PDA

View Full Version : Jet Mini Lathe Stand????

Stan Smith
03-21-2003, 3:50 PM
I'm getting close to buying my Jet mini lathe. I noticed that there is a stand for it on Amazon. There was only one review of the stand though. I like the concept and the design of the stand. I like to get close in to the work so that I can turn my body for better control (Hey, I need all the help I can get). I had my full-size lathe on the stock stand rather than a workbench top again so that I could get in close. I guess one concern that I have is vibration if the stand is not weighted down ( I used sand). Oh yeah, I still got vibration when the stock was out of round, you betcha. Anyway, does anyone have any experience with these stands or know of someone who does? I'm asking because the cost is $139. Thanks for your input.

Stan

Richard Allen
03-21-2003, 4:46 PM
Hi Stan

The stand is a good addition to that lathe. You can even get an extension for it if you chose to add a bed extention to the lathe.

The stand is stable with a good sized footprint. If you were working on something that chalenged the stablity of the lathe you could put a bag or tow or 4 of sand on the legs. For a momentary weight you can step on the leg of the stand. Also there is a bar between the uprights that you could hang or drape weight from.

$139 seams a bit high to me

http://www.southern-tool.com/store/jet_mini_lathe.html has it for $123 with free shipping which also seams high.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=092-0300 has it at $120 but you will pay shipping

There are other places you can get the stand.

Thanks

Stan Smith
03-21-2003, 7:37 PM
I value your opinion and appreciate your including other sources. I had thought about putting sand bags on the legs if I needed to. The guy who rated it on amazon.com said he "rolls" his out of the way. I thought that might decrease the stablilty to have wheels on the base legs. On my current lathe, I built my own mobile base for it based on an article in ShopNotes. Basically it's a plywood box with wheels that are engaged when the base is tilted up a little with a fulcurm on wheels. I used 2x6's for the frame and filled it in with about 210lbs of sand, then covered it with plywood. It works great and the sand helps a lot with vibration. I also made the same type of mobile base for my DP and BS. The cost isn't very much and even less if you have the scrap wood laying around. I can send some pics if anyone is interested.

Bob Reilly
03-21-2003, 8:04 PM
I was at the woodworking show today in Tampa and saw the stand with the mini on it, and it was pretty stable and had very little vibration when running,so a couple of sand bags would all but eliminate the little there was IMHO.

Scott Greaves
03-21-2003, 8:19 PM
Hi Stan,

I agree with Richard.

I currently have my Jet Mini on a cabinet, and it is nice to be able to stack junk, like glue, sandpaper and tools, around the lathe. But a small stand next to the lathe would accomplish that purpose just as well.

I have been considering this stand myself lately, because I'm going to be taking my Jet Mini to Provo to do some demonstrations in May. I was at Craft Supplies USA (The Woodturners Catalog) yesterday, and they had one of these set up in their showroom. I checked it out carefully, and it was very solid. I am impressed, and will probably be getting one soon. If you find an exceptional price, please let me know!

Scott.

Ron McNeil
03-21-2003, 8:36 PM
Stan, I purchased my Jet Mini Lathe stand from Woodcraft for 119.99 and I have been really pleased with it. Amazon.com charges more because they have free shipping. They have to get their money back somehow.

Jon Blacker
03-21-2003, 9:19 PM
Does anyone know if this Jet stand will accept the Delt Midi lathe? I very much like the look of this stand, but I have the Delta & don't know if it'll fit.

Richard Allen
03-22-2003, 7:59 AM
Hi Jon

The stand is made for the Jet footprint. The delta footprint is different.

Thanks

Stan Smith
03-22-2003, 12:51 PM
I'll be getting the stand,but I don't know where yet. The auction of my Jet 1236 is up in a week so when I get some more $$, I'll make the order. I did notice that amazon can ship the lathe in 2-3 days but it takes 2 weeks for the stand to ship. Seems strange to me. I've actually found that it is better to call ToolCrib direct and order by phone. I've noticed that orders are processed a bit faster that way. FWIW