PDA

View Full Version : New gloat...for almost 17 minutes

Jerome Hanby
07-02-2009, 2:08 PM
Picked up a Rockwell/Delta 28-200 14" bandsaw. Looks like it was made in the 70's. Great shape, just been sitting awhile, so it needed a little cleanup and some lubrication. Talked the seller down to $180, paid cash, and we loaded it up. For some (apparent now) dumb reason I didn't want to lay the saw down on it's side. About fifteen minutes later, I lost it over the side of the truck getting on the Interstate on ramp. Luckily, it didn't hit anyone and a nice guy stopped and helped me load it back in the truck (lying down this time). Right off the bat, I know I warped the base, didn't have the heart to look at anything else more closely:(

Mike OMelia
07-02-2009, 2:21 PM
Bummer. But as long as the cast iron is not cracked, you should be OK. I have read similar stories like this about tipping over bandsaws while hauling. Let us know how it works out.

Mike

Jerome Hanby
07-02-2009, 2:32 PM
Hopefully not cracked, guess I'll have a close look Tomorrow. Looking on the bright side, may be an excuse to start ordering goodies from the Iturra catalog...

Peter Quinn
07-02-2009, 9:44 PM
Wow, I am truly sorry for your pain, but I am laughing out loud at the though or visual if you will of a 14" band saw jumping ship an the entrance ramp; right out of the truck? Those were tough tools back then, I bet the business end is all right. And that is a great deal on a nice 14" saw!

Did you get that on video?

Chip Lindley
07-03-2009, 12:48 AM
Sorry about your catastrophe! Cartage is a Science! Not an Art! Lashing machinery down to ride upright is possible with ratcheting tie-down straps. Better to tie it down TOO WELL than (as you found out) not nearly well enough. Lesson learned.

Mike Lipke
07-03-2009, 7:21 AM
Friend of mine lost a piano he was hauling in his pickup. I was following behind, and watched it go over the side in what seemed like slow motion. It looked like a Piano Grenade went off afterwards. Thousands of pieces of keys and parts. Wasn't funny then, but is hilarious now.

abram godshall
07-03-2009, 8:09 AM
we haul materials/equipment all the time and ALWAYS strap or chain everything. BIG FINE in PA for unsecured loads!!!!!

Jeremy Brant
07-03-2009, 8:22 AM
I recruited a friend of mine to help me pick up a computer desk that another friend of mine was giving away due to relocation. Same thing happened. Seemed heavy enough and we didn't have anything to tie it down with, so we figured we'd be all right taking it slow. First left hand turn and it went over the side into the road. The biggest intact piece was the file drawer. I picked up all the pieces and threw them in the back of the truck. When I got home I figured out only one of the pieces had actually broken, the rest just came apart at the seams/joints. I reassembled and am still using it today (5 years and 2 moves later).

Mike Cutler
07-03-2009, 8:30 AM
Jerome

We'll skip the advice to better secure the load next time. Rest assured though that any of us that haul things in the back of our trucks have lost something once over the side. Mine was a washing machine, that "jumped" over the tail gate.:o

Get the machine home and check it out. Being that you were only on the entrance ramp the amount of energy imparted to the machine would be much lower than if had fallen out at highway speeds. It may just need some creative "whacking" with a dead blow mallet to make things right.

Mike Heidrick
07-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Check the table trunnions well. You might still be able to get the parts you need if any.

Myk Rian
07-03-2009, 12:24 PM
Band saws travel very well on their backs, not their sides.
A couple 4x4s under it to steady the load, tie downs, and away you go.

David DeCristoforo
07-03-2009, 3:16 PM
I only have one word for you... ROPE!!!! But that's for next time... While I am sorry to hear of your mishap, I am thankful that no one was hurt. A loose bandsaw bouncing down the freeway ramp would be enough to ruin anyone's day!

Jerome Hanby
07-03-2009, 4:48 PM
I had it tied down, obviously not well enough. Big mistake was keeping it upright. If I had been leaving from home to look, I'd have had ratcheting tie downs and better line...and maybe my wife tgo tell me not to be stupid and lay the saw down:D

Preliminary inspection looks pretty good. Sede no problems with the cast iron parts, trunnions look ok. The stand took a beating, but it looks like I may be able to cut a "squared" wooden base and use it to "unwarp" the stand.

James Van Vleet
07-03-2009, 10:01 PM
..or don't bother with the stand. I have a Rockwell/Delta wood/metal cutting bandsaw and I hated the stand. That sucker caused nothing but vibration. Made a stand with a bottom drawer out of 3/4 MDF, painted it grey and am better off for it.

Getting rid of the stand is an opportunity. If everything else is good I would not bother with the stand.

-James

Jerome Hanby
07-04-2009, 6:55 AM
Good suggestion!

Mike Cruz
07-04-2009, 7:46 AM
You know, I just picked up a 14" Ridgid band saw a couple of weeks ago (CL, $150, hehe, great shape) and took it home for a little over an hour's ride...standing up. I had 2 ratchet tie downs on it and it didn't move an inch the whole way...winding roads, 65 MPH highway, speed bumps, oh, and yes, onramps. Glad I didn't see this thread BEFORE my purchase, or I would have driven 10 MPH all the way home.

PS ALWAYS carry tie downs with you! You never know what equipment you are going to buy...;)