PDA

View Full Version : Rock Chuck for CarveWright

Dave Garcia
07-02-2009, 11:36 PM
One and all,

How many SMC'ers have and or use the CarveWright CNC machine?

Who among you have heard of, purchased and or used the Rock Chuck replacement tool chuck device on their CarveWright?

Thanks in advance for any and all comments.

Dave Garcia :)
The Wood Block, Ltd
-----------------------------------
CarveWright CNC router plus Designer Software
MacBook Pro with OSX
Photo Shop Elements 6
LaserPro C180 (soon)

AL Ursich
07-04-2009, 1:12 PM
It is a great replacement for the QC to hold the bits. No more bit flutter...

AL

Dave Garcia
07-04-2009, 5:29 PM
It is a great replacement for the QC to hold the bits. No more bit flutter...

AL

Al,

Thank you very much for this input. I've noticed on my CarveWright that there seems to be a lot of vibration. I just thought it was the flex shaft and have let it go at that. But the more I read about this Rock Chuck the more I'm thinking that the vibration comes from the runout of the chuck somewhere. What you are telling me is that I could be right?

Quesiton. Do you have a CarveWright machine and have you changed your QC to the Rock Chuck?

Question. If so, did you have any problems taking the QC off? I'm reading that heat must be used to loosen up the lock tight to get the QC off. Comments?

Dave :)
The Wood Block, Ltd

AL Ursich
07-04-2009, 9:08 PM
Dave,

I post on the CW forum as Digitalwoodshop and I had to heat the old QC with my Crack Torch I use for Epoxy Doming to get it off. Watch Ron's Video that helps.

Yes the Rock is SO much quiter.... Like I posted over on the CW.... It is SO Quiet now my buddy Ricky the Rattle Snake came to visit again thinking I was gone.... Need to make more noise.....

The old QC with 3 ball bearings holding the bit holder just wore out too quick... I would have used 9 or 12 Ball Bearings.

AL aka Digitalwoodshop:D

Kendall Stokke
07-05-2009, 11:42 AM
dave

i have two carvewrights and have changed both to the rock chuck.

there is almost no vibration and the cuts are better but the best part to me is it is so much quieter that the qc.

if you watch ron's video of how to remove and replace with the rock chuck you should have no problem unless someone used red loctite to put it on.

if your going to get a carvewright i would definnitely get the rock chuck to go with it

kendall

hey al i see your not "al who" on this forum lol

Dave Garcia
07-06-2009, 9:56 PM
dave

i have two carvewrights and have changed both to the rock chuck.

there is almost no vibration and the cuts are better but the best part to me is it is so much quieter that the qc.

if you watch ron's video of how to remove and replace with the rock chuck you should have no problem unless someone used red loctite to put it on.

if your going to get a carvewright i would definnitely get the rock chuck to go with it

kendall

hey al i see your not "al who" on this forum lol

Kendall,

Thank you very much for your comments.

I already have a CarveWright. Got it last year. But, and this is where the Rock Chuck really caught my eye, there are two BIG issues, vibration and noise. Living in a townhouse community, noise is a very big deal. Although I can close my garage door and use my other wood machines, the CarveWright, even with a hush house, still sounds pretty bad out on the street.

And yes, I will watch Ron's video on how to remove the QC since I've never done this before. Thanks for the reminder. Hopefully the Rock Chuck, complete with the appropriate hardware, will arrive sometime this week.

Thanks again.

The Wood Block, Ltd

Kendall Stokke
07-07-2009, 5:38 PM
dave

the rock chuck will not dissappoint you

i wish someone would put a sound meter on the machine before the rock chuck and after to see what the sound difference is.

heck my wife even lets me run both machines at once and it is not as loud as one was originally

good luck

kendall

Dave Garcia
07-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Kendall,

Thanks again! I too am really looking forward to getting the Rock Chuck installed on my machine because of the noise!!!

Dave :)
The Wood Block, Ltd

Dave Garcia
07-10-2009, 4:41 PM
One and all,

I thought I'd give everyone on this forum the benefit of some of the issues I've had with this new Rock Chuck, and the removal of the original CarveWright QC.

