PDA

View Full Version : Visit with a San José Creeker

Jim Becker
08-27-2004, 10:12 PM
I paid a little visit with Mr. Padilla the other night while on the left-coast attending to bid-ness. The shop-to-be is going to be a nice one, I'm happy to report. Chris is doing a great job! And his wood collection that is waiting to become project components is awesome.

Alan Tolchinsky
08-27-2004, 10:27 PM
Nice pic. Chris is that little girl permanetly attached to you? Seems like every pic I see of you has her in it? :) But she's such a cutie who could complain. Alan in Md.

Jack Diemer
08-27-2004, 10:36 PM
Chris must be proud of that drill, anyone notice that it makes it into about half of Chris' pics.

Of course if I had that drill, I would be holding it on my Avatar.

Dennis Peacock
08-27-2004, 10:42 PM
I was wondering if you were going to be brave enough to post a pic or two of your visit with Chris on the Left-Coast.!!!! Nice pic and thanks for sharing.

Jim Becker
08-27-2004, 11:01 PM
Chris must be proud of that drill, anyone notice that it makes it into about half of Chris' pics. What drill?? :p

Rob Littleton
08-27-2004, 11:02 PM
Oh.......it's a drill. So the smile on JB face is...........oh......I see. My bad. :-)

Jim Becker
08-27-2004, 11:04 PM
Oh.......it's a drill. So the smile on JB face is...........oh......I see. My bad. Oops!! :eek: Thank goodness it's a depth of field illusion...:rolleyes:

John Miliunas
08-27-2004, 11:04 PM
Hey, looks like fun was had by all, though I'd still like to see a pic of those two guys tearing into a lobster...WITH bibs on! :eek: :D :cool:

Kevin Gerstenecker
08-27-2004, 11:10 PM
I remember when my Daughter was little like Chris's little darlin'. I don't blame ya one bit Chris...............I always had my baby girl on my hip too. They get big WAY too fast! My "Baby Girl" just started Pre Med at St. Louis University on Monday. Man, why do they have to get big SOOOO fast? :(

Good to hear you and Jim had a nice visit. That JB sure gets around, don't he? :p

Jerry Olexa
08-28-2004, 1:04 AM
Jim, Does Chris in person have that same sense of humor he uses liberally in his
posts and responses. I know he's a pretty good WW'er just poor with avatars.
Little humor there. JO:)

Ed Moehlenpah
08-28-2004, 1:08 AM
He's a great guy!
:D

Kelly C. Hanna
08-28-2004, 3:17 AM
A mini motley crew!! Thanks for posting the pic guys...good to see Creekers gettin' together. You both coming to Terry's BBQ?

Jim Becker
08-28-2004, 9:25 AM
Kelly, I can't make it to Terry's BBQ, but Mr. Chris will be there...

Rich Konopka
08-28-2004, 9:50 AM
Look like the Boys had a good time !! Is that a Cigar in your pocket? Lobsters and Cigars?? Hmmm.

Mark Singer
08-28-2004, 10:02 AM
Very nice! Chris very cute. Now Jim you were close, but as they say "no cigar! "
You were about 400 miles North of Laguna and missed stopping here. Lets see.... Another check mark goes next to Becker!

Kelly C. Hanna
08-28-2004, 10:03 AM
Sorry to hear you can't make it Jim...

Scott Coffelt
08-28-2004, 10:22 AM
That's definitely a unique ad for Festool.

It's always nice to meet a fellow WW'er face to face.

Jim Becker
08-28-2004, 10:42 AM
Is that a Cigar in your pocket? God forbid...that's my "cheater" glasses for reading! (leather case to protect them) I'm a totally anti-tobacco kind of person who is also married to someone who does cancer research...;) "hope you'll not hold that against me.:o

Mark Singer
08-28-2004, 1:26 PM
God forbid...that's my "cheater" glasses for reading! (leather case to protect them) I'm a totally anti-tobacco kind of person who is also married to someone who does cancer research...;) "hope you'll not hold that against me.:o
Does that explain why you didn't visit me? No ! I don't smoke either. Jim, I can send you a mapquest if your GPS is not working:eek:

Jim Becker
08-28-2004, 1:35 PM
Trust me, Mark...you're first on my list should I get to southern CA in my travels. The combination of awesome architecture that I'd like to touch and feel, great furniture design and your obvious interest in good food is very enticing! Besides...you have the right hair style, too... :D (One of the few electronic devices I don't own is a GPS...we didn't get it in the Prius due to the high cost {$1900})

Mark Singer
08-28-2004, 2:23 PM
Had the right hairstyle....I may do a new avatar to bring my present condition up to date...a bit conservative...well for an old hippy!

Jim Becker
08-28-2004, 3:55 PM
Had the right hairstyle....I may do a new avatar to bring my present condition up to date...a bit conservative...well for an old hippy!
Aach!! :eek: No....say it ain't so...:o

Mark Singer
08-28-2004, 6:58 PM
Jim,
When you come here ....I am buying! Leave your plastic in the Penn!

