PDA

View Full Version : Sawstop PCS

tim peterson74
07-03-2009, 10:09 AM
Has anyone here pre-ordered the new sawstop? I talked to a local retailer where I live and they had a flier for the saw at 2899. They then told me there was a shipping charge of around 400 dollars. This seemed a little high to me just wondered if this is the same everywhere or if their is a way around it.

Tim

george wilson
07-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Charge seems about right.

Mike Heidrick
07-03-2009, 10:39 AM
I paid around $325 shipping to IL to a Woodcraft in 2006 for the bigger version (5hp industrial they call it now).

There used to be an online dealer, toolking, selling sawstops and they had very inexpensive shipping and no tax for IL.

May not be a purchase you want without a dealer local.

charles argo
07-03-2009, 12:20 PM
I work for a retailer in California that sells SawStop. The price of the PCS includes the shipping charge. This is different than purchasing the ICS. That saw has a $275 freight charge added to the cost of the saw. I sat through a SawStop online tutorial for retailers detailing the new PCS saw. While the safety system is the same, the PCS is over 200 lbs. lighter than the ICS version in nearly the same footprint. A substantial reduction in mass. We decided it was more of a hybrid type saw with a 3hp motor. To answer your question, you should not have to pay an additional freight charge if you pre-order the PCS.

Drew Sanderson
07-03-2009, 12:26 PM
Do all saw stop products have fixed pricing or are there deals to be had?

tim peterson74
07-03-2009, 2:35 PM
Charles, thanks for the info. So do you think I should just ask another sales person? From what I have seen the prices on sawstops are pretty set in stone so one place shouldnt be charging extra for shipping if another retailer isn't, right??

Tim

Paul Ryan
07-03-2009, 3:17 PM
Tim,

I would double check with a different sales person or different store, I am not sure about the shipping on the PCS saw. I have heard that it includes shipping, and I have heard it does not. The price should be the same at any store. One way you maybe able to save some $$ is on sales tax. I live in MN sales tax is 7%, I travel to SD quite often sales tax is 4.5% there. On a large purchase that difference can save hundreds. In this case it may only be $75, and in my opinion not worth traveling a long distance. But if you live close to another state that may make a difference. Other than that the price should be the same from dealer to dealer.

If they are selling the 36" PCS saw at $2899 including that is a hell of a deal. That is the same price as the new uni and a saw that is equally built IMO, plus it has a blade brake, but the new uni does have a larger table. That was one of the coments I had in my survey of the saw that I felt is should be a couple hundred under 3K to better compete with other saws.

Drew Sanderson
07-03-2009, 3:25 PM
In August of 2008, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that vertical price fixing by a manufacturer and its retailers, also known as retail price maintenance, is not a per se violation of the Sherman Antitrust Act which under section 1 makes price fixing a criminal felony. :( Another loss for the consumer.

charles argo
07-03-2009, 3:32 PM
The retail on the PCS is fixed. We can't advertise at a lower price. What happens between you and the dealer might be a different story. There are dealers who risk their sales agreements with the manufacturer by undercutting the established price. Festool for example, is a real stickler for this and aggressively goes after dealers who discount. You should be able to find a local dealer who will pre-order your saw with no additional freight. The PCS is priced to compete with the new Unisaw, so adding $400 freight (more than the freight charge for the ICS) makes no sense if you want to sell the saw.

Peter Kenyon
09-30-2011, 7:14 PM
Does anyone have contact information for Charles Argo? I would like to get in touch with him about a machine.

Tim Janssen
09-30-2011, 9:05 PM
You're aware that this is an old thread!

Tim