PDA

View Full Version : SawStop: Industrial vs Professional

Mike OMelia
07-01-2009, 5:23 PM
I am not in the market now... but staying on top of the information is something I like to do. So SawStop is introducing the Professional Cabinet Saw. This one seems to weigh in at about $3K. The Industrial weighs in at about $3.5K (depending on motor choice). Do I have this correct?

I guess, if that is indeed true, it seems an odd strategy to introduce a new model costing slightly less than the flagship. In fact, I was kind of hoping they would head towards the Hybrid market.

Thoughts?

Mike

Chris Gombola
07-01-2009, 5:42 PM
Depending on motor choice, fence, and mobile base, the industrial comes in more like 4k-4.5k with delivery charges (to the dealer, not your house).

Mike Heidrick
07-01-2009, 6:00 PM
Fully loaded industrial 5hp sawstop in 2006 was $4393 with shipping and tax both added ($600 for those too).

$2799 (this is higher now
$200 5hp motor option - now $300
$89 dado cart
$69 extra reg cart
$29 dado insert
$29 extra reg insert
$479 50" fence
$99 table
$325 shipping to Woodcraft - Grrrr
$275 tax
------------------
$4393

Kyle Iwamoto
07-01-2009, 6:05 PM
I think the industrial is still over 4K after you add the fence and wings. The mobile base is also extra. IMO the industrial is more than the regular homeowner/hobby/DIY'er would ever need. The PCS should fit right in. Little smaller, less weight. Buy a grand worth of wood.
Why would you want a hybrid? If you want less power, (less money) the contractors saw is out. If you're going to pay for the brake, may as well cough up the relatively few extra dollars and get the 3 horses. Or buy the contractors.

Frank Trinkle
07-01-2009, 6:11 PM
The PCS INCLUDES the wings, fence and rails. The ICS does not in the base price. That's one major difference.

The PCS is a 220V, single phase running a 3HP motor.

The ICS has options for a 3,5 or 7 HP motor and it gets very very expensive as you go up.

The contractor saw has a 1.5HP motor.

Hope this helps... I am VERY VERY happy with my PCS!!!

Mike OMelia
07-01-2009, 7:27 PM
Thanks, I figured I had the ICS priced wrong. The PCS is very nice indeed! I did not know it came with the wings, etc. Maybe after I get some projects out the door, I will be able to justify one. I just noticed that the PCS is a 27" table wich is just right for my space.

Mike

John Thompson
07-01-2009, 8:04 PM
If you are not an eveyday hobbyist or commercial user the Pro with the 3 HP should be all you need from my view of the world..

Good luck...

Paul Ryan
07-01-2009, 10:14 PM
In Jan. I priced a ICS saw. It went like this, ICS 3hp with short fence (36") including, extension table, spare cartridge, dado cart., spare throat plate, shipping, MN sales tax, and mobile base. Grand total just a few bucks under $4800. The PCS saw with all of the bells and wistles I mentioned above should run in the $3500 range. I am very happy with my PCS saw.

Dave Sharpe
07-01-2009, 10:55 PM
About two months ago I struggled with these decidions - hybrid vs cabinet vs Sawstop vs affordable vs safety vs vs vs vs .....

I finally decided that since I'd been doing good work with a Sears contractors saw on a shop=built stand/bench combo, that a reasonable compromise would be the Sawstop contractors saw. I got rid of the Sawstop stand and mounted the saw on my bench (which required rebuilding the benchtop of several layers of MDF.) this gave me a right-side table that extends 8'. I also installed a 3' outfeed table, and spent some money on the long rails and the cast-iron wings. The only aspect of this that I'm not happy with is the right-side table that came with the long rails - It's a nice, shiny black surface - which means it collects dust and scratches like nobody's business.

For my one-man home hobby shop, the contractors saw offers plenty of power. I haven't felt the saw bog down a bit, even when ripping through some fairly thick maple (i think it was 2 or 3"). I'd love to have a hybrid or cabinet saw, but just can't justify spending the extra money.

For what it's worth - I'm an ER nurse and I see a fair number of shop accidents. I had a guy come in the other day after suffering a bad cut on his tablesaw, and all the other nurses I work with were telling him about the advantages of Sawstop! I didn't have to say a word! I guess all that downtime i spent researching tablesaws and showing everybody the hot-dog video really made an impression!

Dave

Mike OMelia
07-02-2009, 10:32 AM
So for the PCS, the options apear to be table size (fence system), dado brake, and mobility options? Anybody have the prices on these options?

Mike