PDA

View Full Version : Seeking information on a B&S engine in a lawn tractor.

Jim O'Dell
06-30-2009, 10:24 PM
Specifically if anyone has any personal dealings with the Cub Cadet LTX 1046 VT or LTX 1050 VT lawn tractors. I'd love to have a JD, and I'd love to have a ZTR, but one of these will be pushing things as it is. I like the foot control for speed, but I don't know anything about the B&S Professional Grade engine. So for, Briggs has not answered my request for where it falls in their line up. I wouldn't question if it had the B&S Vanguard engine that so many mowers had a few years ago, but nothing in the sub 2K range seems to have these at this point. I know that Sears has a couple of mowers with the foot controls, but as far as I can tell, these are limited to B&S Intek engines. I haven't ruled out the Husquavarna models with the foot controls either. Just need to see if I can find all of these to look at.
So, anyone out there with one of these engines? Thanks! Jim.

Steve Rozmiarek
07-01-2009, 1:20 AM
Jim, you can probably throw this anecdotal advice out, but I have never had very good luck with any Briggs engine. Honda and Kohler always seem to hold up and work better for me. That being said, I'm not actually sure if I've used one of the series that you mentioned. I had a JD mower several back that might have. Didn't like it much I guess, bought a Honda that always starts. My Walker mower has a 22 hp Kohler, and my Toro Dingo has a 20 hp Kohler. Both of those engines have really impressed me.

Before you pay more for that green paint, make sure to objectively compare. You may be suprised at the results...

Paul Ryan
07-01-2009, 8:33 AM
Jim,

If it makes you feel any better about the craftsman lawn mowers, they are all made by husqvarna. As far as the briggs engines go they have all treated me well. I espically like the new motors because they are pressure lubed instead of the old splash and go type. I was always told to stay away from techumsh engines in the past. I inherited an Ariens tiller from my father in law last summer. It had a techumsh 7hp engine on it that was 22 years old. After a new set of points, a carb kit, and some cleaning it runs like a top yet. So it really comes down to how you maintain it. If you are going to buy it new, I wouldn't worry also long as you take care of equipment. I have a buddy that still mowes his lawn with a 33 year old craftsman push mower with a briggs engine on it. Starts after 3 pulls every spring.

Steve Southwood
07-01-2009, 8:53 AM
Not to make it worse, but this a Ford vs Chevy thing. I have always had good luck with Briggs and Techumsh. Bad with Kohler.

Steve Rozmiarek
07-01-2009, 9:42 AM
I think the old Briggs that you see every now and then, are actually pretty new engines that where unreliable enough that they didn't get used!:D

Seriously though, the ignition on a small engine makes all the difference on its relability. I quit buying anything Briggs powered several years ago, when I bought that JD mower I mentioned. The carb litterally fell off of it. Maybe Briggs has changed in the mean time, but Kohler, and Honda both use better quality ignition components, in my opinion.

Small engines get used to move materials a lot on a farm, and in the industries surounding farms. One of our suppliers for example, ships fertilizer in tank trailers, each of which have gas powered pumps to get the liquid into our machines. They have a fleet of several hundred trailers. Several years ago, Briggs and one of the pump manufacturers put together a combo, and sold it at a price that many of the fertilizer guys couldn't resist. Now fertilizer is not the easiest thing on components, it's corrosive, weighs close to 11 1/2 #'s per gallon, and can be about as thick as 5W motor oil. No motor/pump lasts more than 4 or 5 years on this job, but the Briggs nearly all disappeared about half way though the first year. They just quit running. Everything is Honda now. Great little engines.

I know a lawn mower is quit a lot easier on an engine, but....

Jim O'Dell
07-01-2009, 10:08 AM
If I had my choice, the engine would be a Kawasaki, no matter who's mower it was mounted on, but 3 grand for a ZTR is out of my realm of possibility, as are any of the JDs I'd be interested in. I just haven't seen this "Professional Grade" designation before, and it's not on the B&S site. The ELS was their top consumer motor, and the Vanguard (Japanese design and build) is their commercial grade unit. This new one may be an ELS with a different badging for Cub, I don't know.
Thanks for the insights! Jim.

Dave Lehnert
07-01-2009, 8:40 PM
Go to lawnsite (dot) com. Click on the repair forum. Some very good service tec's on there will give you all you need to know.

Be warned. Asking about a cub on there is like asking if a Harbor freight is a good Table Saw.

Cub is now owned by MTD. The maker of discount store brand mowers.

Jim O'Dell
07-01-2009, 9:54 PM
Yes Dave, I know. A lot like the AYP series of mowers. Do they feel the same way about Craftsman??:D:D:D
I had an email from B&S when I got home this evening. Didn't tell me where this engine falls in their line up, so I resent that part of the question. They did send a PDF brochure for the Professional Grade engines. It appears from the picture to basically be the ELS engine. The shroud is almost identical, except there is an added yellow button or decal on the shroud above the left bank. The one thing that might make it different is it does have a chrome plated exhaust valve. That may be the only difference. I can't find a brochure for the ELS online. You'd think B&S would have them on their website to download, but if it's there, I can't find it. Of course, my wife would pop up and say that that would be par for the course for me.:rolleyes: Just thought I'd pass along the info as I got it. I'm sure the next answer from B&S will be the max 3 days again, which probably means next Monday. Maybe I just need to go look at tractors!!! :cool: Jim.

