PDA

View Full Version : Pasloade Framing Nailers

Ben Abate
07-03-2009, 7:08 AM
Hello all,

I have a question for you, I recently purchased a Paslode Framing Nailer. I'm having a few problems with it. It works relatively well with the 3 1/4" nails but when I put the 2 3/8" nails in it, it constantly jams. This is a brand new gun and if you're familiar with these guns you know there is no adjusting anything for difference in nail lenght. I have contacted Paslode and I'm waiting to hear from them, but I was thinking with the knowledge on this site that someone might have a tip or a remedy. I seems that the smaller nails don't feed into the driving pin. And when it does two nails sometimes come out. What is happing is, the pin that drives the nails is being driven into the wood instead of the nails. It is misfiring, and yes, I'm using Paslodes nails. I remember borrowing a buddies and his did not do this. But I had another guys gun on the job this week and his was also doing this but not as often. I attributed his misfiring to the age and beat up condition. Also the nails were being over driven but that is my fault for not adjusting the nose piece for the depth. I don't think the problem is related to depth. Because sometimes you might want a nail below the surface of the wood.

thank you, if you have some advice please reply.

Ben

David G Baker
07-03-2009, 10:57 AM
I have the Paslode 350 framing gun that is well used and it works great with every size nail I have put in it. Make sure you have the right nail for the gun it may be the wrong angle. Don't know enough about Paslode nails to know if they come in different angles. Could also be the pressure setting.
One of my older Senco guns had to have a part installed when changing nail size but my Paslode 350 does not.

Steve Clardy
07-03-2009, 11:59 AM
Several years back, when I was framing houses with my sons [house framers], they had a couple of Pasalode's.
They did the same, even with the 3-1/4 nails.
Shooting double nails every 3rd or fourth time got to be a real headache.
We got rid of the guns and went with PC. We also used pasalode nails.

Thomas Williams
07-03-2009, 12:44 PM
I use both a Paslode 350 and an impulse nailer, and do not recall having any problems. Maybe the driver is damaged. Let us know how Paslode responds.

Bob Lloyd
07-04-2009, 6:47 AM
Ben

How long have you had it? Could you not simply return it to the vendor and exchange it? No gun I have ever used has done that.

Bob

Ben Abate
07-04-2009, 7:22 AM
Bob,

It is two days old. That is what get me. We all know it could be a defective driver pin but it seems fine since I have first hand knowledge of resetting it constantly for two days. I might stop at the place where I purchased it to ask if they take the returns, but in the manual it tells you to contact Paslode and work out the problem with them. They ask not to return it to the place of purchase.

As for the angle of the nail strips, they are the 30 degree strips. The 3 1/4 inch ones only give you a little problem when you don't give the gun enough time to cycle. It sometimes has to either cool itself or cycle the gas for the next shot and sometimes it just doesn't fire. From what I read that is a common characteristic of the this model. That I can live with, but the 2 3/8 inch nails is extremely frustrating. Since it is the holiday weekend I'll see how quick Paslode is to respond next week. I'm sure they being an international company that they'll do right by me. (they better).

I'll be sure to respond to you guys to tell you what I find out.

thanks for the replies
Ben

Larry Edgerton
07-04-2009, 8:16 AM
Ben, I have used Paslode for 35 years but have not seen that problem? Do you have a "Fasteners" guy in your area? They usually have everything on their van to fix Paslode guns, and they are really great guys to deal with to my experiance. I buy all my nails from them as well as many other construction tools. They are like a professional hardware that comes to you.

Ben Abate
07-04-2009, 9:25 AM
Larry,

I've never heard of these guys, I'm sure that would be the way to go. I'm imagining these guys come to the jobsite like the Snap On guys come to your garage? I'll ask some of my buddies that are contractors about them. Hopefully Paslode won't disappoint with regards to service.

thank you
Ben

Dennis Thornton
07-06-2009, 12:23 PM
I have the Paslode framing and a trim version too. The framing one does double shoot occasionally, maybe once every 50-100 nails (2 3/8"). It never doubles the longer nails.

Though it isn't a problem, I'm interested in what Paslode's prognosis is.

Ben Abate
07-06-2009, 8:02 PM
Fellows,

Just for an update as of today Paslode has not returned my email to them. I'll give them another day or two before I call. I'm sure things are a bit behind with the holiday.

I'll let you guys know

Ben

Ben Abate
07-08-2009, 1:49 PM
Fellows,

Below I copied what Paslode had replied to me about my problem with their gun....I was surprised at the reply I got......pretty laim I think... I guess I'll return the gun

When the driver blade does not retract all the way up inside the combustion chamber, it does not allow the combustion chamber to have the right amount of space to have the accurate air/fuel ratio for another combustion. Try blank firing and see if this issue still occurs, if it does, being that the tool is only a few days old i would advise on returning and exchanging for a another one.

Dennis Thornton
07-08-2009, 7:40 PM
Sounds like poor lubrication could be a cause for infrequent double fires.

Ben Abate
07-08-2009, 8:12 PM
Dennis,

You could be correct, what I did try is I adjusted the nose depth and it seems to be working better. My buddy told me to do the same as you recommended, to lube the slide with WD-40, he says he does that. I haven't yet, I was reading the manual trying to find out if that was recommended but was unable to find anything. Most of the manual talks about lubrication of the gun when you take it apart to clean it.

I'm going to play a bit more with it before I decide to return it or not......maybe they'll give me the newer model in return.

thanks fellows for your replies and suggestions

Ben

Thomas Williams
07-08-2009, 10:04 PM
After further reading, you are having problems with an Impulse nailer. If I recall correctly, you do have to adjust the depth setting for the different sized nails. Also, they do need to be lubricated. The manual should show you where. I use the oil made by Paslode.

Jonah Decker
07-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Are you using an impulse (cordless) or regular framer?
Sometimes in a regular framer with the smaller nails you can only feed one clip of nails at once. If you return the nailer I would recommend getting a Max

http://www.amazon.com/Max-SN883RH-SuperFramer-20-Degree-Framer/dp/B000LZE0DW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1247106089&sr=1-1

If you have an impulse I recommend the Hitachi

http://www.reconditionedsales.com/Gas_Nailers___c383.aspx

Ben Abate
07-09-2009, 6:43 AM
Thomas, Jonah,

Yes, it is an Impulse Nailer. Jonah, I prefer an airless like the Impulse. I have other air nailers. This worker perfect for the application I was using it for. I was building a pavilion at a remote location on the river. I know with the air nailers you just add a bit of lube to the air intake and things usually work fine. I wasn't sure if you can lube the slide of the Impulse. I was thinking it might gum things up and compound my problem. I'm going to reread the manual to see about the lubrication of the drive pin. I'm also going to contact Paslode about that also.

thanks fellows
Ben