PDA

View Full Version : Sealing wood

Ted Evans
07-02-2009, 8:36 PM
Does any one use parraffin wax for sealing their wood? Is it better than, as good as or not as good as anchor seal? How do they compare in price? What are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Bear

curtis rosche
07-02-2009, 9:20 PM
it works, but not as good as commercial sealers. it is harder to do cause the best way to do it is to dip the wood, hard to do with a large peice. it depends on how cheap wax is

Bernie Weishapl
07-02-2009, 9:31 PM
I tried the wax bit. It was just to much hassle for me. Anchorseal or Greenwood sealer is the best.

Ted Evans
07-02-2009, 9:38 PM
Hey Bernie, Curtis, thanks for the prompt reply. I will forget the wax, I have never used either but thought the wax might offer more protection , thanks.

Bear

Wally Dickerman
07-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Paraffin wax works well for bowl blanks that have been sawn square. Lots of turning wood suppliers use it. Dipping the ends in melted wax in an old electric frying pan is the way many of them do it.

Wally

Judy Kingery
07-02-2009, 10:19 PM
Yep, I use wax and paint it on - extremely cheap and I mostly turn bowls. Works aok for us anyway! Jude

Norm Zax
07-02-2009, 11:10 PM
I have only used candle wax. Make sure its hot enough or it paints on white and may crack and peel over time if the wood moves a lot. Only con is the danger of heating wax over a flame - make sure the wax is under the rim by at least an inch. Vapors are combustable.

curtis rosche
07-03-2009, 10:52 AM
it worls for dryer woods. but really wet woods or ones that like to crack dont work so well.

William Bachtel
07-03-2009, 10:58 AM
Both work well, wax is a hassle and works and its not ready when you need it. Anchorseal is ready at a moments notice, and its last a long time, and covers a lot. I bet wax is more costly, it takes fuel to melt it, and if you purchased enough to make a gallon of it, its most likely going to cost more than anchorseal. I vote anchorseal .