PDA

View Full Version : No safety brake on bad saw? How come?

Art Bianconi
07-01-2009, 10:29 PM
I've a new Grizzly 17 inch band saw. I love it! However, I found it a bit disconcerting to watch the blade continue to run through the guides for about seven seconds after cutting the power.

I've no doubt whatsoever that it is the inertia of a huge armature on that 2 hp motor that causes it to continue after shut off.

The blade on my De Walt radial has an auto brake that stops it almost immediately so I know such devices are possible.

Does anyone know of a method for retrofitting an auto brake feature on the motor armature?

Thanks

Art

Thad McCulloch
07-01-2009, 10:34 PM
Before you bought, you did notice that they make models with foot brakes as well as electronic motor braking, right?

Bruce Page
07-01-2009, 10:47 PM
My BS has a foot brake but I rarely ever use it. I’m the only one working in the shop and I figure a coast to stop is easier on the bearings. I guess it just doesn’t bother me that it’ll take 10 or 15 seconds to coast to a stop.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-01-2009, 10:50 PM
My bandsaw has a foot brake on it. Sometimes I use it; sometimes I don't. It depends on what I'm cutting and where my hands are at the end of the cut.

I was unaware that you could buy b/s with electronic brakes.

Peter Quinn
07-01-2009, 11:02 PM
The blade on my De Walt radial has an auto brake that stops it almost immediately so I know such devices are possible.
Art

Really? The blade on my DeWalt RAS continues to spin for 3min 45seconds after i shut it off. Must be pre-braking?

My slot mortiser has a breaking motor, shut it off and it stops dead in a blink. A new panel saw at work stops a full dado stack before I can count to two. I didn't know they had a BS with that capability.

Bob Genovesi
07-02-2009, 8:34 AM
Neither my 14" Jet or 18" Jet bandsaw's have brakes and I don't see it as a major detraction. For that matter my tablesaw doesn't either...

Scott Loven
07-02-2009, 8:42 AM
Really? The blade on my DeWalt RAS continues to spin for 3min 45seconds after i shut it off. Must be pre-braking?

My slot mortiser has a breaking motor, shut it off and it stops dead in a blink. A new panel saw at work stops a full dado stack before I can count to two. I didn't know they had a BS with that capability.
I have a Dewalt RAS with a break that doesn't work. I was thinking I could add a disk brake from a bicycle if it bothered me. I could not find replacement parts anywhere.
Scott

Rod Sheridan
07-02-2009, 9:02 AM
Hi Art, my band saw runs for a long time during coast down, it certainly wouldn't meet the EU safety requirements.

If I purchased a new band saw, I would get one with a mechanical or electric brake.

I have to admit however that I haven't needed such a device in an emergency situation yet.

Regards, Rod.

george wilson
07-02-2009, 10:37 AM
I fail to see the problem. My old 14" Delta takes longer than that to stop.

Mike OMelia
07-02-2009, 11:23 AM
You can always keep a block of scrap wood nearby to slow the blade. Grizzly offers models with and without the foot brake.

Pete Bradley
07-02-2009, 1:24 PM
A real brake is a nice feature since you can stop the band quicker to make a change, etc. Grizzly's brake found on models like the Ultimate 17" is designed to be used "only in emergency situations", which is only marginally useful.

7 seconds isn't a long spin down time though. Gotta be careful of it, but not too annoying.

Mike OMelia
07-02-2009, 2:25 PM
Really? Only for emergencies? I am pretty sure they do not mention that in their catalog. That would appear to be a bit misleading on their part. I was in fact leaning towards the 17 Ultimate because of the brake (I have since bought a different saw).

Thanks for filling us in.

Mike

Pete Bradley
07-02-2009, 2:58 PM
Yeah, it's right in the manual:
http://grizzly.com/images/manuals/g0636x_m.pdf#page=31

If the rest of the works are as cheesy as the pedal, you can see why they don't want you to use it often.

Mine (old iron) has a pedal next to the floor that you can step on from the front or side of the machine with your heel on the floor. If you have a choice, that's really how you want it.

Pete

Robert Strebler
07-02-2009, 3:00 PM
My G0513x2 spins for a lot longer than that. It's never been a problem for me.

Although a brake sounds like a nice feature, it's not something that I've missed or needed.

Frank Drew
07-02-2009, 3:08 PM
I've no doubt whatsoever that it is the inertia of a huge armature on that 2 hp motor that causes it to continue after shut off.

Not the inertia of the cast iron wheels?

Anyway, I'm in the so what? camp. You're done with the saw, turn it off and walk away, right? Table saw, jointer, planer, band saw... I've never owned any with auto brakes.

glenn bradley
07-02-2009, 3:28 PM
I was OK not spending $200 extra to get the brake. In a hobbyist shop I have no problems with it (or without it as the case may be).

Cary Falk
07-02-2009, 3:47 PM
I debated about the foot brake when I bought my G0513x2. The gadget side of me thought it would bee cool and useful. The cheep side of me won out. I don't feel like I am missing out. I shut it off and walk away. If I need it to stop I push a block against the side of the blade.

Phil Phelps
07-02-2009, 4:06 PM
You can always keep a block of scrap wood nearby to slow the blade. Grizzly offers models with and without the foot brake.

We have a bingo.

curtis rosche
07-02-2009, 4:06 PM
youd ont need a brake unless you are going to forget that the blade is running, right? i can see needing one on a table saw cause you cant really cover the blade. but a bandsaw you would just put the gaurd down and walk away, aslong as its not still running the next time you go to put the gaurd up.

