PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a drum sander for this price?

Ryan Eldridge
07-02-2009, 6:53 PM
Hi there all I have an opportunity to buy a 16" ryobi WDS1600 drum sander for $200 it is in decent used condition, runs well, and the belt on it is in good condition.

There have been several projects in the past year where I would have liked to use a drum sander and at this price it seems like it might be good.

What are your thoughts? Should I be looking at anything in particular before purchasing this?

Michael Donahue
07-02-2009, 7:14 PM
Hi there all I have an opportunity to buy a 16" ryobi WDS1600 drum sander for $200 it is in decent used condition, runs well, and the belt on it is in good condition.

There have been several projects in the past year where I would have liked to use a drum sander and at this price it seems like it might be good.

What are your thoughts? Should I be looking at anything in particular before purchasing this?

I'd buy it. I picked up a Delta 18" drum sander for $300 and it has been a great addition to my shop. My sander has been a big help with woods that my planer just eats up, like the knotty pine I've used on my last few projects.

I almost forgot...do you have a dust collector? I wouldn't use a drum sander without one.

Dick Bringhurst
07-02-2009, 7:28 PM
I had a Ryobi before I got my Delta. While the price is right, you will pull your hair out trying to get the paper installed. The clip on the motor end is very dificult to operate. Changing paper is NOT quick and easy. Dick B.

Phil Thien
07-02-2009, 8:19 PM
I had a Ryobi before I got my Delta. While the price is right, you will pull your hair out trying to get the paper installed. The clip on the motor end is very dificult to operate. Changing paper is NOT quick and easy. Dick B.

I have the Ryobi and once you've dont it a few times it isn't that bad. I guess I don't run through papers very much, keeping a rather coarse grit on mine. But at $200 I'd be on that sander like white on rice.

Ryan Eldridge
07-05-2009, 10:35 AM
Hey there guys,

well I went ahead and bought the sander. It is excellent condition just needed a bit of a cleaning. Hopefully next weekend I can use it to do some sanding on a table top I need to make.

It will also really help out for christmas gift season because a couple of my sisters want new cutting boards.

THanks for the advice.