First of all, Ron does in fact provide a great after market product for our CarveWright machines. He has been personable and very professional. His advertisements and removal video tutorials are outstanding. But I carried that a little further and read EVERY note in this forum, and the CNC Art Guild forum, on the Rock Chuck concerning the removal of the original QC before buying and attempting to replace my QC with the new Rock Chuck. There were a number of individuals that stated that heat, in varying degrees, was necessary to remove the original QC. That should have been a clue to me. But.........

Here's the issue. After watching the video and reviewing the various posts, I elected to try to remove the original QC without using heat as Ron did in his video. It didn't work. The first thing to happen was that the square ended original QC removing tool broke. Thankfully there was no damage to the machine and I was able to replace the shaft and continue on with my project carving. Now if I could only find the square ended piece that broke off.

I've again reviewed both the video and the forum posts and I can see, in my case with my machine anyway, where heat is going to have to be applied in order to break loose the original QC fittings. But I'm out the cost of a new QC removal tool from Rock Chuck.

My suggestion to those who have, or will spend the $181 to purchase one of these new Rock Chucks, is to do some "preventative planning" and get a second square ended original QC removal tool when you place your original order for the Rock Chuck. I'm not sure how that's done but I'm sure that Ron will be able to provide you with that information. Unfortunately it costs some additional dollars which I feel should not have been necessary in the first place.

Good luck to everyone with this. Once I get my second removal tool, speak with a few other folks about which way and how to apply the proper amount of heat to loosen the fitting on the original QC, hopefully I'll be able to remove it and find out first hand whether or not this new Rock Chuck does in fact do everything everyone has said it would do.

Dave :confused:
The Wood Block, Ltd

Bruce Volden
07-10-2009, 5:03 PM
First off I apologize for being in the dark. I have a "beta" machine that I seldom use, perhaps 3 hrs. since new? I bought the scanning probe (still unused) and now I am reading about a new chuck...my intention is not to keep up with everything but, try to keep abreast of new things. PS that isn't happening either-I tried to fire up my CW and I was so many versions of software behind I had to call LHR to get a "push" from them. Anyway, is there a link for this new stuff?

I find myself keeping busy with the laser end of things therefore all else gets dropped. :mad:

Kendall~love the Platte area for it's scenery and walleye production!!!

Bruce

AL Ursich
07-10-2009, 10:16 PM
Bruce,

They made a change with the Z Motor and have a Z Bundle with a new motor, new 14 pin cable to replace the thinner 16 pin cable and a 14 pin circuit board for the other end. The heavier wires of the 14 pin help with the Z Stall problems. It also moves the probe to the left side inside cover jack with jumper.

The ROCK will make a big difference in cutting quality and noise.

I spend so much time with my CW, my 2 old laser's just sit... :eek:

As for the CW QC, I used a small crack torch to heat the area close to the nut. I broke 3 square drive bits on another QC that I think was put on with forever red locktite.... Gave up on it....

When I ordered my Rock, I bought 3 extra square drive bits... Just in case.....

AL

Peter Meacham
07-11-2009, 9:39 AM
Well, I changed my chuck out yesterday and installed a Rock Chuck - did not have to use heat - in fact, the old one came off with about the same effort as Ron shows in his video - and I am the original owner (older machine).

Seems to be quieter with the new chuck - but the CW is not a quiet machine! You still need hearing protection.

Rob Slaughterbeck
07-19-2009, 12:47 PM
I too had recently purchased and installed the ROCK chuck. I was fortunate that my original QC had no thread locker and when it did come loose before I used a small amount of blue loctite, therefore it broke loose pretty easy. I have only done 1 carving since installing it, but am extremely please with it and Ron's service. The ROCK is simply a must have for the CarveWright/CompuCarve machine. The improved performance, less vibration and escape from inferior overpriced bit adapters will quickly pay for itself.

Rob

Dave Garcia
07-19-2009, 9:25 PM
Rob,

Great news! Now if I can only get my original QC off for the new RC. Got the two new square tools today. Will make my second attempt sometime tomorrow. Stay tuned!

The Wood Block, Ltd

Dave Garcia
07-22-2009, 12:34 PM
One and all,

How many SMC'ers have and or use the CarveWright CNC machine?

Who among you have heard of, purchased and or used the Rock Chuck replacement tool chuck device on their CarveWright?

Thanks in advance for any and all comments.

The Wood Block, Ltd
-----------------------------------
CarveWright CNC router plus Designer Software
MacBook Pro with OSX
Photo Shop Elements 6
LaserPro C180 (soon)

One and all plus Ron Justice,

Just thought I'd provide a follow up to my last post concerning the issues and replacement of my QC with the Rock Chuck.