Joe Mioux
07-01-2009, 11:06 PM
Hi Jim,

YOu are correct, Kawasaki engines work really well. I have that on my Scag.

and my dad has a JD that has a Kaw engine also.

From 1972-until 1985 we had a Cub Cadet 12hp (the good ones) with a Kohler. Kohlers are ok, but they have a tendency to back fire when shutting down.

From 1985 until 2004 we had an old Allis Chalmers with a 20 hp Onan engine - stay away from Onan engines, they are expensive to maintain, an air filter costs over $40.

I also owned a Cub Cadet ffrom 1995-until 2004 ( i forget the number) but it was a 12 or 14 hp Kohler engine. I was not happy with this rider at all. The transmission leaked, the stamped metal sheet metal tore at the bend from the seat to the seat back, steering go out of alignment, the front wheel frequently fell off, etc. Yea, these all could have been fixed, but they never should have occured in the first place.

We have several other pieces of equipment with B&S and TEcumseh engines. today's B&S's engines are not your father's or grandfathers old lawn mower engine. It starts easy and is supremely quiet in comparison to Kohlers and Kawasakis. Also B&S are easy to service and their parts don't cost like Onan's.

Tecumseh, is our weak engine. We just have an assortment of problems with those engines.

Kawasaki is my favorite followed by B&S and Kohler.

JD L&G tractors are nice, but I can't stand the safety switch for the blades. Everytime you go in reverse, the blades shut off.

Have you considered buying a used commercial zTR?

joe

Jim O'Dell
07-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Joe, I've briefly thought of a used unit, but knowing how some people maintain their equipment, I'm afraid I'd get something that was prematurely worn out, and no way to know.
One of the points on the new CC units I like is the heavy duty frame. Most mower frames are 11 to 13 gauge steel, the CC units are 9 gauge. Don't most of the transmissions come from the same few manufacturers? Kind of like the engines? Different brand could have the same trans and the same problems, especially in the same price range.
CC has thrown in a gadget item on their mow decks. 2 hook ups for water hose. Attach, turn water on, run blade for 2 minutes, change to the other side, repeat, then run 2 minutes with no water to dry everything out. Cleans the underside of the deck. Possible rust starter, but novel idea.
Thanks for the reply! Jim.

Brent Leonard
07-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Briggs Vanguard fan here. No experience with others, but alot of engines today are cheap asian made and I read on the lawn/tractor forums that there are only a very small few that get good grades from real world users.

I'm a Simplicity owner. If possible, check them out. They are very good machines. I bought a used one and even after 1000 hours, it's a great machine.

I also like Ingersolls, but do not own one,,,,,, yet (someday I hope!)

Jim O'Dell
07-02-2009, 7:58 PM
Wow! I got an answer in one day! :rolleyes:
Here is what they wrote:

"Thank you for your inquiry.

The professional series of engine is one step below the Vanguard engine. It has many of the same features but is only lacking on a couple. I hope this was able to answer your question."

I told him that's where I thought it was, but he now raised another question or two. what are these other differences, and is this based on the same Diahatsu design. Let's see if it's Monday before I hear again. :) Jim.

Joe Mioux
07-02-2009, 9:56 PM
One of the points on the new CC units I like is the heavy duty frame. Most mower frames are 11 to 13 gauge steel, the CC units are 9 gauge. Don't most of the transmissions come from the same few manufacturers? Kind of like the engines? Different brand could have the same trans and the same problems, especially in the same price range.

Yes, Cubs are made by MTD, or at least they were the last time I looked at them.

Yes, the frame is heavier than some others, CC comes with a Drive shaft rather than belts and the front axle is a Cast Iron I beam which are all desirable traits that has its lineage back to the old 1960's and 1970's models. Those were and are great machines!

phil harold
07-02-2009, 10:57 PM
Kohler has a new line of engines called 'Courage' be wary of them or wait a few years till they get the kinks worked out of them

They are available in all ayp products the Courage has cam gears are made out of plastic that have been breaking and a host of other problems. I think the engines are made in china

Steve Rozmiarek
07-03-2009, 2:05 AM
Kohler has a new line of engines called 'Courage' be wary of them or wait a few years till they get the kinks worked out of them

They are available in all ayp products the Courage has cam gears are made out of plastic that have been breaking and a host of other problems. I think the engines are made in china

"Courage", wonder what marketing genius came up with that name for a new untried engine!:eek:

Jim O'Dell
07-03-2009, 9:49 AM
Joe, at least the 1000 series that I'm looking at are belt drive. I think you have to get to the upper units to get the shaft drive. I know the garden tractor models have the shaft drive. But the series I'm looking at are definitely the belt drive variety.
Phil, Kohler has had some problems in the last couple years. I'm very leary of them right now. B&S had the air filter housing problems on the ELS, but appear to have that corrected now on the new ones. Jim.

Gary Click
07-03-2009, 2:19 PM
This is slightly off topic but I thought that I wanted a Zero Turn mower until I tried a Four Wheel Steer.

I ended up with a Deere X324 with a KAW engine. Drives like a car trims and edges like a hand mower. Can also be fitted with Power Shocels and things like that.