PDA

View Full Version : How about this customer service?

Harlan Barnhart
07-03-2009, 9:09 AM
I recently ebayed a set of four new Japanese mortise chisels (approx. 1/4" 3/8" 1/2" and 3/4"). The listing called them "Japanese chisels" but didn't mention they were mortise chisels but the picture clearly indicated thick, heavy mortise chisels. For sixty dollars I thought I'd risk it.

When they came in a denim roll with a clamp on honing guide and a decent 1200 grit water stone (as advertised), I was pleased. Except that they were beveled edge bench chisels. I sent a polite note back to the seller explaining that I didn't receive the items pictured in the auction and asked how I could get the mortise chisels since I need those but don't need bench chisels. Here is the note I got back:
Hello,
Sorry for the packing error . We will send the correct chisels
today. Please keep the bench chisels as a gift for our mistake.
Thanks
Three days later I had a set of four mortise chisels and a set of four bench chisels. I am very happy with the quality. After no more than five minutes of honing per chisel, I had them shaving sharp. They hold an edge as well as any chisel I have and look well made.

The ebay seller is goes by the name "lamiblock" but the items come in packages from Mannys Woodworkers Place, easily found on web. The bench chisel set I recieved first lists for $55 and the mortise chisels for $200. I don't know exactly what sort of mix up happened but someone over at Manny's and lamiblock has a level of character rarely seen. I recommed them as honest retailers.

Andy Bardowell
07-03-2009, 10:29 AM
It is awesome to know that when you believe our cynicism is at an all time high in this day and age someone comes along to remind us that humans can be kind and civil to each other. The old marketing adage says that if you make one customer angry they’ll tell ten people but the opposite is also true if you step out and make someone happy they will tell thousands.

Casey Gooding
07-03-2009, 10:46 AM
I think I got a set of chisels from the same guy a few months ago. Nice quality.