Dave Lehnert
07-02-2009, 10:42 PM
I've a new Grizzly 17 inch band saw. I love it! However, I found it a bit disconcerting to watch the blade continue to run through the guides for about seven seconds after cutting the power.

Does anyone know of a method for retrofitting an auto brake feature on the motor armature?

Thanks

Art

So if you wanted a 17" saw with a break why not order that model???

http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-2-HP-Extreme-Series-Bandsaw-w-Cast-Iron-Trunnion-Brake-/G0513X2B

Myk Rian
07-02-2009, 10:49 PM
7 seconds? That's quick.

Cody Colston
07-02-2009, 11:00 PM
7 seconds? That's quick.

Yes it is. My GO513 takes a lot longer than that to stop and it doesn't have cast iron wheels.

As far as having a band saw brake, I'm in the "So What?" camp and also in the "why didn't you buy one with a brake" to begin with camp.

Personally, I've never needed or wanted a brake on my band saw.

Kelly C. Hanna
07-02-2009, 11:21 PM
Yes it is. My GO513 takes a lot longer than that to stop and it doesn't have cast iron wheels.

As far as having a band saw brake, I'm in the "So What?" camp and also in the "why didn't you buy one with a brake" to begin with camp.

Personally, I've never needed or wanted a brake on my band saw.

I have to agree...seems kinda funny just thinkin' about it on a big saw. It's handy on a miter saw or a circ saw, but a BS? Why?

John Thompson
07-02-2009, 11:22 PM
My 18" will spin for 15-20 seconds if you let it. If I'm not done and move away from the machine temporarily.. I just let it spin. If I am done for the moment I touch the foot brake pedal and stop it so I can de-tension and move on to something else.

If you don't have a brake... just remember it's going to spin down and be sure it has stopped before you get your hands near if if that is necessary. Life is simple.. :)

Chip Lindley
07-03-2009, 12:35 AM
None of my machines *spin down* but for a few seconds--save the BIG OL' Rockwell 18" RAS!!! That Booger would (and did) run forever! Other machines have braking drag from belts and the pulley ratio. But, a RAS blade acts as a flywheel to keep the spindle (aka stator shaft) spinning on it's bearings for a long long time! A Short Stop electronic brake stops it in about 2 SECONDS! Probably same on your big DeWalt RAS! My Short Stop was an eBay bargain! But, prepare for *sticker shock* if you buy New!

Fred Belknap
07-03-2009, 8:42 AM
My 16" Grizzly bandsaw seemed to run half way to town when I turn it off. I made a simple brake, rubber pad on a handle that rubs against the motor pulley. It works but I don't use it very often.

Rod Sheridan
07-03-2009, 9:37 AM
i can see needing one on a table saw cause you cant really cover the blade.

Curtis, why can't you cover the blade on a table saw?

My guard covers the entire blade.

Regards, Rod.

glenn bradley
07-03-2009, 10:41 AM
7 seconds? That's quick.

I think he was just tossing out a figure for an example. My G0513X runs-on for quite awhile. I think it's a toss up between it and the cyclone for longest "after-run" (I just made that term up :D).

Art Bianconi
07-03-2009, 5:14 PM
I have a Dewalt RAS with a break that doesn't work. I was thinking I could add a disk brake from a bicycle if it bothered me. I could not find replacement parts anywhere.
Scott

Scott the brake on my DeWalt was erratic so I opened up the back of the motor. When I removed the last screw, a half a cup full of dead ant colony fell out on to the table! (The shop had been stored in a shed outdoors for about 6 months). Some compressed air blew about another half cup of dead ants out. After reassembly, it's worked perfectly ever since.

Art

Art Bianconi
07-03-2009, 6:53 PM
So if you wanted a 17" saw with a break why not order that model???

Simple! I didn't know I needed one.

My experience with band saws has been limited these many years to two models: a 12" piece of junk I bought from Sears 25 years ago before I knew better and an industrial strength DoAll. Neither of them continued running when shut down.

The other factor was the available budget and perceived value. Since I got mine I find they have models with three phase motors. I'll get back to that later in this response.

I posted a similar inquiry at an engineering site I frequent and got some very nice suggestions.

The simplest and least elegant was to shunt two of the power wires after the power is turned off. This harnesses an AC motor's natural ability to convert to a generator and employs Dynamic Braking to bring it to a halt almost immediately. A different switch is all that is needed; perhaps a $5 investment plus time to install it.

The most elegant solution was to purchase a solid state phase inverter. I have lots of experience with these fantastic devices having purchased several for use on everything from my big vacuum pump to my milling machines.

My shop is limited to 220VAC single phase and all my heavy equipment needs 220 VAC three phase to work. Not only do my phase inverters power them but they offer several other features: soft start and soft stop minimize shock to the power trains and is especially important on my mirror polishing bench (see photo). Torque compensation is another valued feature at slow speeds. Lastly, they vary the cycles per second and the speed of the motor can be made faster or slower by simply dialing in something over or under the standard 60 CPS. This is an especially valuable feature when overboosting my 220 - 3 phase Oliver jointer.

That last feature, combined with the adjustable soft stop ability, will really make an improvement to the saw provided they are available with 220VAC single phase input and output as was suggested.

It's the holiday weekend as I post this, so I must wait until Monday to investigate. I'll call my phase inverter distributor and post the results later.

Art