PDA

View Full Version : Is this over engineered, is there a better way.

Bill Huber
07-03-2009, 8:52 AM
To start this is just scrap that I have working with as test and not the finial item. This will be the cross brace for a 3 legged stool. I wanted something that was strong and would hold up. It will be doweled to the legs when finished.

The cross brace will be made from 1 1/4 x 1 1/4 maple stock and after completed I will round over the edges with a 1/4 round. I am going to put a walnut dowel right in the center of the brace.

This is what I came up with, do you think it is over engineered and is the a better, easier way to get to the same point. When this is all cut right, using stops and the like, glued up it should be strong and hold up under just about anything, I think.

122225 122226

122227 122228

Jamie Buxton
07-03-2009, 10:01 AM
No, it is not overengineered. It is a slick piece of joinery.

glenn bradley
07-03-2009, 10:37 AM
I think you're fine with that. Just being me, I would try to use very different grain patterns to emphasize the cool joint.

John Thompson
07-03-2009, 10:44 AM
Definitely plenty of glue space and provision for anti-rack with your joint there. I took a week off 30 years ago to watch Japanese carpenters build a Japanese Steak House here in Atlanta. After seeing the jointes they used I have never thought of any joint as being over-engineered since. Simply fascinating to watch the complex and intricate joints and I was amazed at the strenght they rendered. It set the tone of how I approach a build to this day.

Time to do something as you have done is not a factor IMO as you are a hobbyist and therefore... time is on your side. Sometimes we hobbyist actually construct better than professionals as we simply don't have deadlines hanging over our heads..

Well done joint.. go for it!

Frank Drew
07-03-2009, 10:55 AM
Very elegant joinery, Bill.

How will the braces join the legs of the stool, and will the legs be splayed outwards (I'm thinking milking stool).

Chris Padilla
07-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Time to do something as you have done is not a factor IMO as you are a hobbyist and therefore... time is on your side. Sometimes we hobbyist actually construct better than professionals as we simply don't have deadlines hanging over our heads..

Sarge nailed it...love the joint. I bet it was fun to make and figure out.

Bill Huber
07-03-2009, 12:09 PM
Very elegant joinery, Bill.

How will the braces join the legs of the stool, and will the legs be splayed outwards (I'm thinking milking stool).

I am going to use dowels for the leg to brace and then big dowels for the top, it will have a walnut wedge in the center of each of the dowels on top. The legs will attach at a 5 to 10 degree angel, I am thinking 10 right now.

A milking stool it is, like I don't have any cows but it was something I just wanted to try and make with the scrap I had. The top is 12 inches across so it is a little larger I think then most milking stools.

Bill Huber
07-03-2009, 12:11 PM
I think you're fine with that. Just being me, I would try to use very different grain patterns to emphasize the cool joint.

The wood I have all has the same grain so I really don't think it will matter much. I was thinking of an inlay of walnut along the top of the brace coming out from the walnut dowel in the middle.

Bill Huber
07-03-2009, 12:16 PM
Sarge nailed it...love the joint. I bet it was fun to make and figure out.

It was kind of fun, I did learn a lot about SketchUp, that was the only way I could visualize what it would look like and how it would work together.
Even with SketchUp I found a problem with the model and had to change things a little.

Bill Huber
07-03-2009, 12:18 PM
Definitely plenty of glue space and provision for anti-rack with your joint there. I took a week off 30 years ago to watch Japanese carpenters build a Japanese Steak House here in Atlanta. After seeing the jointes they used I have never thought of any joint as being over-engineered since. Simply fascinating to watch the complex and intricate joints and I was amazed at the strenght they rendered. It set the tone of how I approach a build to this day.

That is the good thing about being a hobbyist, you don't have to worry about time..... just money.. :D

I did watch a show on TV where they built a building with noting but big timber and pegs and the joints were really something to see.

Chuck Isaacson
07-03-2009, 10:46 PM
This thing looks like one of those puzzles that you play at the Cracker Barrel when you are waiting for your food!! Pretty neat design though..

CHuck

Matt Armstrong
07-04-2009, 1:11 AM
I am new to woodworking, relatively, but really, this is a hobby and a passion for most of us. Ultimately, like most hobbies, the goal is usually overengineering.

I'm all for capitalism and Ikea and so on, but when I woodwork, my goal is to build something like a Sherman tank.

So, no, that joint is awesome and you should write up a tutorial on it.

Rich Engelhardt
07-04-2009, 5:24 AM
Hello,
Cool joint!
Mind if I dub it a Huber hex?

Bill Huber
07-04-2009, 9:07 AM
This thing looks like one of those puzzles that you play at the Cracker Barrel when you are waiting for your food!! Pretty neat design though..

CHuck

I know what you mean, that is what I was thinking about when I was trying to figure out how to make it.

Chuck Wintle
07-04-2009, 9:28 AM
Bill,

In my opinion it looks over engineered. i would have opted for a simpler method using maple dowels tied into a center piece, possibly a dovetail style of joint in the center, or maybe a fox wedge. just my 2 cents.

John Thompson
07-04-2009, 10:36 AM
That is the good thing about being a hobbyist, you don't have to worry about time..... just money.. :D

I did watch a show on TV where they built a building with noting but big timber and pegs and the joints were really something to see.

The Japanese carpenters brought over did indeed use all joints with a few pegs on the Icabon SH. Very intricate and locking type joints as they did didn't take any short-cuts. They would hone their saw tips very frequently and worked off the ground. I did see a few cheat and use the tail-gate of a pick-up that brought them to work each day.

Typical Japanese approach but.. but.. very un-characteris at lunch when the American who was in charge of logistics would go to the Varsity drive-in across from Ga. Tech and bring back chili dogs.. french fries and onion rings. Those Japanese guys could scraft down some Varsity chili dogs I tell you. :D