PDA

View Full Version : unisaw headache

Jose Soberal
07-02-2009, 7:43 AM
I inherited a older but still in good shape cabinet saw. The problem is it came with a 3 phase motor which I can't run in my garage; I have looked; unsucessfully for a local place to get a motor I can use but with no luck. If anyone knows where I can get a motor that I can use at 110 voltage I would be very happy. Thanks:confused:

Jason White
07-02-2009, 7:55 AM
Check Grizzly. They sell a bunch to fit all different kinds of machines. Prices are likely better than elsewhere.

Jason

I inherited a older but still in good shape cabinet saw. The problem is it came with a 3 phase motor which I can't run in my garage; I have looked; unsucessfully for a local place to get a motor I can use but with no luck. If anyone knows where I can get a motor that I can use at 110 voltage I would be very happy. Thanks:confused:

Chris Rosenberger
07-02-2009, 8:09 AM
I have purchased motors from the Electric Motor Site on Ebay.
I have gotten very good service from them & they have good prices.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Leeson-2-HP-Delta-UNISAW-Motor-3450-RPM-115-230V_W0QQitemZ270381376485QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item3ef3fc63e5&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C 293%3A1%7C294%3A50

They also have a website.

http://www.electricmotorsite.com/pc/sglwood_unisaw/120997

http://www.electricmotorsite.com/pc/sglwood_unisaw/120925

Fred Hargis
07-02-2009, 8:12 AM
You might also comsider a converter of some type. Depending on how large the Uni's motor is, you might be able to use a VFD, though the 3 HP up motors are probably better off with a RPC. There is a fair amount of discussion of both over at OWWM and other forums. Google either one....isf a VFD will work you might get it set up for less than a motor.

george wilson
07-02-2009, 10:45 AM
A static converter might work,but will yield only 2 h.p.. Look up American rotary phase converters. IIRC,someone I know got one pretty cheap compared to others.

Edit: their 3 hp rotary is $427.00,which is inexpensive. You might also look into VFD converters,and can get one cheaper than that,although you probably don't need variable speed. They have gotten cheaper lately,and may be better than changing your motor. VFD= variable frequency drive. Many use them on 3 phase lathes. You have to shield them or they mess up radio reception when running ( table saw noise messes it up too!)

Paul Atkins
07-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Do you have 220 v in the garage or close by? I'm not sure you can get a converter for 110 to three phase.

Matt Armstrong
07-02-2009, 1:11 PM
If you've got 220, I've got an extra 3hp single phase motor for the unisaws that I bought and never used (was able to fix my broken motor). We can probably work out a deal...

Bruce Wrenn
07-02-2009, 9:44 PM
I inherited a older but still in good shape cabinet saw. The problem is it came with a 3 phase motor which I can't run in my garage; I have looked; unsucessfully for a local place to get a motor I can use but with no luck. If anyone knows where I can get a motor that I can use at 110 voltage I would be very happy. Thanks:confused:Delta used to make Unis' that ran on $110. (Model 34-671) Price a motor from Delta, and then figure out how to get 220 in the shop. Buy an "over the counter motor" that runs on 220, to fit your saw. If that doesn't work, some one who "knows what they are doing" can cut brackets off old motor, and weld them to another motor (TEFC of course) We did that once for a brake lathe. Original manufacturer wanted $1200 for a 1.0 HP, 1725 RPM, Nema 56 motor. It had "special mounting brackets" welded to the case. Now our junk yard motor has those special brackets, and we still have $1195 + tax and shipping of our money. Took less than 30 minutes.

Myk Rian
07-02-2009, 9:52 PM
Where are you?
That would certainly help.