PDA

View Full Version : Toroid With Knots

Richard Madison
07-01-2009, 9:25 PM
Wanted to make another toroid, but without having to cut 1,000 little pieces and keep track of the alignment. So this is really just a segmented ring with a knot in each segment. Not sure about making a stand or a base, so is on temporary(?) cardboard stand for now. Osage orange and mesquite, about 8" O.D. and 1" minor dia. w/ lacquer finish, not buffed yet. Was expecting the mesquite to go a little darker for a bit more contrast. Should have used walnut. Oh well. Comments and critiques are welcome.

Bernie Weishapl
07-01-2009, 9:52 PM
Only comment I can make is that is a beauty. Well done.

Jeff Nicol
07-01-2009, 11:04 PM
Richard, I have the utmost respect for you and all the other segmented turners out there! This one is just plain cool! The knots relate to my heritage and the circle means everything in life! I think the osage will darken over time also so there will be changes that you will embrace when the show themselves.

Another beauty!

Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
07-01-2009, 11:07 PM
Richard - beautiful work once again! Great design!

Mike Golka
07-02-2009, 8:18 AM
Very nice indeed!!

Chris Stolicky
07-02-2009, 8:55 AM
Wow, good job.

This segmentation stuff continues to blow my mind.

Chris Rae
07-02-2009, 11:12 AM
Very, very Cool!! Beautiful work!

Dennis Ford
07-02-2009, 12:58 PM
WOW The workmanship is amazing. I rarely do any segmenting (have never done anything this complicated) but used Osage and Mesquite together once and after a few years, the two are about the same color. I hope the contrast stays good in yours.

Steve Mawson
07-02-2009, 2:32 PM
That one is just great. Really nice design.

Bob Hallowell
07-02-2009, 3:44 PM
Very nice, I think you could turn a stand with maybe a ball on top with wood or copper limbs holding the torid at an angle. the stand it's self could be a work of art on add to the peice.

Bob

Richard Madison
07-02-2009, 11:20 PM
Thanks to everyone for your kind comments. I appreciate your support.

Dennis, expect the O.O. will indeed darken eventually, but should be ok for a few years if kept out of the sun. Have a couple pieces about 2 years old that are still bright yaller.

Bob, not sure if I could make a stand that was a "work of art", but I like the idea of a copper wire stand and maybe will give that a try. A coat of lacquer would keep it bright for a long time.

Thanks again y'all.

Phil Labowski
07-03-2009, 1:33 AM
I've decided Richard has that cat as his avatar because he's pulled the hair out of the sides of head and is shy:)
I agree with Chris, this stuff just blows my mind!

Richard Madison
07-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Thanks Phil. I do still have most of my hair, but Christine Cat is better looking. Here's another one of my little friends (if I can find him).