PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic Switches

Matt Hutchinson
06-30-2009, 11:43 AM
I am in the process of setting up shop. All my power tools were bought used, and they need upkeep, repair, improvement, etc... Replacing the switches is high on the priority list, and 3 of the machines are 3 phase.

So, has anyone found a source for magnetic switches that can beat Grizzly's prices? It will cost me between $60 and $80 a machine at those rates!

OR, do you feel having a magnetic switch is not critical/necessary for certain tools?

OR is there another solution altogether?

Thanks,

Hutch

Rod Sheridan
06-30-2009, 12:55 PM
Hi Matt, I have mag switches on all my tools except for my scroll saw.

Mine are either Square D or Allen Bradley.

Mag switches are useful in that in the event of a power interruption, the tool doesn't start up upon return of power.

There have been discussions on this forum of low cost mag starters turning on when people have dropped pieces of wood on the saw, without hitting the start button.

I'd stay away from the low cost starters due to that.

Regards, Rod.

Matt Meiser
06-30-2009, 1:32 PM
If you know enough about what you are looking for and doing some wiring, Ebay and FactoryMation.com can be your friend.

I bought a NIB size 1 starter with an enclosure on Ebay for my Unisaw for about $30 shipped. I originally used small box and pushbuttons from FactoryMation but later bought a jointer with a nice vintage pushbutton station and put that on there. Those show up on Ebay as well. I have a few Allen-Bradley non-enclosed starters I've bought on Ebay as well. Or you can go with all new components from FactoryMation. The enclosure tends to be the priciest part.

Personally I prefer the larger "real" industrial pushbuuttons because of the mushroom head stop button. On my TS it is in the perfect position to hit it with my knee withotu taking my hands off the work. I do occasionally hit it accidentally, but that's a small price to pay for the safety.