PDA

View Full Version : who has the best price on a Vicmarc vm100

Joe Meirhaeghe
07-01-2009, 9:38 PM
I think I'd like to buy a new Vicmarc VM 100. Anybody know who might have the best price & service ?

Jim Underwood
07-02-2009, 6:47 AM
You might try woodworkers emporium. They barely have a website, but their contact info is on it.

Dan Forman
07-02-2009, 4:42 PM
Probably CSUSA: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Chucks___Vicmarc___Vicmarc_3_1_2__Chuck___vicmarc_ 35?Args=

Their price includes the spindle adapter, and their service is great. Vicmarc is not a widely carried brand, so not a lot of options for places to buy. Packard carries them, but they are about $10 more by the time you add the adapter, which is not extra from CSUSA.

Dan

Bernie Weishapl
07-02-2009, 9:40 PM
I bought mine and 3 sets of jaws from CSUSA. Great service and a good product. Joe one other thing is that the Grizzly chuck for $99 is a clone of the VM 100. I have 3 of them because I am to lazy to change jaws. All the Vic jaws fit this chuck. Just a idea and don't get me wrong I do like my Vic but I bought the 3 for $81 more than one Vic.

Dan Forman
07-03-2009, 2:03 AM
Bernie---Notice any difference between the clones and the Vic? Do they run as true?

Dan

Steve Harder
07-03-2009, 9:18 AM
I don't own a Vicmarc so I can't make a direct comparison - but my Grizzly has certainly performed well for me.

I was going to pass along a link to a great article on doing a tuneup on the Grizzly to clean up small manufacturing oversights - just disassembly and some careful filing to get rid of some rough spots.

But that link is broken.

I think I have a printout of the article and I'd scan and send it to you if you're really interested, just let me know ...

Joe Meirhaeghe
07-03-2009, 9:44 AM
I don't own a Vicmarc so I can't make a direct comparison - but my Grizzly has certainly performed well for me.

I was going to pass along a link to a great article on doing a tuneup on the Grizzly to clean up small manufacturing oversights - just disassembly and some careful filing to get rid of some rough spots.

But that link is broken.

I think I have a printout of the article and I'd scan and send it to you if you're really interested, just let me know ...
Steve
Thanks, That would be great if you could send it to me.
Ihave considered the Grizzley chuck. But I'm not completly sold on it yet.
Our Turning club has 3 grizzley chucks that are about 3 yrs. old and has had a few problems with them.

Bill Bolen
07-03-2009, 2:04 PM
A friend of mine has a vic 100 and I have a few grizz clones.When we put them side by side there is no difference other than no vic name. When we mounted to the his lathe they ran identically true. The feel of the gears working open to close is the same. Conclusion for me is same chuck made in same factory. One has a Plymouth name plate the other has a Dodge name plate on the same chuck...Bill..