PDA

View Full Version : got a new sharpener, maybe, will this work for turning tools?

curtis rosche
07-02-2009, 2:49 PM
i got this wet grinder from my grandmother. it was my grandfathers but over the past few years he went from being able to work and do everything to now he is in an Alzheimers care facility. shes trying to clean out the basement some but he was a wood worker and a packrat. so the basement is full of everything you could think of.
so heres the grinder, will this work to somehow sharpen turning tools, like gouges?

Steve Schlumpf
07-02-2009, 4:36 PM
Does it work? Looks like everything will have to be sharpened freehand but the only way to see if it will work for you is to give it a try. Lots of luck!

Bill Bolen
07-02-2009, 5:17 PM
I had the Craftsman version of this a few years ago and it worked very well on bench chisels and lathe skew's. As for the other turning tools a homemade holding jig will get you what you need. Shape on a dry grinder and this will sharpen your edges to a razor edge...Bill...

curtis rosche
07-02-2009, 6:53 PM
i tried to use it, but for some reason the pump that moves the water isnt pumpming the water . so i guess i will have to take it apart and make it work

Jarrod McGehee
07-03-2009, 1:05 AM
that sounds like it's what you gotta do man. good luck with it. i'm sure you can figure it out.