PDA

View Full Version : Woodworker's Journal

Byron Trantham
08-27-2004, 10:13 PM
Anyone read this mag? Got a reasonable offer in the mail and taught about subscribing. :rolleyes:

Dennis Peacock
08-27-2004, 10:44 PM
I have subscribed to it before and dropped it after about a year. It's pretty good mag but I still keep going back to my Wood mag and FWW mag......For me those two are pretty hard to beat. I have also subscribed to Shop Notes, Workbench and a few others but have had a long stay with Wood and FWW.

Jim Becker
08-27-2004, 11:03 PM
I looked at one issue. Not for me.

Don Selke
08-28-2004, 1:52 AM
Had a one year subscription but dropped it when it expired. I am down to two magazines, Wood and Finewoodworking.

Michael Stafford
08-28-2004, 7:09 AM
I am in the midst of a one year subscription to WWJ because of a good offer. I will not renew when it is up. Ihave been subscribing to Wood since issue #1 and really like it. I also subscribe to Shopnotes and have incorporated numerous ideas from that magazine in my shop. Good teaching magazine as well. FWW is good as is Woodworks but Wood is my favorite.

Lou Morrissette
08-28-2004, 10:34 AM
I agree guys. For the money, I don't think you can beat Wood.

Lou

Steve Beadle
08-28-2004, 1:02 PM
Anyone read this mag? Got a reasonable offer in the mail and taught about subscribing. :rolleyes:
I, too, subscribed to Woodworker's Journal for about a year, then dropped it. I value FWW and Wood much more highly, but I also like Popular Woodworking very much.

Lloyd Robins
08-28-2004, 1:07 PM
I have subscribed to Wood for may years, but I am changing to Popular Woodworking. It has more on the Neanderthal side. I also just subscribed to FWW after checking it out at the library for awhile.

aurelio alarcon
08-29-2004, 7:34 AM
another vote for Wood, FWW and Popular woodworking.

Mark Singer
08-29-2004, 10:21 AM
I get "Wood", "Fine Woodworking" and "Woodwork" . I prefer "Fine Woodworking" and "Woodwork". Woodwork has had great recent articles ie: Wharton Esherick, Katsumi Mukai,"Making History" on the museun in Boston. They seem to include examples of "very good design" along with profiles on woodworkers and challenging projects ie: "Building a Folk Harp". The also get in to philosophy ie: "The Language of Furniture" history and metaphor".... I am very impressed with "Woodwork"...It seems that some of the magazines are filled with advertisements, an article on making a workshop table the has storage and a couple of machinery comparisons....there should be a whole lot more.

Jim Becker
08-29-2004, 10:42 AM
Mark, you're right, Woodwork is a very nice magazine, one that I've taken for a couple years now after discovering it while browsing a Barnes and Noble store in my travels. It's written a little different than other magazines and often dips into interesting artisan perspectives that other magazines don't feature. Articles tend to be more comprehensive than in many magazines in that a lot of detail isn't edited out. (It's truely a publication I wouldn't mind writing for because of that) I suspect a strong affinity with the Furniture Society (http://www.furnituresociety.org/) relative to the artists and events covered, too. My only complaint with this publication is the production quality...they really don't handle photos very well a lot of the time, but I suspect that helps keep their costs down, too.

If I had to pick three magazines to read consistantly, they would be Fine Woodworking, Woodwork and WOOD Magazine, not including American Woodturner which comes as part of my AAW (http://www.woodturner.org) membership. I've actually been culling my subscriptions to others in the last year as they come up for renewal given the duplication of reviews and projects that so often pervades the more mass-market publications. The only one I'm on the fence with right now is ShopNotes, which does come up with a bunch of great ideas from time to time...and has no advertising, per se.