PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new string trimmer

Colin Giersberg
07-02-2009, 8:49 PM
Points: 2 vs 4 cycle noise. Are 4-cycle trimmers that much quieter?
Brands. Looking at Troy Built and Husqvarna, but other brands may be acceptable. Have seen Echo, but Home Depot only has the 2 cycle model.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Regards, Colin

Stephen Musial
07-02-2009, 10:50 PM
I just bought a Husqvarna at Lowes on Sunday because the Troybuilt gave up the ghost after only 5 years. The click and lock attachments fit the Husq and even though it's the same size, it feels a lot more powerful.

Steve Rozmiarek
07-03-2009, 2:10 AM
Yes, 4 cycle is smoother and quieter and more reliable. Also runs longer on a tuneup, and no stinking mixed fuel exhaust! I have a Honda, which is an industrial straight shaft monster. Very similar frame size to the big Stihl's, but 4 cycle. Highly recommened. Personally I would not buy a trimmer from a borg. Find your local dealers, they'll stock stuff that actually works.

Chris Damm
07-03-2009, 7:33 AM
I just retired both my 2 cycle Weed Eater and my 4 cylce from Sears and bought a B&D 18v with 2 batteries. It has enough power to fit my needs and I don't have to mess with the gas, oil and spark plugs anymore. I've only used it for about a month now but I am sold on it. The battery life is excellant and I haven't had to recharge the first battery yet. I have a .4 acre lot with a lot of stuff to trim around.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-03-2009, 8:09 AM
Look at the Stihl line. I have had one for nearly 8 years with no problems. I did change spark plugs once.

One quick note about any gas powered trimmer. Read the owner's manual very carefully. In the case of the Stihl, it spells it out very bluntly You have to use middle grade gas and it provides the minimum octane level. It also states using lesser grades/octane gas could cause the trimmer motor to overheat.

Ted Shrader
07-03-2009, 1:06 PM
Personally I would not buy a trimmer from a borg. Find your local dealers, they'll stock stuff that actually works.Another vote for Stihl. The straight shaft ones are more durable since they don't have a flexible drive shaft to make the bend at teh end. When cold, my Stihl starts on the second pull every time. One to prime it, the next to run it. After it is warmed up, starts on the first pull.

Get a spool of trimmer line the correct size when you get the new trimmer. The are some with ridges on the outside of the string that seem to last longer than the smooth stuff.

Regards,
Ted

Steve Rozmiarek
07-03-2009, 2:51 PM
Stihl is great stuff, I have one of them too, but they don't make 4 cycle as far as I know.

Ron Jones near Indy
07-03-2009, 3:19 PM
Second the B&D cordless. Over 2 years with no problems.

Mike Malott
07-03-2009, 4:04 PM
I'm on my second Stihl trimmer in 30 years...highly recommended!

Mike

Colin Giersberg
07-03-2009, 11:33 PM
Well, I ended up getting the Husqvarna 224L 4-cycle trimmer. So far, I like it. It seems to be very quiet, at least to the point that you could hear someone talk to you without having to shout. I finished cutting the weeds without having to give it very much gas, and I didn't break the cutting line once, even while cutting against brick, and a picket fence. To sum it all up, I likes it.

Regards, Colin

Angie Orfanedes
07-04-2009, 3:02 PM
Third vote for B&D battery powered. I have two batteries and a one acre lot, and it comes out even. No muss with starting or mixing gas and oil. And I finally figured out how to wind and replenish the spools, too (they don't work when you wind the string on backwards).

Jim Becker
07-04-2009, 6:32 PM
I've been extremely pleased with my RedMaxx, sold to me by my Stihl dealer.

Mac Carlton
07-04-2009, 9:49 PM
If you are looking for a reiliable trimmer don't buy at big box store those are made to compete on price not one you can rely on. I have three makitas the oldest being around 25 yrs old give or take .It was used by a city crew before I bought it for parts from my local shop,so I thought .I fixed it .JUST GO BUY FROM A LOCAL SHOP . BUY WHAT THE LAWNCARE GUYS USE AND YOU WILL HAVE NOT PROBLEMS.