PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Japan Ship 3508

Phyllis Williams
06-30-2009, 5:23 PM
If anyone could help this would be great...i am laser over 700 glasses for a customer. and with the language barrier its hard to relate to the customer i need better art work. if anyone could help that would be great. i attached the picture of the boat i am using.

Much Appreciated,
Phyllis

George M. Perzel
06-30-2009, 6:17 PM
Hi Phyllis;
I'm afraid that you are not very clear-what do you need?
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Phyllis Williams
06-30-2009, 6:27 PM
Sorry about that George,
i am in need of black and white artwork of the ship i posted...does not need to be vector...i'm having problems getting the right contrast to work with the glasses i'm am lasering. i thought maybe there is someone with more skills than me who can help me out.
Phyllis

Tim Bateson
06-30-2009, 6:43 PM
Phyllis,

Do a Google search on "JDS Kashima" & you'll find a few good ones.

example:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:TV_3508_-_JDS_Kashima.jpg

Phyllis Williams
06-30-2009, 6:52 PM
thats a great picture Tim,
but i'm having trouble turning the picture in black and white so i can laser onto glasses. the picture i posted is what the customer wants me to use. my sister ran the photo thru photoGrav for me...but we lost alot of the detail. the glasses i am lasering are looking nice, but the ship just does not look to good to me. maybe i'm to picky...lol let me see if i can scan the glass and post for you....thanks for the info...
Phyllis

David Fairfield
06-30-2009, 6:57 PM
Try posting your request on one of the warship fanatic bulletin boards like

www.steelnavy.com (http://www.steelnavy.com)

Also I think line art would laser much better than a photo, as low res lasered photos can look cheesy. I've engraved glasses with silhouettes of ships and the name & number, and they always look very classy.

HTH
Dave

Phyllis Williams
06-30-2009, 7:01 PM
Thanks David,
maybe i will give that a try...here is a sample of the ship i lasered on the whiskey glass...dont mind the fingers...i dont have my camera here at work....so i scanned it...i really appreciate everyones feed back...
Phyllis

George M. Perzel
06-30-2009, 7:14 PM
Phyllis;
OK- send me the best resolution pic you have and I will render it as an engraving-should work much better.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Phyllis Williams
06-30-2009, 7:19 PM
WOW you would do that for me...you are amazing...this is the best picture i have....i owe you one, or two or .....well you get the point...
;) Phyllis

Phyllis Williams
06-30-2009, 7:22 PM
sorry about that George the attachment didnt take...lets try that again. ok its telling me i already attached the file in this forum...please see the first post with the ship

Frank Corker
06-30-2009, 7:35 PM
Phyllis, you would be better searching for a line type drawing for that one, the surface of the glass has been hit too hard by the laser, I would think 300dpi or possibly even less but way too much power. It could well be the way that it has been processed.

Frank Corker
06-30-2009, 7:44 PM
Now I'm not 100% sure if this is the same type of ship but they look remarkably similar, perhaps one of your sailor friends might help you on the identification. They are both in cdr format and resizeable.

George M. Perzel
06-30-2009, 7:45 PM
Hi Phyllis;
Send me a email with the pic- the one posted is only 105KB.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts
gperzel@rochester.rr.com

Phyllis Williams
06-30-2009, 7:55 PM
Now I'm not 100% sure if this is the same type of ship but they look remarkably similar, perhaps one of your sailor friends might help you on the identification. They are both in cdr format and resizeable.
wow those are very close...but i need the ship with the number 3508...you are wonderful frank i really appreciate the effort...as for the settings on the glasses...i am using 400 dpi / 20 s / 80 p and using 50% black...
Thanks,
Phyllis

Bruce Volden
06-30-2009, 8:32 PM
If you have an extra glass I would recommend increasing the speed, decreasing the power and setting the ppi to 200 or less. On my 25 watt I would run it 150ppi, 25pwr, 50spd. Glass just fractures and most times you can seldom get the results you desire (perfection). My $0.02.

