PDA

View Full Version : really curly endgrain maple with slight NE - critiques welcome

curtis rosche
06-30-2009, 6:25 PM
this bowl is endgrain maple. i had a slab of maple from a couple years ago about 2 inches thick. decided it was time to see what it looked like. today there a a couple worm hole in the center.

and some dummy forgot to sand the bottom after he turned off the tenon. i put finish on it. so i guess it will be ok as long as it doesnt get flipped over

Gary Max
06-30-2009, 6:32 PM
Looks great----you could glue it to a table---That would really slow them down:D:D

Mark Hix
06-30-2009, 6:33 PM
Ya know, you can sand things off the lathe:D. I like the bowl alot. I can picture it sitting on my table w/ fruit in it.

Richard Madison
06-30-2009, 6:37 PM
Looks pretty good Curtis. I would have been tempted to remove the NE on this particular piece of wood and settle for a smaller bowl. Might not be better though. Hard to tell just from pictures.

alex carey
06-30-2009, 7:20 PM
wow, love the curl on that one.

Steve Schlumpf
06-30-2009, 7:30 PM
Curtis - very pretty bowl! Love all the curl and your finish really brings it out! Don't know what you used for a finish but you can use some more of it and wet-sand the bottom of your bowl. A bowl this nice deserves that little extra attention!

Nice work! Good to see you turning again!

Marc Himes
06-30-2009, 7:45 PM
Curtis the curl is remarkable. I am not sure I hve seen a piece with such figure turned endgrain but that one is wonderful.

Nice work!

Marc Himes

curtis rosche
06-30-2009, 8:25 PM
this was a peice of wood that was the last peice of a tree getting cut off at groundlevel.
i used waterlox on this peice. i have tried the paste wax friction polishes, and i dont want to have to spend the time picking the wax out of worm holes. i also dont like the way the wax finishes look atfer a day of handling. and after convincing my stepdad to buy the gallon container, the only way i am going to get another finish is when this is gone.

i will go back and fix the bottom.

Bernie Weishapl
06-30-2009, 10:56 PM
Good looking pieces Curtis. I put a 2" sanding disc in the drill press and finish the bottom if I forget to sand. Works real well.

Jarrod McGehee
06-30-2009, 11:53 PM
That's frickin awesome stuff man. I like the curl on it and the ne.