PDA

View Full Version : Leather engraving

Bob Kline
07-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Lasering a dark image on light leather is no problem but has anyone figured a way to laser a light image on dark leather i.e color fill, die, masking, etc? Or is this an invention needing to happen?
Bob

Tim Bateson
07-02-2009, 11:56 AM
Bob, if you do a Google search I, I recall last year one of our members displayed some pictures of some very nice leather work she color filled.

Update.... I tried a Google Search & could not find it, but I know it's here some where. grrrr Does anyone remember that thread? It was I believe a Western theme notebook or something like that?

Dave Johnson29
07-02-2009, 11:58 AM
has anyone figured a way to laser a light image on dark leather

Hi Bob,

You could try masking tape, burning it, paint fill then remove the masking tape. Never tried it though. :)

Steven Wallace
07-02-2009, 12:14 PM
It also depends on who the leather was finished, dyed. Most commercially dyed black leather is done with a salt process so it is a through and through dye. No chance that you will change the color there. However, I did engrave a monogram on a leather portfolio and the difference in textures gave a nice finish and look. I am guessing that if you finished, dyed the leather yourself, you could then laser off the surface such that you could get it back to a lighter shade. Again, I have not tried this so I am just supposing this idea might work.

Dmitriy Kumets
07-02-2009, 1:37 PM
Are you trying to engrave a raster photo or a vector image?

For vector images, I've used thick armor/saddle leather and hit it with 5% speed/100% power to go about halfway through the material. After that some were color filled, others airbrushed by hand.

Bill Cunningham
07-02-2009, 9:38 PM
It also depends on who the leather was finished, dyed. Most commercially dyed black leather is done with a salt process so it is a through and through dye. No chance that you will change the color there. However, I did engrave a monogram on a leather portfolio and the difference in textures gave a nice finish and look. I am guessing that if you finished, dyed the leather yourself, you could then laser off the surface such that you could get it back to a lighter shade. Again, I have not tried this so I am just supposing this idea might work.

I've had black leather wallets turn everything from gray (normal color for black) to bright white (that was weird) and every off white/gray shade between, but have never had 'black' leather engrave black or even dark, yet..