practice run for the counter tops in our home). just wondering how big to make the top and placement of the routers to make it most proficient. any input is appreciated. Thanks, Jamie

Art Bianconi
07-03-2009, 7:07 PM
Wow! That IS novel!

I've used Portland Cement when casting mirror grinding and polishing tools and people were intrigued by that unusual application. Now counter tops and router benches!

I will be following this string closely! Please don't spare the details.

For what it's worth, I used fiberglass, pet-proof fly screen as a reinforcing material instead of wire mesh. It's strong as all get-out and won't corrode and break down over time. I also used a heavy duty vibrator to insure that the bubbles work their way to the surface but mostly to insure that the cement bonds through the mesh to the cement on the other side of the weave.

I also kept the pour wet for weeks to insure as strong a cure as possible. Cement doesn't reach it's full strength for months I am told.

Good luck.

Art

Nathan Callender
07-04-2009, 11:57 AM
I've been contemplating different surface finishes for a new bench once I'm finished with my current project. I'd like to essentially cannibalize my current table saw and put it in a new bench that would fit my needs better, but I've been trying to pick the right material that will be strong, flat, and won't crack or rust (I'm having a really hard time keeping rust off my cast iron table saw right now - It's hot and I drip sweat all over it unfortunately.) I haven't thought of concrete so if you do it, let us know how it goes.

As far as dimensions, for a single router, I would think 36 inches in width for the top would be sufficient, maybe up to 48, but that's pretty big. 12-15 inches from the edge to the bit would be ideal for me. With two routers, if you put them in a straight line with the fence, you'll always be running into the other router if the bit is set up, so I would think you would have to build a fence with two openings for the bits, and then clamp the fence at an angle to the routers so one opening hides the unused router bit. But, if you do that, you probably couldn't use a miter slot, but that may not be a big deal to you.

If you put the routers at 12" apart, then a 48" wide top with a 24" depth could work. I guess it's really a personal thing.

If changing bits is the only thing you want to avoid, have you thought of just buying two good router plates (and lifts if you want) and just swapping the entire assembly as you need to? It would make for a smaller table needed and I don't think it would deteriorate the precision if good plates are used and kept clean.

Or, the other option is to put the routers back to back so that the table would be more square (like 36x36) and you would have two fences and could install two miter gauges, etc. This would let you keep two different setups (bits, router settings, fence, feather boards) but would require that you rotate the table to use the other side or walk around to the other side if it's not against a wall.

Nathan Callender
07-04-2009, 11:57 AM
BTW, how do you plan on leveling or grinding the cement flat?

James Evans
07-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Or, the other option is to put the routers back to back so that the table would be more square (like 36x36) and you would have two fences and could install two miter gauges, etc. This would let you keep two different setups (bits, router settings, fence, feather boards) but would require that you rotate the table to use the other side or walk around to the other side if it's not against a wall.

This was what i was thinking.

I have watched videos on the constructing of counter tops out of concrete. I really doesnt appear that difficult. if i put my mind to something i can do it. as far a polishing to make them smoother a diamond pad polisher does the job. but it all starts out with the forms. that will make the finishing job easier. I will let you know.