PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening Gauge Wheels

Greg Crawford
07-01-2009, 9:08 AM
I have an old Stanley 98 marking gauge with wheels on one end and pins on the other. The wheels are very dull, but sharpening may be a trick. On my Veritas gauge, the wheel is flat on one side, making it easy to just rub it on a stone to sharpen. The Stanley wheels are beveled on both sides. Are there any tricks to make sharpening these easier and more accurate?

Thanks,

Greg

Pedro Reyes
07-01-2009, 10:47 AM
I've never done this, but this was my first thought if I had that situation. Could you get a really small screw and nut, hold the wheel between the head and the nut, chuck this in a variable speed drill, and just touch up with a diamond file?

That's how I think I would try if I had to.

/p

Greg Crawford
07-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Hadn't thought of that, Pedro. I was thinking about screwing it to the end of a dowel and spinning the dowel by hand with the wheel against a stone, but you're idea really refines on that.

Thanks!

Dave Anderson NH
07-01-2009, 12:48 PM
Chuck up the shaft with the wheel still on it in a drillpress and use a hand stone or a diamond hone. It should be sharp in under 20 seconds after the power goes on.

Greg Crawford
07-01-2009, 1:20 PM
Dave,

The wheel spins on it's shaft. If I put a leather or rubber washer on the screw, do think that would work without screwing anything up? That's why I was thinking of a dowel. The shaft is also about 6" long, and I don't want to bend it.

Greg

Dave Anderson NH
07-01-2009, 2:21 PM
I wouldn't worry about bending the shaft . You only need really light pressure to hone. You will be barely touching the wheels edge. Too much pressure on that thin a wheel runs the risk of bending over the burr left by sharpening. Follow your stone, diamond hone, sandpaper, or whatever you use with a scrap of leather as a strop to remove any burr.

george wilson
07-01-2009, 5:56 PM
If the wheel spins on its shaft,just make sure it is free to spin,and present its edge at the correct angle to a fine grinding wheel,like a Tormek or Jet wet grinder. The wheel should contact the grinding wheel at about a 4:00 position on the wheel you are trying to sharpen. The little cutter wheel should be presented to the grinder at the same bevel angle that it already has. Just a very short touch will sharpen the cutter. Do the grinding in very short bursts,and check the edge for sharpness,lest you grind too much away. I hope this is a clear explanation. If you have experience doing this sort of thing it is nothing,and works like a charm.

You MUST present the little cutting wheel so that it contacts the grinding wheel in such a way that the grinding wheel sets it spinning,as well as grinding,hence the 4:00 position on the cutting wheel. If you are afraid to try this,find a "Safer" way (to you) of doing it. You would not want to accidentally grind a flat spot on your little cutter,which WILL happen if you present the cutter at its 6:00 position,or its 12:00 position.

An edge sharper than a fine wet wheel will give is not needed for the cutter to readily roll a line into the wood being scribed.

Greg Crawford
07-01-2009, 8:44 PM
George,

I think you explained it just fine. I think what I'll do is find a washer to practice with first, and if I feel comfortable, get after it.

Thanks

george wilson
07-01-2009, 9:39 PM
Good idea,but make sure the washer is supported on its mount so that it cannot jam. I believe your scribing wheel would be properly supported for such an operation. It would be very easy to grind away too much,so do be careful.

Greg Crawford
07-02-2009, 3:04 PM
We have a Tormek at work I was going to try with George's idea, then kind of put all the ideas together and something came out sideways. I left the cutter on it's spindle, and took advantage of a flat on the cutting wheel where it mounts. I used a rubber band as a pulley on the flat, and drove it with my drill. I held the cutter against my diamond hones clamped in the vise. They're not razor sharp, but they will severe grain and leave a nice mark, or two if you want it to. I love that old 98!

Thanks for all the ideas. I'd take pictures, but it takes two hands to operate the rig. Maybe this will help someone else with an old Stanley marking gauge.

Greg