PDA

View Full Version : Mortise Gouge Chisel ?

Mark Koury
07-03-2009, 8:37 AM
Some guy on eBay has 2 NOS Swan chisels that he calls “mortise gouge chisel.” (250454185619)

The picture does seem to show a gouge back on a mortise chisel shape.

OK, I’m lost! What are these used for? Is this just another gouge? Is there some mysterious way to cut a mortise using a chisel with a gouge back?

Russ Massery
07-03-2009, 10:12 AM
Looks like a standard mortise chisel to me.

Richard Francis
07-03-2009, 11:23 AM
Responsible seller - Liberty Tool and Hulls Cove who has found a lot of oldnew Swan recently.

Jim Koepke
07-03-2009, 11:43 AM
Sometimes the fingers type things that may not be quite right.

This does not look like a heavy mortise chisel. It certainly does not look like a gouge.

To me, it looks like a light mortise chisel or a firmer chisel.

There is no rule book on what chisel gets what particular name. There are some conventional definitions that are mostly garnered from old catalogs.

A misprint in a catalog could cause a century of misnaming.

jim

Frank Drew
07-03-2009, 1:21 PM
The picture could be a bit clearer, but the last one does seem to show an inside flute on the tool. So, if that's correct, a flat back inside flute chisel... I can't see how it's a mortise chisel. If I'm not imagining things and it does have that flute, and if the bevel is similarly curved across its width (I can't tell from the photos), then I guess it would be a firmer gouge.

Mark Koury
07-03-2009, 6:18 PM
I had to ask.

I received a prompt reply from the seller. He noted the box said "Outside bevel Socket Firmer Gouges." So, I guess he did type the wrong thing.

Problem solved.

Thanks to all who replied.