Bruce

Phyllis Williams
06-30-2009, 8:52 PM
If you have an extra glass I would recommend increasing the speed, decreasing the power and setting the ppi to 200 or less. On my 25 watt I would run it 150ppi, 25pwr, 50spd. Glass just fractures and most times you can seldom get the results you desire (perfection). My $0.02.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce,
I will give that a shot...hey i enjoy everyones $0.02, make me a rich woman...LOL
Phyllis

Christopher Scoggin
06-30-2009, 9:28 PM
This is the box art from a Japanese model company. With a little cleanup it could probably be vectorized...

https://www.fleetnet.jp/popup_image.php/pID/861/tID/0?osCsid=eacd88fde90f1486cea88ef9152dde2c

https://www.fleetnet.jp/images/99-901-01.jpg

Phyllis Williams
06-30-2009, 10:04 PM
WOW thanks chris,
i googled :eek: and that one never crossed my path....:rolleyes:
i will see if i can clean that one up...but, George is so kind to work with the photo i emailed him, i'm hoping with EVERYONE'S help i will have one nice looking ship....gee how does one send cookies to all who helped...LOL:p

Phyllis

Bill Cunningham
06-30-2009, 11:42 PM
wow those are very close...but i need the ship with the number 3508...you are wonderful frank i really appreciate the effort...as for the settings on the glasses...i am using 400 dpi / 20 s / 80 p and using 50% black...
Thanks,
Phyllis

Yup your hitting it way too hard.. Use the photograv 'glass' setting, but reduce the picture to 150 dpi 'before' running it through photograv, but laser it at 300 (or a even multiple) If you have a universal that does not use 300 dpi, then run the photo at 100, and laser at 200 dpi I don't know what power laser you have, but a start of 80% power, and 40% speed should put you in the neighborhood.. always use 100% black for photographs not a percentage of black.. Use percentages for text and solid graphics only.. This works for me, and I put a lot of photos on glasses..

Dave Garcia
07-01-2009, 12:09 AM
Phyllis,

You might try looking in Janes Fighting Ships. They have a number of line drawings that you might be able to use. Even though I worked just across the bay from where this actual ship was tied up, unfortunately I was not able to get a photo. Military security and all. Good luck. Oh, yes, in Janes, look under the Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force, or JMSDF.

Dave Garcia :)
The Wood Block, Ltd
USN Retired

Phyllis Williams
07-01-2009, 10:41 AM
Phyllis,

You might try looking in Janes Fighting Ships. They have a number of line drawings that you might be able to use. Even though I worked just across the bay from where this actual ship was tied up, unfortunately I was not able to get a photo. Military security and all. Good luck. Oh, yes, in Janes, look under the Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force, or JMSDF.

Dave Garcia :)
The Wood Block, Ltd
USN Retired
Dave thanks for the info...i will go check it out
Phyllis;)

Dave Garcia
07-01-2009, 6:31 PM
Phyllis,

Glad to help.

As a side bar, I note that you also live in California. Since returning to the states after living in Japan for 14 years, expanding my wood working business to include laser engraving, and joining SMC, I note that the majority of folks on this forum are East of the Sierra Nevada's. Have you also found this to be so?

I like to meet folks here in California within driving distance, for the specific purpose of visiting their places of business, exchanging ides and to see how others operate while asking for advice etc, without reinventing the wheel. Everyone on this forum has been extremely cooperative. Hopefully I haven't offended anyone by asking for help and advice in this manner.

Once I'm up and running I will gladly return the favor in any way possible.

Comments?

Dave :)
The Wood Block, Ltd

Phyllis Williams
07-01-2009, 11:37 PM
Phyllis,

Glad to help.

As a side bar, I note that you also live in California. Since returning to the states after living in Japan for 14 years, expanding my wood working business to include laser engraving, and joining SMC, I note that the majority of folks on this forum are East of the Sierra Nevada's. Have you also found this to be so?

I like to meet folks here in California within driving distance, for the specific purpose of visiting their places of business, exchanging ides and to see how others operate while asking for advice etc, without reinventing the wheel. Everyone on this forum has been extremely cooperative. Hopefully I haven't offended anyone by asking for help and advice in this manner.

Once I'm up and running I will gladly return the favor in any way possible.

Comments?

The Wood Block, Ltd

Hi Dave,
Well, welcome back to the states...14 years late...LOL
I really havent been on here that much to notice where most are from...i guess i best pay more attention...i have just started posting...

Visiting others sounds like a wonderful idea...

Everyone here has been wonderful and very helpful...
George was so wonderful he fixed the ship for me...as soon as i get the glasses done i will post a new picture....

