PDA

View Full Version : Source for euro hinge inserts

Jason Hallowell
07-03-2009, 12:10 AM
My in-laws recently hired a company to re-face their cabinets. Against my advice, they ended up using plastic veneer, and buying new doors and drawer faces made of MDF faced with the same plastic veneer. They have since been having several problems with the cabinets, and there's not much recourse with the company, as they went out of business halfway through this job (wonder why). I've been asked to see if I can fix the situation and get the cabinets functional again.

The installers used a hinge boring jig or machine that made a 35mm cup hole, as well as two 8mm holes for each hinge. They then used the blum hinges with the plastic inserts that fit in the 8mm holes. The problem (one of many) is that they only installed the plastic insert and screw in about 2/3 of the holes, leaving most of the hinges attatched with only one screw.

I have several sources for hinges with the plastic inserts, but nobody I've found sells just the insert. I'm not ready to shell out a bunch of $ for hinges just to steal a few dozen $0.02 parts off of them. I could make up a bunch of 8mm dowel, cut it into into small plugs, glue them into all the holes, and then pilot drill holes in the center of the dowels for the screws, but it just seems like a lot of uneccesary work when I know that those little plastic plugs exist. I also worry about getting the dowels flush without marring the cheap plastic veneer.

Anyone know of a source, or have any suggestions?

Glen Butler
07-03-2009, 12:31 AM
There is a company here in Utah that will ship to you. They are Louis and Company in Salt Lake City. They have a web site but no pricing as they are a whole saler. You will need to set up an account with them but they should be able to get you anything you need at the best prices I know of.

Another choice would be Timberline Tools in Orem, UT. They also have a web site. Not everything is listed on the site, but call the toll free number and ask for Jeff as he is pretty helpful. I know they have just the plastic inserts of which you speak, and they should be able to get you everything you need without an account.

Jamie Buxton
07-03-2009, 12:38 AM
Here you go --- http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm/ProductID/B070.0532

Jason Hallowell
07-03-2009, 1:31 AM
Thanks for the quick responses. I knew they were out there, but I was just looking in the wrong places.

Steve Clardy
07-03-2009, 12:31 PM
Be sure and see if the screws come with the inserts.
The insert screws are not a standard thread.