PDA

View Full Version : Wood Slicer??

Mark Bear
07-03-2009, 12:21 AM
Question about bandsaw blades. I've been using Timerwolf for years with good results, no issues at all. BUT was wondering if there might be something better out there I may not know about. I heard about the Wood Slicer a few months ago. Basically I need the thinnest kerf along with the smoothest cut. Also looked at Laguna blades but skeptical on price. Any thoughts? Thanks

Curt Harms
07-03-2009, 7:31 AM
Iturra Design sells a "blade runner" which is supposedly the same blade as the Woodslicer for less money. I've found two different numbers for him: 904 642-2802 or 904-371-3998. I get the impression from reading posts about Iturra design that they know a whole lot more about bandsaws than they do about marketing.

Fred Hargis
07-03-2009, 9:03 AM
I really like the Woodslicer, and while I've read many opinions that it doesn't last as long as others, I haven't noticed that problem. But my replacement will be the Blade runner from Iturra. Same thing, but quite a bit less expensive.

Phil Thien
07-03-2009, 10:42 AM
I really like the Woodslicer, and while I've read many opinions that it doesn't last as long as others, I haven't noticed that problem. But my replacement will be the Blade runner from Iturra. Same thing, but quite a bit less expensive.

Most of the threads I've read have indicated that the WoodSlicer/Blade Runner (both made from Atlanta Sharptech originally developed for meat cutting) last as long as or outlast other carbon blades. Obviously, no carbon blade will outlast a bimetal or carbide-tipped blade when it comes to exotics full of silica, but I've been very pleased w/ the longevity of my Blade Runners.

Chris Padilla
07-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Basically I need the thinnest kerf along with the smoothest cut. Also looked at Laguna blades but skeptical on price. Any thoughts? Thanks

Yep, pretty much the same boat I'm in--always looking for the best resawing blade that yields the most veneers from a plank. Here are two blades I like...one is cheap to try out and the other, well, isn't! :) Both are Lenox.

Trimaster: carbide, $$$$s, 1" wide, 0.062" kerf, 2/3 var. pitch, pretty darn smooth cut

Diemaster2: bimetal, $s, 1/2" wide, 0.035" kerf, 6 tpi, hook style, perhaps a slightly rougher cut than the Trimaster. By my best estimation, I think this may be the blade David Marks uses on his big bandsaw for resawing.

I actually called up Iturra one day before Christmas last year to order a 3/4" wide Bladerunner. I guess my order paper fell behind the desk...no charge...no blade...never bothered to call back.

John Thompson
07-03-2009, 2:54 PM
If you need thinnest cut and smoothest surface... you probably should stay with the WS. I used it for years before I switched to a 3/4" Lennox Classic 3 TPI bi-metal blade as it will last much longer but... I still keep a WS on hand to do exoctics where I am trying to squeeze out every piece of veneer I can off one board. Bi-metal and carbide will last much longer as mentioned but you are going to sacrifice kerf thickness as they simply have wider kerfs.

The WS is an excellent blade and I have not used the BR which is tauted as the same blade.. cheaper price.

Good luck...

Joel Goodman
07-03-2009, 3:35 PM
+1 on woodslicer. Good blade for resawing.