;)Phyllis

Steven Wallace
07-02-2009, 12:17 AM
I am glad someone had finally mentioned Jane's. They are a world leader of military hardware, ships included. If someone is looking for military images and can't find it, Jane's is a great place to turn.

Phyllis Williams
07-02-2009, 10:28 AM
I went to Jane's yesterday and if i'm not mistaken in order to view any photos you have to join, with a fee??

;)Phyllis

Dave Garcia
07-02-2009, 11:24 PM
I went to Jane's yesterday and if i'm not mistaken in order to view any photos you have to join, with a fee??

;)Phyllis

Phyllis,

if you are trying to "get there" on line, then yes, you'll have to join etc. I'm sure there is a local library in your neck of the woods. You can find "Jane's Fighting Ships" either in the military section and or the reference section of the library. Also, if you are close to a Navy base, or any military base with a base library, you'll be able to find a hard copy of this same book there as well.

Hope this helps. Unfortunately I left "my copies" with the Navy when walking away after approximately 40 years of service in and out of uniform.

The Wood Block, Ltd

Phyllis Williams
07-03-2009, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the info Dave...i did a lot of googling today and was checking out blueprints...blueprints are more of a lineart...just hard finding Kashima 3508...

I did the glass today with the photo George fixed for me and because its not a lineart i lost a lot of detail...i will post the glass...George if you are reading this what do you think of the glass? The Glass on the left is the photo you fixed George, the one on the right my sister ran thru photograv.
Sorry for the glare, its not easy getting a nice picture of glasses with wording on both sides...:rolleyes:

the photo Christopher posted my work....

George M. Perzel
07-03-2009, 4:03 AM
Hi Phyllis;
Tough to see detail in pic- it's very difficult to get a good pic of something like this unless you're a photo expert.
Unfortunately this is one of those things which has a lot of variables and requires a lot of trial and error-use cheap window glass and run different contrast/brightness settings on the pic and different power settings on the laser. Offhand, it looks as if you may be using too much power or the image is too dark.
One other thing. If you find lineart of a similar ship, its real easy to change the vessel number to what you need.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Phyllis Williams
07-03-2009, 2:48 PM
Hi Phyllis;
Tough to see detail in pic- it's very difficult to get a good pic of something like this unless you're a photo expert.
Unfortunately this is one of those things which has a lot of variables and requires a lot of trial and error-use cheap window glass and run different contrast/brightness settings on the pic and different power settings on the laser. Offhand, it looks as if you may be using too much power or the image is too dark.
One other thing. If you find lineart of a similar ship, its real easy to change the vessel number to what you need.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Hi George,
I'm searhing my heart out for a lineart ship...i have a 4 day weekend to do it in...:D
the boat i lighten up to about a 50% black...my settings were 20s / 80p / 400 dpi...maybe i will try and reduce the power down...
I really appreciate your hard work on the ship...i can use that one for other jobs for this customer...trust me your hard work will not go to waste...;)

Ed Sallee
07-03-2009, 3:26 PM
I'm not an engraver...but find this post interesting....

Here's a couple of images that I found...

Also, my niece is from Tokyo - I'm sure she would be willing to translate for you....

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/evsallee/Misc/Kashima1.jpg
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/evsallee/Misc/Kashima2.jpg
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/evsallee/Misc/Kashima3.jpg
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/evsallee/Misc/Kashima5.jpg
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/evsallee/Misc/Kashima4.jpg

Phyllis Williams
07-03-2009, 3:41 PM
I'm not an engraver...but find this post interesting....

Here's a couple of images that I found...

Also, my niece is from Tokyo - I'm sure she would be willing to translate for you....

Ed thank you very much for the photos...those are great...i will save them...but because i am lasering the ship on glass i'm looking for lineart of the the ship...i really appreciate your interest in this...your wonderful.

Ed Sallee
07-03-2009, 3:45 PM
Well.... here's one more.... just for the heck of it.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/evsallee/Misc/Kashima8.jpg

Phyllis Williams
07-03-2009, 3:48 PM
Well.... here's one more.... just for the heck of it.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/evsallee/Misc/Kashima8.jpg
Thanks Ed,
I appreciate it...never now with my customer i may be able to use it.

Mike Null
07-03-2009, 4:00 PM
Here's one of the previous images hastily vectorized.

Phyllis Williams
07-03-2009, 5:08 PM
Here's one of the previous images hastily vectorized.
Hi Mike,
Thanks for that file...maybe i can do something with that one...