Chris Padilla
08-30-2004, 10:41 AM
Hey, the pic came out great, Jim! Yeah, that is mightly interesting placement of the CDD-12...Bob Marino would be proud! :D

It was great to meet Jim. Now I've got a face, voice, and body to go with all future communicae! :D However, my daughter wasn't so thrilled to meet Jim. :( She was quite terrified of him (we concluded it was the fuzz on his face) and wouldn't even sit in her child seat with Jim sitting in the front seat of the BMW...he had to follow us to the restaurant in his rental car! :D She did warm up to him a little bit towards the end of his visit.

I should have some new pictures to update the Garage Gut going on. Made some decent progress this weekend.

Tyler Howell
08-30-2004, 10:55 AM
[She was quite terrified of him (we concluded it was the fuzz on his face) and wouldn't even sit in her child seat with Jim sitting in the front seat of the BMW...he had to follow us to the restaurant in his rental car! :D She did warm up to him a little bit towards the end of his visit.

Yah! I had the same reaction when I first saw one of Jim's pix too! I feel much better in my car seat now.:D :p
Hey a word to all you folks. Get out and do a little visiting. I learned so much from just seeing other soggy bottom folks "methods of work". Made many good changes to my shop as a result.
Big thanks to all my hosts.;)

Jon Olson
08-30-2004, 10:58 AM
Chris,
I hope you took Jim to one of our fine San Jose restaurants-(AP Stumps or did you stick to true blue fresh Mex - Chevys)!!?? Jim how was your experience in our fine town??

jon

Chris Padilla
08-30-2004, 11:40 AM
Hi Jon,

Nice name and spelling...that is my middle name, spelling and all! :) We visited Chevy's (Almaden Expy and CA-85) near the big Costco there. Jim has a lot of nice comments about the weather...warm days, nice cool evenings! What's not to like!!?? :D

Tyler Howell
08-30-2004, 11:58 AM
Hi Jon,

What's not to like!!?? :D
Traffic and the cost of housing!
Other than that I love the Bay area, sailing, and the food are out of this world.

Keith Starosta
08-30-2004, 12:38 PM
Oh.......it's a drill. So the smile on JB face is...........oh......I see. My bad. :-)

BWAHAHAHAHA!!! Now THAT'S funny...... :D

Jon Olson
08-30-2004, 1:43 PM
Chris,
Chevy's seems to be the normal stop for our out of towners also.

Tyler,
Traffic has eased up with the dot bomb, but it still covers all four+ lanes in the afternoon, hence my continued desire to head to work at 5am every day!! The cost of housing is a kick-in-the-wallet every month but since I'm a SAn Jose native, I've known nothing else. But hey, with the growth in transplants from CA to Minneapolis, are you seeing any climbs in the costs of living??

Jon

Rich Konopka
08-30-2004, 3:58 PM
Hi Jon,

<snip> What's not to like!!?? :D
Let's see... Hmmmm. Traffic, cost of Housing, earthquakes. :p :D :p :D ;) ;)

Just Kidding. I'll be haunting you at the end of September.

Boo

Chris Padilla
08-30-2004, 8:23 PM
Rich,

Now tossing salt, knocking on birdseye maple, and crossing all toes and fingers, I have yet to go through any serious earthquakes since I moved to San Jose from Denver back in 1998.

Traffic stinks but it is no better/no worse than any other large urban area of the country. Cost of houses may be another story entirely...no kidding there but you really can't beat the weather out here in California unless, of course, you are like me and miss actually having 4 seasons....:rolleyes:

Dale Thompson
08-30-2004, 11:38 PM
Rich,

Now tossing salt, knocking on birdseye maple, and crossing all toes and fingers, I have yet to go through any serious earthquakes since I moved to San Jose from Denver back in 1998.

Traffic stinks but it is no better/no worse than any other large urban area of the country. Cost of houses may be another story entirely...no kidding there but you really can't beat the weather out here in California unless, of course, you are like me and miss actually having 4 seasons....:rolleyes:

Hi San Josey,
I was glad to see another picture of you and your "angel". I'm also glad to hear that Laguna is going to make an effort to "clean up" his image. Time will tell. :eek: :D

What are 4 seasons? Up here in the northwoods of Wisconsin we only have 2 seasons. Cold Winters and REALLY cold Winters!! Quit your complaining! ;)

Dale T. :)

Jim Becker
08-30-2004, 11:46 PM
Since I don't have one locally, Chevy's is a nice place for a meal when traveling and easy on the expense account. The last one was about a month ago in Falls Church VA. And they do have Dos Equis on tap... ;)

Tyler Howell
08-31-2004, 12:18 AM
Chris,

Tyler,
Traffic has eased up with the dot bomb, but it still covers all four+ lanes in the afternoon, hence my continued desire to head to work at 5am every day!! The cost of housing is a kick-in-the-wallet every month but since I'm a SAn Jose native, I've known nothing else. But hey, with the growth in transplants from CA to Minneapolis, are you seeing any climbs in the costs of living??