First of all, whomever used a hair dryer to apply heat must have gotten very lucky. And as he said, a little dab will do ya! We're all getting on up there in years but I too remember that commercial.

Secondly, I also thought there were only three grades of locktite, red, yellow and blue. My QC had GREEN locktite on it, and that was BEFORE I applied heat, so it did not change colors because of the heat.

Thirdly, I followed Ron's heating directions to the letter plus some. I think I used up an entire roll of aluminum foil and a couple of water soaked towels in the process. But did not burn any belts and or ruin any bearing seals.

Fourth point. I ordered TWO new square removing tools after breaking the first one, and I'm very glad that I did, because I broke one of the two new ones as well. So I'd strongly recommend to anyone making this change to get, at the minimum, two and possibly three of these square removal tools.

OK, now on with the narrative. I must have watched Ron's video a couple of hundred times and still made some silly mistakes. I did in fact remove the plastic cover from the CW, but I did not disconnect the top switch wires, just moved the cover to the back and supported it so that there was no strain on the wires, and it was out of the way of the flame pattern from my propane torch. Then I placed double and sometimes triple layers of aluminum foil to cover the Z truck track, around the Z truck, around the Y tracks and just about every where else I could think that might be affected by the heat from the propane torch. I followed the 1/2" shaft length and installation to the letter. After the aluminum foil etc, I wrapped the Z truck with a wet towel, put the wrench in place per the video, and started adding heat. The video states that heat should be added for about 2 to 3 minutes or until it glows sort of pinkish. Around plastic and computer parts that scares the hell out of me and I thought I was fearless. That's when I broke the second square removal tool. With one left I removed the foil and towel just to check to see if the heat had caused any damage. It hadn't, so I felt a little bolder. I replaced all of the foil and the towel and the steel rod (yes, I had it mounted in the old tool holder etc as per the video) and begin applying heat again, only this time I applied it for about four minutes. I then let it sit for a minute or two before inserting my last square removal tool and giving it a couple of "loving" taps vice constant torque. Low and behold it began to move!!! Finally I was able to get the original QC off.

The story does not end there. After cleaning the threads and looking at the video again to see if Ron recommended using blue locktite on the new chuck (he doesn't or I didn't see it, again) I went back to my machine and promptly put the Rock Chuck collar on upside down!!! Once I got that turned around, literally, the rest went smoothly without a hitch and I'm now a proud owner/operator of a CW machine with a new Rock Chuck.

Still haven't carved anything with it because I need to visit my local hardware store for some shrink wrap and or some of those nylon plumbing washers to use as stops for the bits.

There you have it. Hope this helps someone out there to keep from reinventing the wheel.

The Wood Block, Ltd

Dave Garcia
07-23-2009, 4:18 PM
One and all,

As a final follow up to my original post, I thought I'd jot down a few final comments and thoughts after carving my very first project using my new Rock Chuck.

The moment the CW started up it was QUIET with hardly ANY vibration! Although with the door to my shop closed, I still had to wear ear protection inside my shop. But walking around outside and visiting with my neighbors while the machine was running, the machine was not any louder than a car driving by. Now that is quality! Ron Justice, ya done good!

My only question to Ron, is why haven't you gotten with the CarveWright folks and made them some sort of deal to have your chucks installed at the factory???? Seems there would be a ton of money to be made there. And how about getting your fine product patented or at least trade market?? I'll be glad to write you a glowing endorsement!!

Ok, now on with the story. As usual, even with watching the video and reading all of the written comments that Ron has made I still messed up with my first carve. I thought I had tightened the set screw on the Rock Chuck good enough but........ Yup, about a third of the way through the carve I started to see ridges appearing, deeper and deeper as the carve went on. After I stopped the machine I tightened the set screw again, probably a little more than what Ron recommends in his video, and the carve continued on as smooth as silk.

The only other concern, or issue, that I had with this first carve on the new Rock Chuck was the bit length out of the chuck. Initially I used a block of wood for a depth gauge to set the bits. This carve used the regular 1/16" carve bit and the 1/8" ogee bit. The carve bit I had no problems with. But when the machine asked me for the ogee bit during the last stages of the carve, and I replaced it as asked using my wood depth gauge, the machine told me that it was not set right. It did ask me whether or not I wanted to adjust and or continue, so I pushed the continue button and the carve proceeded along quite nicely and turned out very well.

