PDA

View Full Version : Danish Oil Gummy

Burt Alcantara
07-02-2009, 8:04 PM
I put a second coat of Danish Oil on a bowl. The first coat dried normally, albeit, a bit slow. This coat is on for 2 1/2 days and is still tacky. I put a very thin coat on yet it pooled on both the inside bottom and outside bottom. Wiped it off with a paper towel but it's still tacky. Has my DO gone bad? It's about 1 year old (give or take).

I need this dry by Saturday as I'm bringing this as a gift at a dinner party.

Would it make sense to give it a coat of poly if it ever dries? I plan to run it thru the Beall to smooth it out.

Thanks,
Burt

Roger Wilson
07-02-2009, 8:19 PM
...I put a second coat of Danish Oil on a bowl. The first coat dried normally, albeit, a bit slow. This coat is on for 2 1/2 days and is still tacky...

I've had this happen when the temps were too low and/or the humidity was too high.

I've put whatever I was finishing in the sun and a room with higher temps. No guarantee on the bowl not cracking if you put it into the sun.

If you want to seal it in try shellac, it can be used under or over any other finish. Look at Zinnser seal-coat (dewaxed clear).

Steve Schlumpf
07-02-2009, 8:30 PM
Burt - sounds like what happens when the stuff gets old. I've had it happen a few times and the only thing I found that worked was to wipe the turning down with mineral spirits to remove all the DO possible - then buy a new can and start over.

I have been able to extend the life of the DO by adding a little mineral spirits to it before applying to the wood. Sounds like whatever agent is responsible for thinning the DO (like mineral spirits, etc) has evaporated.

Good luck with your finish!

Bob Hallowell
07-02-2009, 8:37 PM
I stoped using DO for that reason. I perfer AO as it dries in an hour or so and looks as nice a DO.

Bob

Dale Miner
07-02-2009, 8:38 PM
I've found that the second, third, etc, coats can often times take a very long time to dry. In some cases, the gummy surface never dries to the touch. Bad Danish? Don't know, but it seems to happen with a fresh can also.

What I have done to remove the tacky top layer is to wet steel wool the piece with 4/0 steel wool, using deodorized mineral spirits to wet the steel wool. Wipe dry with soft towels when finished with the steel wool.

The above has been done to several pieces, and while there is not a lot of buildup on the surface when finished, it does leave a nice soft luster. Haven't tried buffing after the wet steel wool process, but after the mineral spirits dry, the surface seems as though it would accept buffing.

Later,
Dale M

Bernie Weishapl
07-02-2009, 9:35 PM
I to have quit using Danish oil because of drying problems. I have never had a problem with Antique oil. I would do like Steve said and wash it down with mineral spirits and put it in the sun to dry. Then start fresh. Burt do you wipe of the excess when you apply it? I have found if I flood it on, let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes then wipe of the excess with a paper towel it will dry fairly well. What I had a problem with was the second coat.

Burt Alcantara
07-02-2009, 10:59 PM
Good suggestions. I'll try the mineral spirits and maybe just leave it plain.

Thanks,
Burt

Eugene Malone
07-03-2009, 12:11 AM
Hi to all, havent posted in some time but check out the site most days. Have learned a lot on here thanks to all.
On the D/O problem I suppose in your vast country Temps/Humidity have a big say in the type of materiels you use. Albeit I'm only a short time turning,I came across an article by an old turner who has never used anything other than Liqued Pariffin on his work.
So I use it on anything I do,same as D/O put it on and wipe off excess.Iy drys out in a very short time and because it was used as a medicine and is still used by vetanairans it is food safe. With the different timbers you use in the US try on a piece of scrap first.
Hope this is of help. REgards Eugene.

Kyle Iwamoto
07-03-2009, 1:13 AM
We have a local wood here that oils never dry on. What I found to work is to spray it with a coat of Deft in a rattle can. I just love that stuff. I made a travel mug a year ago, sprayed it with that, and use it almost every day, and the finish has not worn off yet.

Try it on an inconspicuous area first. Does anyone really know exactly where that is????? I've never found it... LOL