PDA

View Full Version : Talon Chuck question?

Gary Conklin
07-02-2009, 5:41 PM
I want to grip a larger tenon with my Talon than the jaws I have. Has anyone ever skipped the first screw hole and mounted jaws to the second set of holes to increase the gripping size? I looked at it and it appears doable, and not unsafe (though I am sure Oneway would not recommend it.)

If not I can always turn the tenon down alot more between centers.

Bob Hamilton
07-02-2009, 6:06 PM
Hi, Gary:
I actually did a book review a few years ago where I was astonished to see a picture in the book where the author had done exactly that. I e-mailed a scan of the picture to Kevin Clay at Oneway Mfg. and his comment was about what you seem to expect. :) It is entirely possible that you might get away with it but you are relying totally on the strength of the single screw for your hold. When using the chuck as designed the screws are not really under much load because the locating rib in the back of the jaw is engaged with the groove in the face of the base slide and that is what is providing most of the gripping strength. The screws are mainly just keeping the rib engaged with the groove. Doing what you suggest is transferring the entire load to one single component that was not designed for it.

I wouldn't.
Bob

Steve Schlumpf
07-02-2009, 6:15 PM
I agree with Bob! Take the time and turn down the tenon to a size that the jaws will grab - normally!

Ryan Baker
07-02-2009, 7:52 PM
No, get the proper set of jaws. Turning down the tenon too far to fit an undersized set of jaws is not a safe thing to do either. I see far too many people turning big objects with the stock jaws because they don't want to spend the money on the proper jaws. Do it safely or don't do it at all.

Lance kanaby
07-02-2009, 9:12 PM
You need to work safely and using only one screw instead of the two is not a safe proceedure. I would strongly suggest that you purchase the proper size jaws for this chuck.

Bernie Weishapl
07-02-2009, 9:28 PM
I agree with what has been said. You put in one screw in each jaw and then tighten the jaws onto the tenon you are putting some extreme pressure on the one screw in each jaw. If you have a catch it wouldn't be nice if one of the screws snapped. Get the #3 jaws, put them on and then make a bigger tenon. I have the oneway chuck with the tommy bars and put the #3 smooth jaws on it. I make a 4" tenon and it holds nicely. I use this on bowls over 12" and HF's. I would make your tenon smaller to fit the jaws you have so that they are almost closed for the most gripping power.

Like Bob said I wouldn't.