PDA

View Full Version : Back from Charley Clean Up

Don Abele
08-28-2004, 4:31 PM
I just got back from 2 weeks in Florida helping the clean-up process after Charley ripped through there on the 13th. I headed up a group of Sailors from the USS FLORIDA (a submarine in Norfolk, VA). Since Florida is our namesake we thought it only fitting we go down there and help. We drove 15 hours down to Punta Gorda, in Charlotte County. This was one of the worst hit towns. We worked primarily getting water and ice to the residents averaging 10 hours a day in 100+ heat. Here's just a couple of shots of the local area we were in. After seeing this, I am truly thankful that when Isabel hit the Hampton Roads area here last year it was nothing like Charley. They are going to be recovering from this for a long time.

Dennis Peacock
08-28-2004, 4:44 PM
Welcome back.!!! But most of all....Thank You for helping those in times of need. It really means a lot for people to have people helping when they need it most.

David Wilson
08-28-2004, 4:53 PM
Welcome back and well done from an old ET

Ken Fitzgerald
08-28-2004, 5:30 PM
:D Doc.....once again our military comes through! Why am I not surprised? Thanks! :D

Boyd Gathwright
08-28-2004, 10:47 PM
Thanks. And thanks for sharing.

Boyd :)

I just got back from 2 weeks in Florida helping the clean-up process after Charley ripped through there on the 13th. I headed up a group of Sailors from the USS FLORIDA (a submarine in Norfolk, VA). Since Florida is our namesake we thought it only fitting we go down there and help. We drove 15 hours down to Punta Gorda, in Charlotte County. This was one of the worst hit towns. We worked primarily getting water and ice to the residents averaging 10 hours a day in 100+ heat. Here's just a couple of shots of the local area we were in. After seeing this, I am truly thankful that when Isabel hit the Hampton Roads area here last year it was nothing like Charley. They are going to be recovering from this for a long time.