PDA

View Full Version : Citrus vs Holly

Norm Zax
07-02-2009, 2:39 AM
Walking through the neighborhood I found out someone with odd priorities had just chopped off 3 citrus trees from his garden, probably all lemon, I carried away a 4 foot trunk going from 2.5 to 3.5 inches (yes, Im this close to being chucked out of my house). Both ends currently sealed with saran wrap (my to-go method). The wood is stark white but I have been told its more like cardboard and bad for any WW or WT. Has anyone had any experience with citrus turning? Can it replace holly for finials, for example?
A great weekend to all,
Norm

Thom Sturgill
07-02-2009, 9:28 AM
I haven't turned much yet, but around here (Florida) it is turned quite a bit. The problem is that a fungus attacks it and it turns a muddy brown. Most people seem to turn it green as quickly as possible and get it sealed to stop that. It will move on your after turning, but has a pleasing pale yellow color unless the fungus gets to it.

I don't think it would work in place of holly, not quite white enough.

Christopher Fletcher
07-02-2009, 11:34 AM
Walking through the neighborhood I found out someone with odd priorities had just chopped off 3 citrus trees from his garden, probably all lemon, I carried away a 4 foot trunk going from 2.5 to 3.5 inches (yes, Im this close to being chucked out of my house). Both ends currently sealed with saran wrap (my to-go method). The wood is stark white but I have been told its more like cardboard and bad for any WW or WT. Has anyone had any experience with citrus turning? Can it replace holly for finials, for example?
A great weekend to all,
Norm

I cut down 3 orange trees last year. Most of the logs are still green and turn very nicely. I can get a nice clean surface when a shear scrape is applied. It is a very dense wood and has a yellow to yellow-orange coloring. I would keep it whole as long as you can, but don't expect to make any NE's with bark.

Christopher