Now if I could only figure out how to use the Designer Software!

I am extremely happy with the Rock Chuck and would strongly recommend it to anyone who is thinking of and or already has a CW machine. It is one of the best after market items that I've purchased in a very long time! Noise and vibration were cut at least in half from the original QC. Even the flex shaft was steady as a rock. And flex shaft heating? Other than what I consider to be normal, after an hour running, not even a warm spot.

Hope this helps those of you that are still sitting on the fence trying to decide to buy one of these things or not. Do it now! You'll certainly be happy with it.

The Wood Block, Ltd

AL Ursich
07-24-2009, 9:06 PM
Here is an offering from Ask Bud of the CarveWright Forum, plans to make your own front loading dust collector vacuum port. http://store.carvewright.com//home.php?cat=261

This machine is bring out lots of ideas and making your own collector is a good idea. I made my collector from Copper Circuit Board Material.

Check out the postings about Ask Bud's port on the CW Website.

I am working on a 4th axis sled..... in my spare time...

AL

Gary Hitchcock
08-02-2009, 1:26 PM
Where do I buy a RC ?
Is it a direct replacement?
No special mods need to be done on the RC ?

How much ?
and
From whom ?

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=331&folderid=299887&groupid=70644&folderview=thumbs&ck=

Some photos of rejects,

Dave Garcia
08-02-2009, 2:06 PM
Gary,

Here is the web site for purchasing the RC.

www.cw-parts.com (http://www.cw-parts.com/)

The gentlemen in charge is Mr. Ron Justice.

The only issue you might have, besides voiding the warranty with LHR the maker of the CarveWright, is getting the original QC off. I had to use a propane torch with a special fixture to do so. But Ron gives you everything you need in the way of instructions to do just that. Sometimes it's difficult, like my case, other times it's easy. Someone even used a hair drier to heat it just a little to loosen the lock tight.

The entire package will run you about $180. But, my suggestion to you is that you spend the extra bucks and get a second removal tool. Just about every one that has changed to the RC, has broken at least one of those little things. I broke two in the process. But here again, Ron will help you in any way he can.

Bottom line is that once you change to the RC, your noise and vibration will be reduced by at least 50% if not more. The RC removes all of the run out of the original QC. And I'm also hearing that LHR is considering some sort of warranty change for this as well. Stay tuned.

Hope this helps. And good luck with the removal of your original QC, it is worth every penny!

The Wood Block, Ltd

Gary Hitchcock
08-02-2009, 2:35 PM
Thank you
My QC is at CW now :eek:, I had purchased a QC (3rd one) and it was defective, so had to go a few rounds with sales, finely sent entire truck assy. to CW, no outcome yet. I'm not too pleased with my CW, I've had it
for 18 months, got less then 300 hours on it, keeps breaking,
the click and drag icons software is great, spent some time in a learning curve, the depth of cuts set with the icons are way to deep, most of my carves are less then 1/8th deep @ 80 to 90%.
I had to cut one of the old QC's off with a grinder, did ok but the finial
cut was a grind along the threads of the shaft and then twist and break the last few mills of metal of the QC, just flattened the tops of a few threads, :mad:
I'll spend the $$$, after three QC's and the support hassel, I think it's worth the money.

Thanks again for the info.

Dave Garcia
08-02-2009, 9:27 PM
Gary,

Sorry to hear of your problems with the CW. But am glad that you are getting it fixed.

No worries about the software issues. Everyone that I've spoken with goes through the same thing. I think Jason, of The Little Red Wood Shop, who I bought my machine from, is the only one who can cruise through using the software, but then again he's been working with it for a number of years now. For the rest of us it's the tried and true trial and error schoolf learning!

You'll be impressed with the Rock, especially the 50% reduction in noise and vibration. Have even been told that with the reduced vibration most of the other issues with the trucks etc, seem to go away. Hmmmm. School is still out on that one.

The Wood Block, Ltd

AL Ursich
08-03-2009, 10:49 AM
If you still have vibration with the rock look at the bearings on the X and Z. I found a loose Y bearing last night... A tug in all directions of the bit after loading will find a loose bearing. It is a eccentric bearing lock.

AL