PDA

View Full Version : new planer dilemma

Jeremy Brant
06-30-2009, 9:24 AM
I ordered a reconditioned Makita 2012NB planer 3 months ago for a price that sounded too good to be true ($215 shipped). Right now it's going for $569 new on amazon. It was backordered and the order was set to automatically be cancelled if it didn't come in within 3 months. I waited a couple months and figured they'd never get it in and sell it for that price, so I just picked up a Dewalt DW734 (new) for $350 shipped off ebay (currently $429 on amazon). I guess I should have cancelled the Makita, but I honestly didn't think it was going to come in. Go figure, but it shipped and is arriving today, exactly 3 months after ordering it.

Here's the dilemma...I'm only going to keep one of the planers, and I don't know which to keep. I haven't even gotten a chance to use the Dewalt yet, so right now it's in brand new unused condition. I could run test pieces through both and see which one works nicer, then sell the inferior one as lightly used. I don't think I would lose money on either machine doing it that way, but it'll be a little harder to sell. The other option is that I could draw on the vast experience of you folks and see what the consensus is on which is the better planer, then sell the other one as unused since I realize that some people are more comfortable buying in that condition. Thoughts?

John Callahan
06-30-2009, 5:42 PM
Tough call. I have the 2012NB which I chose over the DW735 and Delta 22-580. It would still be my first choice. Been pleased with mine- no issues. No experience with the DW734. I suspect the Mak would have better knife life and the knives are less expensive ......... that would be a clincher for me. Keep the Mak, sell the DW, and use the difference to buy some wood.

Joaquin Franco
06-30-2009, 6:38 PM
When I was researching benchtop planers before buying a DW 735, I read many favorable reviews for the Makita. I would have bought it if I would have found the same deal you got.

glenn bradley
06-30-2009, 10:17 PM
Sounds like the Makita is a winner. I've been very happy with my DW734 for years but have never used the Makita.

Dave Westover
07-01-2009, 2:35 AM
Ive got the makita and love it. No cutterhead lock, but snipe has not been an issue so far. Probably cant go wrong with either one. Hows that for a win win situation ;)

Cary Falk
07-01-2009, 4:39 AM
The Makita is suppose to be the quitest on the market from what I have seen from tests. I think the DeWalt is the loudest.