JonOh Yah Jon! My Bay Area Cuz was in town this past weekend and we were playing show and tell on housing and property. You win and can have it:eek: . Like everyone else I don't think I could afford to buy my own house today. (And it's not because of all these fine WW improvements I've made:o ) It has gone up 400% in the 14 years I've owned it.

Another thing I got to say about the Bay is you have bumper to bumper traffic but it moves!!:cool: Didn't see any rage! Didn't hear a lot of horn honky. folks just moved right along. Liked it.;)

Don Selke
08-31-2004, 4:13 AM
Hey Jim:

Did you get a chance to look and feel the curtains that were hanging on the door?

Jim Becker
08-31-2004, 9:05 AM
Did you get a chance to look and feel the curtains that were hanging on the door?
It was a "look, but don't touch" experience... :eek: :D

Jon Olson
08-31-2004, 9:22 AM
Dale, I thought the "4 seasons" in the north of WI were planting, harvesting, deer hunting, ice fishing!!!!! (I have friends in Pound, WI)

Tyler, you either work hard to buy or you rent for ever. We chose to buy in 2003 and could not even buy our house now if we wanted to. Up 12% in one year!!!

Jim, chevy's does have Dos Equis on tap and a great laid back atmosphere to boot.
Glad you enjoyed our hot weather!!!

Jon

Mark Singer
08-31-2004, 9:50 AM
I'm also glad to hear that Laguna is going to make an effort to "clean up" his image. Time will tell. :eek: :D

Dale,
Laguna cleaned up! Coming soon...in a theater near you!

Mark Singer
08-31-2004, 9:54 AM
[And they do have Dos Equis on tap... ;)[/QUOTE]
Jim,
I hope you like Carne Asada, Carnitas and an El Mojito Margarita....we go to Agave!

Chris Padilla
08-31-2004, 12:54 PM
[And they do have Dos Equis on tap... ;)Jim,
I hope you like Carne Asada, Carnitas and an El Mojito Margarita....we go to Agave!
I like it! I'll meet you two down there!!! :D :D

Jim Becker
08-31-2004, 6:34 PM
Glad you enjoyed our hot weather!!!
Hot?? I don't think so, Jon...mid-70s, puffy clouds and no humidity is nothing close to hot!!! When I stepped off the plane at home on Friday, it was a bit different...by about 15 degrees higher and a lot more moisture in the air. But even that's not hot compared to our friends in other parts of the country!

Fred Voorhees
08-31-2004, 8:17 PM
Hey, the pic came out great, Jim! Yeah, that is mightly interesting placement of the CDD-12...Bob Marino would be proud! :D

It was great to meet Jim. Now I've got a face, voice, and body to go with all future communicae! :D However, my daughter wasn't so thrilled to meet Jim. :( She was quite terrified of him (we concluded it was the fuzz on his face) and wouldn't even sit in her child seat with Jim sitting in the front seat of the BMW...he had to follow us to the restaurant in his rental car! :D She did warm up to him a little bit towards the end of his visit.

I should have some new pictures to update the Garage Gut going on. Made some decent progress this weekend.
Gee Chris - I thought I was the only one that scared the bejesus out of kids with my beard. Man, I have the problem all of the time. I even had problems with my very own godchild for a number of years before she realized what a delight I was :D !

Dale Thompson
08-31-2004, 9:21 PM
[QUOTE=Jon Olson]Dale, I thought the "4 seasons" in the north of WI were planting, harvesting, deer hunting, ice fishing!!!!! (I have friends in Pound, WI)

Jon,
Right on, guy! We plant water, harvest ice, hunt deer and sometimes ice fish. :D Unfortunately, there are quite a few years when the deepest lakes freeze right to the bottom. That makes chopping an "ice fishing hole" rather futile. ;) We are mostly Norwegians up here, though, so we keep on trying. :eek:

Do your friends know the Patz family in Pound? Pound is only about fifteen miles from Peshtigo.

Dale T.

Jon Olson
09-01-2004, 9:08 AM
Dale,
We drove through Peshtigo, while we visited last year. I'm sure they do (know the Patz family), his family's farmed the same lands for 3 generations (Rakowski Family) Freezing to the bottom, doesn't leave much room for fish. ;) We visited right before the deer hunting season opened in November last year---You guys sure are crazy about them deer!!!

Jim--You must have been visiting earlier in the week, by Saturday, it was Hot. Especially in a house with no AC.

Jon

Jim Becker
09-01-2004, 11:55 AM
Jim--You must have been visiting earlier in the week, by Saturday, it was Hot. Especially in a house with no AC.
I flew out on Friday morning...was "in the city" all day on Thursday, but indoors, so I didn't notice anything like "hot", at least in the sense of what I'm used to in the east. Dr SWMBO would point out that the solution to no A/C is to get A/C! <G>